6 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: Personal Quests and Scenario Success/Failure? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Loiselle
Canada
flag msg tools
So you get a Battle Goal each time you try a scenario, and if you fail the scenario, you fail the Battle Goal.

However, the rulebook doesn't seem to specify what happens with your Personal Quest if you fail a mission.

For instance, if I have a Personal Quest to kill a certain amount of enemies, do I still count these even if I lost the scenario?

Does anyone know where in the rulebook it lays this out clearly?

For reference, p.33 is where it details scenario success/failure consequences, and Personal Goals are not mentioned. Page 38 is where Personal Quests are explained, but no details are given there either.

Thanks for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michele c
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
They count. It is stated nowhere that only what you do in an accomplished scenario counts for your personal goal. (unless it is stated on the personal goal, like complete X scenarios of Y type)

What if your quest ask you to spend money? You keep track separately of which money you earned in failed scenarios?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Loiselle
Canada
flag msg tools
Quote:
What if your quest ask you to spend money? You keep track separately of which money you earned in failed scenarios?

Very good point! Thanks for the clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc E

New Jersey
msg tools
mb
mhl7 wrote:
They count. It is stated nowhere that only what you do in an accomplished scenario counts for your personal goal. (unless it is stated on the personal goal, like complete X scenarios of Y type)

Since reading this something I thought was obvious has nagged at me:

For your example, "Complete X scenarios of Y type" is it implied that you must "Successfully complete" X scenarios, or is "Finishing" a scenario (success or fail) the same as "Completing" it?

The rule book section on "Finishing a scenario" never mentions the word "Complete" alone, but makes a couple of references to "Successful completion."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thespaceinvader -
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Finishing a scenario means successfully completing it.

If you didn't successfully complete it, you failed, rather than finishing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc E

New Jersey
msg tools
mb
I agree with your conclusion, however the rule book seems to have a broader definition of "Finishing a scenario". Of the two main paragraphs in that section, one talks about Success or failure and the other about When players successfully complete a scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.