Josh Hagood
United States
Eureka
CA
flag msg tools
Oh... I made myself sad...
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A player did this and asked me on our first game, and I had no answer. We ruled that, yes, the damage for throwing a card back during a short rest is a "Source of damage" as Ice Armor states, so it triggered it.

I was expecting it to not trigger for that since it goes against the theme a bit, but I also expected the card to say "on the next attack that damages you" or something, not "Source of damage".

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Erlandsson
msg tools
Vazzaroth wrote:
A player did this and asked me on our first game, and I had no answer. We ruled that, yes, the damage for throwing a card back during a short rest is a "Source of damage" as Ice Armor states, so it triggered it.

I was expecting it to not trigger for that since it goes against the theme a bit, but I also expected the card to say "on the next attack that damages you" or something, not "Source of damage".

I think the better solution would be to define the effect when you repick the lost card while quick-resting as "health reduction" and not damage, since it is something you do to yourself. The "Lightning class" can abuse the Quckresting repick quite a bit if you treat it like normal damage.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
Avatar
RAW, I would guess that yes this does count as a source of damage. The rulebook says that you suffer 1 damage, and since Frost Armor is worded as "sources of damage", this would apply just the same as trap damage.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ravi Bhikhie
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, keeping your initially picked card during a short rest triggers as a "source of damage".
If this isn't in the rulebook, it's in the FAQ somewhere.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Marney
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Frost Armor triggers on any source of damage, even those you inflict on yourself. Cards that only work on attacks, like the Hide Armor, will specify damage from an attack; this doesn't.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Vazzaroth wrote:
A player did this and asked me on our first game, and I had no answer. We ruled that, yes, the damage for throwing a card back during a short rest is a "Source of damage" as Ice Armor states, so it triggered it.

I was expecting it to not trigger for that since it goes against the theme a bit, but I also expected the card to say "on the next attack that damages you" or something, not "Source of damage".



But it's also 'wasting' a charge to a degree. You've used 1/2 of the card, to stop 1 damage, that you caused to yourself. Instead of stopping other damage that will most likely be higher.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
squegeeboo wrote:
Vazzaroth wrote:
A player did this and asked me on our first game, and I had no answer. We ruled that, yes, the damage for throwing a card back during a short rest is a "Source of damage" as Ice Armor states, so it triggered it.

I was expecting it to not trigger for that since it goes against the theme a bit, but I also expected the card to say "on the next attack that damages you" or something, not "Source of damage".



But it's also 'wasting' a charge to a degree. You've used 1/2 of the card, to stop 1 damage, that you caused to yourself. Instead of stopping other damage that will most likely be higher.

You actually don't have a choice whether to use a charge or not. Any source of damage is going to trigger the Ice Armor, thus expending a charge.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Joou wrote:
RAW, I would guess that yes this does count as a source of damage. The rulebook says that you suffer 1 damage, and since Frost Armor is worded as "sources of damage", this would apply just the same as trap damage.


Wow so does this block retaliate as well? Level 6 spellweaver and probably never used this correctly blush
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Hagood
United States
Eureka
CA
flag msg tools
Oh... I made myself sad...
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mustardayonnaiz wrote:
Joou wrote:
RAW, I would guess that yes this does count as a source of damage. The rulebook says that you suffer 1 damage, and since Frost Armor is worded as "sources of damage", this would apply just the same as trap damage.


Wow so does this block retaliate as well? Level 6 spellweaver and probably never used this correctly blush


Im pretty sure, based on the answers here, yes. IIRC from the rulebook, retaliate doesn't get reduced from shield since shield only works on attacks, but Frost armor says "source of damage" rather than attack. Just to illustrate the difference.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mustardayonnaiz wrote:
Joou wrote:
RAW, I would guess that yes this does count as a source of damage. The rulebook says that you suffer 1 damage, and since Frost Armor is worded as "sources of damage", this would apply just the same as trap damage.


Wow so does this block retaliate as well? Level 6 spellweaver and probably never used this correctly blush

yes. any source of damage. Including retaliate and wound (it wouldn't prevent the wound status effect, nor heal it, but it would prevent the damage). Granted, most of the time, you'd rather not waste the charges on 1-2 HP damage, but you don't have a choice once the ability has been played.

And it is called "Frost Armor", not "Ice Armor".
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
squegeeboo wrote:
Vazzaroth wrote:
A player did this and asked me on our first game, and I had no answer. We ruled that, yes, the damage for throwing a card back during a short rest is a "Source of damage" as Ice Armor states, so it triggered it.

I was expecting it to not trigger for that since it goes against the theme a bit, but I also expected the card to say "on the next attack that damages you" or something, not "Source of damage".



But it's also 'wasting' a charge to a degree. You've used 1/2 of the card, to stop 1 damage, that you caused to yourself. Instead of stopping other damage that will most likely be higher.

You actually don't have a choice whether to use a charge or not. Any source of damage is going to trigger the Ice Armor, thus expending a charge.


Right, that's mostly my point. You've now wasted one of your charges on a 1 point damage you decided to give to yourself, instead of against a stronger source of damage.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Hagood
United States
Eureka
CA
flag msg tools
Oh... I made myself sad...
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
squegeeboo wrote:
JayJ79 wrote:
squegeeboo wrote:
Vazzaroth wrote:
A player did this and asked me on our first game, and I had no answer. We ruled that, yes, the damage for throwing a card back during a short rest is a "Source of damage" as Ice Armor states, so it triggered it.

I was expecting it to not trigger for that since it goes against the theme a bit, but I also expected the card to say "on the next attack that damages you" or something, not "Source of damage".



But it's also 'wasting' a charge to a degree. You've used 1/2 of the card, to stop 1 damage, that you caused to yourself. Instead of stopping other damage that will most likely be higher.

You actually don't have a choice whether to use a charge or not. Any source of damage is going to trigger the Ice Armor, thus expending a charge.


Right, that's mostly my point. You've now wasted one of your charges on a 1 point damage you decided to give to yourself, instead of against a stronger source of damage.


On the other hand, you could quickly Short Rest at the end of a scenario to get the last XP off your Frost Armor when everyone is wrapping up the last monster.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Erlandsson
msg tools
mustardayonnaiz wrote:
Joou wrote:
RAW, I would guess that yes this does count as a source of damage. The rulebook says that you suffer 1 damage, and since Frost Armor is worded as "sources of damage", this would apply just the same as trap damage.


Wow so does this block retaliate as well? Level 6 spellweaver and probably never used this correctly blush

*Minor Lightning Class Spoiler but very related to the above*
This effect can really creates some comical situations for the Lightning Class. It has an aura which gives a "Free attack" when taking damage, then you attack a retaliating Monster, Wack Wack Wack Wack Wack Wack!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
squegeeboo wrote:
Vazzaroth wrote:
A player did this and asked me on our first game, and I had no answer. We ruled that, yes, the damage for throwing a card back during a short rest is a "Source of damage" as Ice Armor states, so it triggered it.

I was expecting it to not trigger for that since it goes against the theme a bit, but I also expected the card to say "on the next attack that damages you" or something, not "Source of damage".



But it's also 'wasting' a charge to a degree. You've used 1/2 of the card, to stop 1 damage, that you caused to yourself. Instead of stopping other damage that will most likely be higher.

You actually don't have a choice whether to use a charge or not. Any source of damage is going to trigger the Ice Armor, thus expending a charge.


Except in this case you do have that choice, because you're making the choice to burn 1 HP to redraw a lost card on a short rest. The only times I could imagine someone choosing to do this is if they just want the XP or they drew Reviving Ether as the lost card.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.