Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not as fiddly and subject to cube or counter chaos as some games but still, I would have thought someone would have come up with an overlay to secure damage and action tokens and such.

Did I miss it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The market size (for this game) isn't big enough for a 3rd party vendor to offer something. BUT, there's always hope, right? So I submit that if anyone would do it, it'd be this guy:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/BoardGameBoost

I got his overlays for Great Western Trail, and they're awesome!

Perhaps if several of us were to ask him?

The only problem - especially for SoG - would be the cost. We should expect at least $6 - $8 for each overlay. So how many ship mats do we usually have active at any one time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The most I have had is 12 at the same time, for a large battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see the need or value in "securing" the ship charts. You're adding or shifting chits all the time-- every turn actually, with the number depending on the level of complexity in the game.

Is this chrome without cause?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:
The market size (for this game) isn't big enough for a 3rd party vendor to offer something.

Well, actually there are several unofficial accessories both for Wings of Glory and for Sails of Glory. Even if not this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have twice seen someone brush a sleeve or shirt across a ship mat, sweeping counters all over the place. Something "slotted" might have prevented this. So would playing with people with manners.

Some people like to spruce up their play areas with acrylic this and that. Whatever gets the game to the table has my support.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks, Andrea. I'm aware of a few accessories - and most likely not all of them! I'm just thinking that the market demographic for SoG hasn't yet reached the size where a vendor would be motivated to design and market an acrylic overlay. If you look at the overlays produced by BoardGameBoost, he only offers overlays for the most popular games in our hobby. That's what I meant.

But now you have me searching for more accessories!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul cleveland
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
“You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato
badge
"Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see. " -Unknown author ?
mbmbmbmbmb

There is a related conversation on an old thread at Anchorage discussing dry erase possiblities with shipmats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that I have more games under my belt I agree with Kevin. Probably not worth the bother.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
I’m planning to rough out a wooden replacement mat, with depressions to keep counters from moving unintentionally. However, I’m reconsidering the layout of the original mats. For one thing, I can’t find any photos of anyone using the reservoir of action tokens for its intended purpose (and it seems far too small for the job). Do any of you have thoughts for a more useful layout, assuming you’re not constrained by the dimensions of the original mats?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I try to use that reservoir as much as I can... just haven't taken any pictures of me doing so!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.