Ryan Sherwood
msg tools
So my wife loves this as I do even my hardcore gaming group likes it for something easy between games. Is there anything out there that is similar to this but is still a light weight game, I am not as familiar with the lighter side of RPG/ CYOA/ Dungeon Crawl style games.? We aren't by no means done with this game but looking to expand for my wife

I have on order Expedition, Forest of Fate which have this choose your own adventure vibe about them but aren't heavy.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Liakhovich
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly recommend One Deck Dungeon, although it is a step up in complexity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Chamoy
United States
Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Legacy of Dragonholt! Similar lightweight RPG that tells a great story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Fuller
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Off the top of my head, Delve was one that has a feel for EtDC, with slightly more mechanics and gameplay. Less of the eloquently rich flavor text but every bit the dungeon crawl and decision making aspects. And Delve definitely does have narrative elements.

[EDIT: I just now saw that the OP mentioned these other two games, but I'll keep my post as is!]:

Another one that's just about to ship via KS (and presumably will be available soon for everyone) is Forest of Fate, which is a co-op story-based fantasy adventure through cardplay and with Choose Your Own Adventure storytelling elements.

Another one I recommend for the narrative and ability to dive right in and get to gaming is Expedition, which is another co-op with Choose Your Own Adventure-style gameplay and a good RPG-feel without all the setup and teardown. It requires a smartphone which runs the adventures and combat and has some interesting features - one of which is a timed-combat card selection where you must all touch the phone within the time limit or else take additional damage. Light and fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Sherwood
msg tools
hackryder wrote:
Off the top of my head, Delve was one that has a feel for EtDC, with slightly more mechanics and gameplay. Less of the eloquently rich flavor text but every bit the dungeon crawl and decision making aspects. And Delve definitely does have narrative elements.

[EDIT: I just now saw that the OP mentioned these other two games, but I'll keep my post as is!]:

Another one that's just about to ship via KS (and presumably will be available soon for everyone) is Forest of Fate, which is a co-op story-based fantasy adventure through cardplay and with Choose Your Own Adventure storytelling elements.

Another one I recommend for the narrative and ability to dive right in and get to gaming is Expedition, which is another co-op with Choose Your Own Adventure-style gameplay and a good RPG-feel without all the setup and teardown. It requires a smartphone which runs the adventures and combat and has some interesting features - one of which is a timed-combat card selection where you must all touch the phone within the time limit or else take additional damage. Light and fun.

OOh I will check out Delve, thanks. Yes Expedition looks good and from what I hear they keep adding content and mechanics to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
The Great Silicon Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say Four Against Darkness is on par with Escape the Dark Castle. 4AD is an old school solo dungeon crawl. If you add the expansions you get more monsters, encounters and optional rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Sherwood
msg tools
tekawiz wrote:
I would say Four Against Darkness is on par with Escape the Dark Castle. 4AD is an old school solo dungeon crawl. If you add the expansions you get more monsters, encounters and optional rules.

Another interesting one, I like the simplicity of it. Thanks for the suggestions everyone keep them coming if you can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Corbally
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maximum Apocalypse, different theme (Surviving various "end of the world" type scenarios) but another fairly light rules, quick to get into game (a bit more to the rules, but still on the light side).
Sub Terra (may not be in all retail yet) - different theme (trapped in a cave, team looking to get out), but another quick to get up and playing, light rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rogányi Antal
msg tools
Dungeonquest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.