Roberto Setola
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Nec Recisa Recedit
mbmbmbmbmb
I am new to the game and enjoying the first campaign.
I would benefit from a clarification regarding a couple of rules:

1) Some Battle Plans provide bonus to Infantry or Cavalry units (eg: Flank or Infantry). Rules define three unit types: Ground Troops; Cavalry; Siege Engines and Walls.
a) Does Cavalry in Battle Plans apply to all cavalry units or just LC and HC?
b) Does Infantry in Battle Plans apply specifically only to infantry units or to all Ground Troops?

2) The Rules define the concept of Force Advantage (# of Macedonian minus # of Enemy units). The Intimidation die roll modifier refers to Force Difference. Is it the same concept?

Thank you for helping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Freedom Rider - Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers
badge
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
mbmbmbmbmb
boboset wrote:
1) Some Battle Plans provide bonus to Infantry or Cavalry units (eg: Flank or Infantry). Rules define three unit types: Ground Troops; Cavalry; Siege Engines and Walls.
a) Does Cavalry in Battle Plans apply to all cavalry units or just LC and HC?
b) Does Infantry in Battle Plans apply specifically only to infantry units or to all Ground Troops?

If you look on page 7, you'll see that Infantry is one of the types of ground troops; the ones marked IN. You'll also see that Cavalry is a header covering three types: Chariots, Heavy Cavalry and Light Cavalry. That is how I play it.

boboset wrote:

2) The Rules define the concept of Force Advantage (# of Macedonian minus # of Enemy units). The Intimidation die roll modifier refers to Force Difference. Is it the same concept?

They are calculated the same way, but used differently. Force Advantage works with Battle plans, but you must have more than your opponent in order to use it. Force Difference is used when attacking Strongholds, and applies whether positive or negative (see the Stronghold section of the Player Log).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Setola
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Nec Recisa Recedit
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your help.
I have interpreted the rules the same way.
I wonder if #1 (i.e. different scope of Infantry and Cavalry was indeed intentional, or just an editing oversight).
For Force Difference, I think the rules should have provided a definition, as they do for Force Advantage.
Thank you again for chiming in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Kieffer

Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmb
The FAQ says it applies to HC, LC and Chariots
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.