Subject: Choosing investigator >> Random Investigator rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lorenzo Carnevale
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Is it just me or the game becomes way easier if you choose carefully the investigators?
Especially if one of you investigators dies midgame and you can pick carefully another one to treat the situation that came up at that point.
Last game our main issues was having 3 cities with 6 monsters each. My investigator died, I chose Diana Stanley as my new investigator and solved the problem in 3 turns...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that's true.

With all the expansions it is easy to draft a dream team. But that comes at the cost of replayability.

So we do one of the following:
- on multiplayer games, draw two (or three if feeling generous) investigators randomly and choose one.
- on solo games, I draw 3 randomly and pick the last 1 to make a balanced team.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Eklund
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play 2P two-handed only and we always pick 4 investigators each randomly and from these we select 2. If someone dies, then we choose from those we didn't choose at the beginning of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually play solo with 4 investigators. I will draw 8 investigators and choose my 4 from those. If an investigator dies, the next one out is a random draw.

If I play with others, I usually just let them choose who they want to play, so they get into the game more right off the bat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bj Price
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
Organization makes me happy!
badge
"Cult" is what a big congregation calls a little congregation.
mbmbmbmbmb
I mainly play solo with 4 investigators. When I play, I choose 2 and pick 2 at random. Whenever someone dies, the new investigator is always chosen at random. After choosing my investigators I then also choose the Ancient One at random. The last game I played the randomness created a dream team where I beat Azathoth too easily. I ended up playing until the mythos deck ran out anyway and solved 5 mysteries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fre kol
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
I usually pick all investigators at random. It forces me to come up with alternate strategies, and gives the less powerful investigators the same chance to shine as the more powerful ones. Until they are eliminated, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris E
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also play solo with 4 investigators, but one twist I like is that I keep my investigator cards in a stack with the most recently played ones going to the back. So my initial 4 are totally random, but in-game replacements come from the top of the stack, so they are the least played ones coming in mid-game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Thurlow
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We usually have 3-4 players. We randomly hand out three investigators to each player and they chose the order in which they play them. We have yet to win so we definitely are not optimizing our choices but we play more for the story anyways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dev Sodagar
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
The Ragados
badge
Ragados
mbmbmbmbmb
For the Arkham Files games (except the new LCG) I always play it so that each investigator is selected from a two randomly drawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play with random, I let my friends choose if I play in a group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My last solo "session' of EH was an A to Z challenge facing the AO's in alphabetical order and using the Investigators in reverse order in groups of 4. If they win they face the next AO if they lose they are all considered dead and a the next four are drawn.

Has made for some fun combos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Dean
msg tools
We do both. Sometimes random, sometimes we select a solid team. Depends upon our mood. If we've lost five or six games in a row, well, time to get out a solid team and show those ancient ones what it means to be human.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just John
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Behind every fear, is a person you want to be.
mbmbmbmb
I pick Skids every time. No exceptions. The rest I usually divvy three piles of cards and pick randomly from there. Other times I'll pick one or two others I want to go on an adventure with.

Really all that matters is that you have fun. If you want unpredictability, choose random every time. And prepare to be disappointed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Rasmussen
msg tools
mbmbmb
nobody82b wrote:

- on solo games, I draw 3 randomly and pick the last 1 to make a balanced team.

I like this one. Played it last night. Lost bad, but what can you do (I’m looking at you “each investigator rolls one die and loses that health/sanity”)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Reece
United States
Leesburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We draw 2 or 3 random each and pick from them. If our investigator dies, we always draw random for a replacement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.