Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maximilian Berbechelov
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So... I am a casual Star Wars fan even though I think I know most of the stuff since I've watched them like 10 times. So I love Rebellion with the expansion.

But ... first of all, when the expansion was announced I was hoping it will add more to the universe, but except Jabba it added Jyn Erso and co. Don't get me wrong I like Rogue One a lot - but why?

Why not Episodes I, II and III? Why not Episodes VII, VIII?

Adding Anakin, Padme and everything that happened I - III would have been way more compelling. Rey, Finn and whatnot would have won me the same way.

Is Star Wars Destiny the only game where I could get the whole universe? Like Rey + Qui Gon Jinn? I know it's not that realistic but it's really compelling.

I really don't want to get into CCG, but if that's the only way...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hannes Sörensson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of people despise the prequels and everything in them. Rogue One seems to have gone over well with fans, and including it makes sense from a cross-marketing POV.

Also the game makes a lot more sense thematically this way - it depicts the time period of the original films and does so in a fairly realistic way (e.g. main characters like Luke and Han have to be recruited and might not even show up at all).

The kind of "loose" theme and continuity that you seem to be looking for is perhaps more suited to CCGs/LCGs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Mudrak
Slovakia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I absolutely agree with what Hannes said. From a time and theme perspective, Rogue One was the most sensible way to go...

I for one have no problem with the prequels, but can easily imagine the wave of discontent that this direction could have led to. Then there is also the fact that such expansion would need a lot new minis (Trade Federation, Republic) and would be putting a high price tag on itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maximilian Berbechelov
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh well, I didn't think about that.

I like the prequels a lot.

I think only the hardcore fans hate them, because they remember what an amazing thing it was to see the old star wars and then when it was new it was just another movie and they were expecting the same feeling.

Also - they were making the prequel story in their heads for decades and then those movies told them some mumbo jumbo about Anakin becoming Vader and they were disappointed the movie is not what they want it to be. (Just like any movie in this century amof).

Anyway, I hope the new or newer trilogy will make it some way into the game since it's an amazing game and I'm sure FFG will find a way to make it thematic.

Maybe I should go dig into some miniatures SW game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donagh Molloy
Ireland
Limerick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No most people hate them but yes I do know some people who like them but probably not enough to warrant an expansion. I think the prequels are just to far back in the timeline for the theme. Personnelly I think the prequels are dreadfully boring but I wouldn't mind them bring in some star wars rebels references in the next expansion instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal K
msg tools
My memory might be getting the better of me, but I believe there was no Empire during the Prequels?

Maybe later during Episode 3 at most.

If there was no empire, wouldnt make much sense because there was no rebellion either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The percent of people who say they hate the Prequels vs the percent of people that actually hate the prequels is probably a pretty wide margin. The PT had plenty of issues but not as much as the "Lucas raped my childhood" gang pretends. There was a vocal group that detests The Last Jedi and I have seen things on social media as bad about TLJ as the PT, but new Star Wars is never going to please all of it's fans, hell many were upset with Return of the Jedi and their dancing teddy bears. Disney seems to want to keep the games in the OT to ST realm and FFG has been keeping a lot of their games in OT timeline, Armada, Legion, IA, LCG, with only X-Wing touching the ST and Destiny covering everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game takes place during the original trilogy and Rogue One happens immediately before that, it is part of the same story arc.

The prequels would really need their own scenario, it's a different story and different situation.

The newest trilogy will also need a new scenario, but it hasn't been complete yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
n815e wrote:
The game takes place during the original trilogy and Rogue One happens immediately before that, it is part of the same story arc.

The prequels would really need their own scenario, it's a different story and different situation.

The newest trilogy will also need a new scenario, but it hasn't been complete yet.

Hannes and Noel hit a lot of my points!

Rogue 1's story fits in perfectly with both the OT and this game.
while I don't think it was perfect it was def more SW than anything since RotJ (with the 1 exception that Han felt like the real Han in Ep7)

while I get that the characters from R1 don't really feel like the OT ones, they don't detract from this game (the only 1 i don't like is Krennic's finest - that one is just stupid)

To be honest I do expect them to have more expansions (now that they made 1), and I don't really want it, cause it will make it more diluted. But I do know that when I first watched R1, I was thinking throughout the movie how much I want to go home and play this game (before the expansion came out) - and then we went home and watched a A new hope
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Cusm wrote:
The percent of people who say they hate the Prequels vs the percent of people that actually hate the prequels is probably a pretty wide margin. The PT had plenty of issues but not as much as the "Lucas raped my childhood" gang pretends. There was a vocal group that detests The Last Jedi and I have seen things on social media as bad about TLJ as the PT, but new Star Wars is never going to please all of it's fans, hell many were upset with Return of the Jedi and their dancing teddy bears. Disney seems to want to keep the games in the OT to ST realm and FFG has been keeping a lot of their games in OT timeline, Armada, Legion, IA, LCG, with only X-Wing touching the ST and Destiny covering everything.

That is a whole lot of abbreviations. You may have good points, but I just don't want to bother deciphering all of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saro Gumusyan

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Decipher CCG did a fantastic job fleshing out every on-screen (and some off-screen) characters by combing the Expanded Universe, but there just weren't many OT candidates left for the expansion besides Motti and Jabba. The only possible route they could've taken is to use characters from Shadows of the Empire, one of the most developed EU projects. But that is now cast aside in the "Legends" lore, unless I am mistaken.

However, I'm positive they're saving Thrawn for another possible expansion, with the Rebels series being a natural tie-in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I apologize for IA - Imperial Assault, LCG - Living Card Game and FFG - the company of all of these games we are discussing, Fantasy Flight Games. But PT/OT/ST and TLJ (which I did type out 4 words earlier) are on you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This is a game about the Empire searching for the Rebel Alliance's base. That sets it at a pretty firm point in the timeline; there's simply no room for content from the prequel or sequel trilogies. The closest you can probably hope for is some sort of "full conversion" expansion (Star Wars: Resistance and/or Star Wars: Republic if you will) that basically just reuses the board and basic rules framework, but brings its own units, cards, etc. that don't mix with the current ones along with a new asymmetric goal structure, and honestly they'd probably be better off publishing such a thing as its own separate game rather than limit its potential market to owners of Rebellion.

If they do decide to release another expansion, the most likely source of content would be the Rebels animated series IMO. Fits the timeframe and FFG has shown it a lot of love in their other SW product lines. And most importantly, it would give us Thrawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Gravett
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I don't think it's about the unpopularity of the sequels - that's never stopped Fantasy Flight from drinking from that well of content. Instead, I think it's about the mechanics. Rebellion is unique and cool because it's an asymmetric guerrilla war. The Separatist war is about two well-equipped combatants, just a clone army versus a robot army. It would just be two-player RISK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
swankidelic wrote:
Yeah, I don't think it's about the unpopularity of the sequels - that's never stopped Fantasy Flight from drinking from that well of content. Instead, I think it's about the mechanics. Rebellion is unique and cool because it's an asymmetric guerrilla war. The Separatist war is about two well-equipped combatants, just a clone army versus a robot army. It would just be two-player RISK.

I am not so sure about that. The stories were still 'mission' style and there was a lot of cat and mouse. I bet they could come up with interesting ways to play it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
n815e wrote:
swankidelic wrote:

I am not so sure about that. The stories were still 'mission' style and there was a lot of cat and mouse. I bet they could come up with interesting ways to play it out.

It'd really be one-player Risk, since Palpatine was in charge of both groups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maybe the equivalent to hunting the Rebel base in a prequel version would be the Jedi trying to expose the unknown Sith Lord, and instead of Rebel influence the opposing time limit would be an Order 66 marker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Play destiny.

It's fun and doesn't have to be expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve M
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jooice wrote:

...(the only 1 i don't like is Krennic's finest - that one is just stupid)

I agree, I felt they could have found some actual character from the movies. If no other characters from R1, then someone from the OT, like Bossk or the Wampa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StevenTM wrote:
jooice wrote:

...(the only 1 i don't like is Krennic's finest - that one is just stupid)

I agree, I felt they could have found some actual character from the movies. If no other characters from R1, then someone from the OT, like Bossk or the Wampa.

the General on Scariff has more screen time than most of the admirals in A new hope.
It really should have been him.

Also I really didn't like that Krennic's finest (KF) was definitively stronger than Veers.
KF

Veers: 2 red symbols: tactics 1 space, 3 ground

IF they gave KF 1 big red symbol and 2 small ones that would be ok.
Or if they only gave KF a 0 in space and 3 on the ground for tactics that would also be interesting. As it is the only "drawback" to KF is the action cards, which I am not sure are worse than veers (even tho Veer's destroy 1 building card has become much better)

is this the wrong thread for this whistle sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without considering the Action cards, sure, Krennic's Finest is better than Veers. But that's not a fair comparison. Veers has really good Action cards that always made him a tempting choice. I don't think the KF Actions are as attractive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genestealer Patriarch
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
demoss1 wrote:
Without considering the Action cards, sure, Krennic's Finest is better than Veers. But that's not a fair comparison. Veers has really good Action cards that always made him a tempting choice. I don't think the KF Actions are as attractive.

And Veers' mission is a potential game-winner, whereas KF's... isn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Patriarchxyz wrote:
demoss1 wrote:

And Veers' mission is a potential game-winner, whereas KF's... isn't.

It is true that planetary assault is probably the most important mission... but you dont need veers for that. Vader can accomplish that mission just fine, and so can KF, you dont have the auto successes but still.

KFs actions are pretty good, and neither acctually requires the use of him which os pretty good as well.

Veers' destroy structure has become much more useful in my opinion to single handedly be the best anti-turtelling strategy

The other veers card (with piett) is also very good, but I think I tend to take piett in most of those situations, 3 space tactics is just too rare for the empire (with KF in the bunch lifting up the ground 3 tactics)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Figurski
United States
Westchester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
The last thing I'd want would be to have the board game ruined by cross-eras... If you want prequels, than how about a star wars: republic board game instead of ruining star wars: rebellion... But please, no cross-eras.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rogue Knight
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OurBG wrote:
So... I am a casual Star Wars fan even though I think I know most of the stuff since I've watched them like 10 times. So I love Rebellion with the expansion.

But ... first of all, when the expansion was announced I was hoping it will add more to the universe, but except Jabba it added Jyn Erso and co. Don't get me wrong I like Rogue One a lot - but why?

Why not Episodes I, II and III? Why not Episodes VII, VIII?

Adding Anakin, Padme and everything that happened I - III would have been way more compelling. Rey, Finn and whatnot would have won me the same way.

Is Star Wars Destiny the only game where I could get the whole universe? Like Rey + Qui Gon Jinn? I know it's not that realistic but it's really compelling.

I really don't want to get into CCG, but if that's the only way...

The main reason? Because the game is called "Rebellion", which takes place from Rogue One to Episode VI. The premise of the game takes place during the Galactic Civil War. It doesn't really make sense in any other era.

The Rebellion did not occur in the prequels or during Episodes VII and VIII.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.