Subject: Replayability? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

was wondering about the replayability of this one... is the solution to each case always the same or does it vary?

Any more info you think is relevant, please share.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is replayability in the following ways:

You can choose from 4 Detectives and 4 Police Inspectors in the base game, each with a different special action that affects game play.

While there is only one Case in the base game it does not have a solution per se but you will come up against 1 of 4 different Criminals once you find the clues you need.

The Storyline cards you use in the game never come out the same way twice and this affects game play and the finding of clues.

If you add on the Expansion, now you receive 3 more cases, each with some tweaks, 4 more Detective to choose from and 4 new Mastermind Criminals.

And I am, working on 3 additional cases as well which will bring the total up to 7. Just waiting on the OK from the publisher about those. I'd like to see the base game come with 4 Cases on it's own. This is the publisher's decision though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wyka
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the confusion here is that the game is set up to look like a deduction game, but it isn't. It appears to be a dice manipulation game, with the dice requirements changing as cards come out. I'm not sure if that's entirely accurate, but it isn't a game where there is a case to "solved" and then can't be repeated - even though the word "case" is used to determine the parameters of a specific game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it is not a deduction game, you are right it is more about dice manipulation.

Each case has a different number of hours to solve it in and a few tweaks to game play which causes you to adjust your strategies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Haas
United States
Lenexa
KS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

To me, it is also a story telling game. You are this certain person and spend time one actions and find clues from this other person and then get stymied for a few hours and don't get any clues. And later meet this boss dude in an epic battle. The game lends itself to a narrative very easily. The theme comes through really well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Gene and yes I like the fact of that in the game. As you play a story develops. While the flavor text is minimal it, and the pulp artwork, really bring the narrative quality alive
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Fitzgerald
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Would it be in line to say that it's a bit like Elder Sign but with more specific scenarios?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Originally yes this game was to have been a 18 card express version of Elder Sign only using cards. The game has grown beyond that in many ways but the seed of the game yes used the idea of rolling dice to match icons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the feeling that it'll give a similar experience as The Lost Expedition - with dice. Different cards will provide a different puzzle every time, with a story evolving as you go through the deck. (Would you agree?)

Furthermore it looks as if more cases could be added to the base game as stretch goals. So if the campaign is reasonably successful, the base game will come with a more satisfying amount of cases.

Two questions:
What's the difference between Detectives and Police Inspectors?

Are there any PnP files? Not necessarily free, but for example as an instant reward for backers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, different cards (different case, detective chosen, criminal discovered and items card chosen) will give you a different mix each time.

And yes 3 cases are now included in the Base Game box and 3 more in Expansion box.

You specifically use the Police Inspectors for the 2 player variants (but you can choose to play them as solo characters as well) - 1 Police Inspector and 1 Detective.

There are no PnP files. Our licensing agreement with Steeger Properties who owns all the pulp artwork does not allow that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

The game seems to be fun. Also the use of the Pulp theme and artwork is neat. I just happen to consider re-theming it with my favourite mystery series. That's why I was interested in PnP files (obviously, I'd back it first).

All the best with the campaign!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.