Adam Watson
Australia
Ryde
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all.

Soon I may be playing this game with people that haven't watched the show. I'm not worried about spoilers as they probably won't watch the show and we're just playing the base game anyway, but I know they will love the game.

In lieu of showing them the pilot to give some back story, I need a "Script" for a quick synopsis, brief enough to give them enough to play. I have something in mind, but it would be good to have something in writing so that I neither ramble on aimlessly, include stuff not needed to play the game nor miss anything important.

Any help would be appreciated

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check the file area, such as this:

Teaching Battlestar in 6 Easy Steps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Watson
Australia
Ryde
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the link. But I've played the game will enough and taught it many times. I just need a brief script of the show synopsis containing just enough information to get the story and get the most out of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the game several times before ever watching the show.

Brief synopsis: You're the last human survivors in space trying to find your way to a new home. There are robots on the ship (called Cylons) that can look human and are trying to kill you all.

They might miss some specific references, and wonder things like "why does Boomer go to the brig?" and "Who is Tom Zarek?" (even after watching a few episodes)

But those details really aren't important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Urutsini wrote:
Thanks for the link. But I've played the game will enough and taught it many times. I just need a brief script of the show synopsis containing just enough information to get the story and get the most out of the game.

That is included in the link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Specifically:

Quote:
Man created sentient robots called cylons, who rebelled and destroyed human civilization. We are the last survivors of the human race, trying to reach the lost colony of Earth.

The cylons have developed new androids so perfect that they look human,
which means any of us could secretly be one.

You might know you’re a cylon from the beginning, or you might think you’re human and turn out to be a sleeper agent.

Seems like all you need to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Series summary:

Humans built the cylons. Cylons rebelled and nuked human colonies. Humans are now using any old ships they can to escape them and find a new home.

Btw, cylons can now look like humans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jozxyqk wrote:
I played the game several times before ever watching the show.

Brief synopsis: You're the last human survivors in space trying to find your way to a new home. There are robots on the ship (called Cylons) that can look human and are trying to kill you all.

They might miss some specific references, and wonder things like "why does Boomer go to the brig?" and "Who is Tom Zarek?" (even after watching a few episodes)

I've gotten questions on why they didn't just stay where they were. I'd like to use the analogy that pretend Pearl Harbor happened again, except unlike historically, now, the only thing that survives in the entire USA is Pearl Harbor. Here, double digit billions of people were killed by Cylons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this conversation from The Office sums it up best:

Quote:
Jim: By any chance, did you see Battlestar Galactica last night?
Andy: No, I did not. Was that any good?
Jim: Actually not. It was really so-so.
Dwight: Ok. [Dwight turns around, but Jim holds up the stopwatch, threatening to start it]
Jim: I mean I like all the crazy monsters and stuff. You know, like klingons and wookies and all that but... [Dwight begins to turn around again, Jim holds up the watch] Sorry, was there something you wanted to add, Dwight?
Andy: Is that anything like the original Battlestar Galactica?
Jim: You know, it's weird. It's practically a shot for shot remake.
Andy: Really? [Dwight closes his eyes, clutches the paper in his hands] Huh, that's cool.
Jim: Story's kinda bland. It's about this guy named Dumbledore Calrissian who needs to return the ring back to Mordor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ross
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Grand Master Cabalist
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"In 1972, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them....maybe you can hire The A-Team."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwijiboe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Hey!
mbmbmbmbmb
Urutsini wrote:
Hi all.

Soon I may be playing this game with people that haven't watched the show. I'm not worried about spoilers as they probably won't watch the show and we're just playing the base game anyway, but I know they will love the game.

In lieu of showing them the pilot to give some back story, I need a "Script" for a quick synopsis, brief enough to give them enough to play. I have something in mind, but it would be good to have something in writing so that I neither ramble on aimlessly, include stuff not needed to play the game nor miss anything important.

Any help would be appreciated

I think if you read from a script, people probably will not pay attention to you. More likely, they want to learn to play as quickly and efficiently as possible. Don't extend the tutorial by reading a script.

Instead, weave the synopsis into the tutorial.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Never watched the show before my first game (or since) and honestly you don't need too. Robots that look like humans are trying to kill you. Have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am just going to go ahead and vocalize what everyone is thinking, "Why are you socializing with people that have never seen Battlestar Galactica? And what country/planet are they from?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Osterman
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:

I've gotten questions on why they didn't just stay where they were. I'd like to use the analogy that pretend Pearl Harbor happened again, except unlike historically, now, the only thing that survives in the entire USA is Pearl Harbor. Here, double digit billions of people were killed by Cylons.[/q]

So close but more like "Only a single air craft carrier survived".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always just quote the first 20 seconds of pretty much any episode from the first couple of seasons:

The Cylons were created by man.
They rebelled.
They evolved.
There are many copies.
And they have a plan.

By the time you've unpacked that a bit, the players should have a fair idea of what they need to know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
Playing more games is better!
badge
Collecting games is not playing games!
mbmbmbmbmb
When a guy I game with scheduled a game of this I told him I needed to watch the whole series before I played and I did, binged the crap out of it. It made the game more fun, I Ellen Tighed my way all around the ship and knew what I was doing with the character if not the game.

I've played two more times since, had a blast and get the references. This is a game I will never turn down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.