Guards of Atlantis: Tabletop MOBA» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Played 2 2v2 games. Need some general tactics advice. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lewis Johnson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, both times I've played a full game of GoA, the team that got the first lane push, was then in an easier position to get the 2nd lane push and win the game quickly. The reason being, the enemies minions are closer to the enemies end of the field. So, assuming your guys are going for the minions, when the lane pushes in your favour (towards the enemy), you'll be closer to where the minions reappear than the side that lost the push - those guys will have a bit of running to do.

So, given that this game has received loads of positive reviews, and nobody has complained about balancing problems, and when I demo'd the game at Essen last year the guy running the game even said "But it's now easier for the lane to be pushed back", I can only assume that we are being really dim and missing some basic strategy.

So, when the lane is pushed down your end, what is the best thing to do to to avoid a quick defeat?

(Apologies if this has already been answered, as the game has been out for a while its hard to sift though all that's out there.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arty N.
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
toy_brain wrote:

So, when the lane is pushed down your end, what is the best thing to do to to avoid a quick defeat? )

The trick is to predict where the lane is going to be pushed before it happens and to be in the right spot when it does push.

A quick loss can happen if both teams go for the minions, but the losing team fails to predict that the lane will be pushed towards their base and end up on the opposite side of the middle zone. This is especially true for slow heroes like Brogan and Ignatia. Fast-travel through the water zone can often help to get back to your base quickly in this situation.

Still, the enemy minions are positioned on the far side of the zone, so the attacking team has a certain distance to go. For most heroes if you start moving towards your zone one or two turns prior, you'll be fine.

In general, when you realize that you can't win the push, it might be a good idea to go after the enemy heroes. This will likely bring you closer to where you need to be when the lane is pushed, or even push it back if your opponents make a mistake or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Johnson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, fair enough, but just to pick your brain a bit more, what would you do if you were expecting to win the first lane-push, but the opposing team pulled off something unexpected and got the push first (and did it on the last turn of the round).
Is it better to go all-out for the enemy heroes in that situation (once you have caught up to them)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arty N.
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
toy_brain wrote:

Is it better to go all-out for the enemy heroes in that situation (once you have caught up to them)?

Usually no. When you are fighting next to a throne, you have to focus on the minions. Unless you can guarantee an early kill.

That being said, it all depends on team composition, positioning, player levels etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Johnson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the advice. I played it again last night - another 2v2 game. Half of us had played before, half were new (and we split the newbies/experienced evenly across the teams). I told everyone what you'd said about anticipating a lane push and to get ready for it, and pointed out where the spawn points were. Sure enough when my team got the first lane push, the opposing team had gotten themselves into position and took out our minions quickly to push the lane right back.

GoA is a very different game to what my group usually plays (worker placement Euro's and point-salad's mostly), and thanks to your advice, last nights game went much better than the previous 2.

I should also add, on every occasion that I've taught the game, I've had to explain what a MOBA is, even to the guys who are 'into computers'. That should give you an idea of my audience
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arty N.
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
toy_brain wrote:

I should also add, on every occasion that I've taught the game, I've had to explain what a MOBA is, even to the guys who are 'into computers'. That should give you an idea of my audience

Well, as long as you guys had fun time (which I hope was the case), it really doesn't matter if you were familiar with the genre or not
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.