Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I'm confused about the thematic elements in this game. Is it a game that takes supernatural tropes (like ghouls and mages and spells), but makes a sci-fi version of those things, so that it's not really mages/spells/ghouls/etc?? Or is it really supernatural and sci-fi at the same time?

Help me out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jansson
Sweden
Trollhättan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's fantasy in a cyperpunk setting, with some elements of sci-fi. Kind of Lord of the Rings meets Bladerunner for a pop culture reference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris D
Italy
Muggiò
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the same time.

It's set in a cyber-punkish future where one day, BAM, magic awakes. One of the consequences is that many humans change into classic fantasy races (elves, orcs...), but the world remains the same...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Evil_X wrote:
It's fantasy in a cyperpunk setting, with some elements of sci-fi. Kind of Lord of the Rings meets Bladerunner for a pop culture reference.

Ok. So there really is spell-casting and such, just with an unusual setting. Well, poo...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No_Frets wrote:
At the same time.

It's set in a cyber-punkish future where one day, BAM, magic awakes. One of the consequences is that many humans change into classic fantasy races (elves, orcs...), but the world remains the same...

I see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Scothern
United Kingdom
Glasgow
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its *really* mages and ghouls and spells, in a near-future, cyberpunk setting.

ninja'd

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mentat1231 wrote:
So, I'm confused about the thematic elements in this game. Is it a game that takes supernatural tropes (like ghouls and mages and spells), but makes a sci-fi version of those things, so that it's not really mages/spells/ghouls/etc?? Or is it really supernatural and sci-fi at the same time?

Help me out?

You may want to read up on the world of Shadowrun:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadowrun

Short version: Yes, it is supernatural and sci-fi at the same time.
It's a future where magic has started to strengthen, and cause people to mutate into metahumans and be able to do magical stuff. But they also have cyberware and hacking and guns and vehicles, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jozxyqk wrote:
Mentat1231 wrote:

Help me out?

It's a future where magic has started to strengthen, and cause people to mutate into metahumans and be able to do magical stuff. But they also have cyberware and hacking and guns and vehicles, etc.

Thanks. I'm satisfied that this world is not for me. Sadness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mentat1231 wrote:
jozxyqk wrote:
Mentat1231 wrote:

Help me out?

If you have a personal problem with depictions of the supernatural, you can always pretend it is VR.
Then you're not just pretending to use magic, you're pretending to pretend to use magic. Maybe that satisfies any limitations you have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fenmar
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mentat1231 wrote:
jozxyqk wrote:
Mentat1231 wrote:

Help me out?

If you want a fantasy world, just go for Dragonfire! Same mechanics with a fantasy theme, and some additional rules... :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this isn't the place for it, but, any suggestions for a purely sci-fi game that's similar to this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mentat1231 wrote:
I know this isn't the place for it, but, any suggestions for a purely sci-fi game that's similar to this?

It really depends on what you are and aren't OK with (I'm trying not to judge).
If magic and supernatural is not OK, are aliens OK?
You could consider, for example, Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game as a sci fi deckbuilder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jozxyqk wrote:
Mentat1231 wrote:

It really depends on what you are and aren't OK with (I'm trying not to judge).
If magic and supernatural is not OK, are aliens OK?
You could consider, for example, Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game as a sci fi deckbuilder.

Sure, aliens would be cool. Maybe I'll try Legendary. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cross
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mentat1231 wrote:

I'd suggest Android:netrunner https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/124742/android-netrunner as a more sci-fi (hacking based in a future world setting) card duel game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.