Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Holt
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, after playing a couple of "Learning Games" where it was 4 Non-Player Bots with me just learning the systems/bots and a little of how each command/feat worked, I decided it was time to start actually playing one of the Factions. I chose the Saxons, and my first game promptly ended at the 1st Epoch Round with a Dux Victory.

So, I set up another game, also playing the Saxons against 3 Non-Players. Playing with the Standard Non-Player rules (no limited commands), but also allowing Victory for anyone, me included, if Victory conditions met during an Epoch Round. Will eventually get to the "Must get all the way through all Epochs for a player victory in a non-player game" after I'm a little more comfortable. And this game was much more exciting! It seemed like each Faction was close to victory at some point. During the 3rd Epoch, I was able to get to 10 Control for the Saxons, only to have a very fortunate Civitates March and then Battle in the last 2 "Cards" prior to the Epoch Round knock me down to 6. During Upkeep of that Round, though, my Control went right back to 10 when the Militia moved back to the Towns/Hillforts.

So, I started Epoch 4 (Autonomy, Civilian Control) with 10 Control, and was able to maintain that until mid-way through the Epoch when a Dux Intercept pushed me back to 7. However, significantly, the Dux and Civitates were very low on Resources and Wealth. I was able to push this back up to 9 Control before the Epoch Round card appeared. I thought "Grrr...so close!" But then I started the Annona phase...Lots of Foederati on the map, and both the Dux and Civitates were at 0 Resources, and only 2 Wealth. Only 1 map space could be "paid" for, so two Regions that had Saxon Foederati and Settlements were "Released", and this caused those Regions to switch to Saxon Control....I was at 11 Control! The Imperium Phase moved to Fragmentation, and then on to Victory Phase. All 4 Factions were close, but only the Saxons...only ME!!...was above the Victory Threshold. I won!!! I literally let out a Whooop!!

This is a friggen' awesome game!

Tony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Barry
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Resource Conversion Is My Trigger Word!
mbmbmbmbmb
tpholt wrote:

So, I started Epoch 4 (Autonomy, Civilian Control) with 10 Control, and was able to maintain that until mid-way through the Epoch when a Dux Intercept pushed me back to 7. Tony

From the Intercept Command:
"Select any spaces with both Raiders and Friendly
Control (Briton Control before Fragmentation, Dux Control
at Fragmentation, 1.6)
as target spaces, and select spaces with
both Cavalry or red Foederati and such Control as origins."
So how could an Intercept reduce Saxon Control when you would have had to already have lost that control before the Intercept could even happen?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Holt
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, you're right....so, at this point I'm not sure if the Intercept caused the loss of control or if it was another battle...I'm thinking it was an Intercept that I played incorrectly, but honestly do not recall modest. Normally I'm very aware of that after missing it in one of my earlier games.

I don't know if it would have affected the Epoch Round and Foederati Release or not. Hrmmmm...may have to chalk this one up as a "maybe". soblue

Tony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Gouyon-Rety
Canada
Laval
QC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Despite the possible mishap, great narrative indeed! :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, remember the 1-player victory rule. No auto victory. You have to score it out. Of course, meeting the victory conditions probably means you will score out as victor anyway.

I'm finishing up a long-delayed solo run of Liberty or Death, then I will almost certainly set Pendragon back up & take another run at it--probably the long scenario. I've played the Saxons (successfully) and the Dux (solo not so much, F2F also a success), so I'm thinking of playing as the Scotti.

Man, this game really gets its hooks int you, doesn't it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Leroux
Canada
flag msg tools
claudermilk wrote:

I'm finishing up a long-delayed solo run of Liberty or Death, then I will almost certainly set Pendragon back up & take another run at it--probably the long scenario. I've played the Saxons (successfully) and the Dux (solo not so much, F2F also a success), so I'm thinking of playing as the Scotti.

Agreed.

Its that kind of game you can play a couple epochs, leave it sitting on the table, and come back to it after work. Infact I think its my favorite way to unwind after a though day.

Looking forward to that Scotti playthrough as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Gouyon-Rety
Canada
Laval
QC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Neurasth wrote:
claudermilk wrote:

Agreed.

Its that kind of game you can play a couple epochs, leave it sitting on the table, and come back to it after work. Infact I think its my favorite way to unwind after a though day.

Looking forward to that Scotti playthrough as well.
That is how I was proceeding for my solo tests. The pleasure of having a dedicated gaming table... As Mark Herman says (I believe), a good test is whether you as the designer keeps wanting to play the game! Better that you do because you sure going to spend a LOT of time playing it... :-D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Holt
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neurasth wrote:

Agreed.

This is exactly how I play for the most part. I can get one "turn" (card) in before I leave for work, and then when I get home I can knock out a few more in between chores. Living alone has some perks

Getting ready this weekend to start another play through, probably the Saxons again. Thinking of doing a video "Let's play" series on it.

Tony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.