Paul Cockburn
United Kingdom
Sleaford
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Folio Standard Rules: If I understand correctly, the tactical purpose of a 'mobile movement' phase is that if you choose to move all the 'leg' units first and resolve their combat, you will then know which are the most useful places to bring up your mobile units. For example you may wish to make a second attack against an enemy unit which survived the attack from your 'leg' units.

Iwo Exclusive Rules: There is no Japanese mobile movement phase or mobile combat phase (see 13.0(4.1), and see turn summary on map). There is a US mobile movement phase and mobile combat phase, but none of the US units have a mobile symbol (as shown on page 2 of the standard rules). So does that mean nothing is able to move during this phase?

The sensible answer to my own question: Surely the three tank units (or one Tank Force Collins unit) are mobile even if they lack the symbol on the token. Are these three units (or this one unit) the only ones which can take advantage of the mobile movement and mobile combat phases? If so, I presume they can only act in the mobile phases when they are not stacked with a marine unit.

Mobile Movement during a Storm: The rules (see 13.0(4.1) and map sequence outline and storm effect) say that the Movement Allowance is halved. The errata and clarification I've seen on various threads say that the Mobile Movement Allowance during a storm is reduced to 1. (i.e. any tank moving during this phase in a storm can only move one hex into a clear area.) Which of these two options is correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Oliver
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul,

per this rules question, "All Units" means that all U.S. units mobile or leg can move in the "Mobile Movement Phase:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1332882/mobile-phase

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1256337/movement-phase-ques...

Also see the last two postings in this thread. I believe this is correct:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1098327/are-marines-leg-uni...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Cockburn
United Kingdom
Sleaford
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Stephen, I'd entirely missed the fact that all units are able to move and attack a second time in the mobile move/combat phase.

This also (I think) explains the first errata which I have seen on other threads.
Quote:
IWO ERRATA as of 2015.11.16 (no error in CRT)

13.0 Modifications to Standard Rules
(clarification) During the Mobile Movement phase of a storm turn, all MA are reduced to 1.

If the movement allowance (MA) is reduced to half in the mobile movement phase and the storm reduces it again to half (rounded down) then it will indeed only be 1.

So given that all the units have an MA of 6, I think I understand the turn structure better now.

Clear.
All units move with an MA=6 (bearing in mind various restrictions regarding such things as beach landings and EZOC)
All attacks are declared and fire support tokens allocated to various targets. On a roll of 1-3 the target is suppressed. All combat is resolved.
All units move again with an MA=3
All units attack again but without fire support.

Storm. (as above except)
Units move with MA=3
Targets are suppressed on a roll of 1-2
Units second movement (mobile movement) is with MA=1 (i.e units may only enter clear or beach hexes)

This will certainly make life a little easier than only moving and attacking once per turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.