8 Posts

Kanagawa» Forums » Rules

Subject: Earning a landscape diploma rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Annemarie Humenuk
Canada
flag msg tools
For this purpose, does the starting tile count as a mountain landscape (because it has a mountain on it) even though it doesn't have a purple paint spot on it? My guess is that it shouldn't because new players would be more likely to miss their chance for a diploma because they would have 3 identical purple landscapes without realizing it.

We have been playing that a double dab of paint on one card does not count as 2 landscapes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maximilian Berbechelov
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For some reason I am having troubles understanding your question.

Which diploma are you talking about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helena Hovancova
Slovakia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi.
Actually it counts. Rules mention number of symbols IN YOUR STUDIO - this includes starting tile, too (cause starting tile enables you to paint a particular landscape, too):

Example, page 15:

Quote:
if you have at
least 2 identical
Landscapes in
your Studio.

So, any symbols in the bottom part of your tableau count.
Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maximilian Berbechelov
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I see, got thrown by the fact that "It has a mountain on it" and thought you're talking about some Landscape diploma.

If you're talking about your studio-colors diploma - just like Helena said - it counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kayak4ever wrote:
For this purpose, does the starting tile count as a mountain landscape (because it has a mountain on it) even though it doesn't have a purple paint spot on it? My guess is that it shouldn't because new players would be more likely to miss their chance for a diploma because they would have 3 identical purple landscapes without realizing it.

We have been playing that a double dab of paint on one card does not count as 2 landscapes.

Going by your last statement, I believe you have misinterpreted something along the way. The main issue is the use of "landscape" to mean multiple different things, one is a 'cost required to paint' the other is a 'place to set your brush in order to paint'. The Landscape diploma only cares about the 'place to set your brush' side.

There are 2 types of diplomas; those that care about cards in your 'Print' and those that care about cards in your 'Studio'.
Print is always only the 'artwork' half of the card
Studio is always only the 'brown' part of the card

The 4 type of Print diplomas are Tree, Building, Character, and Animal.
The 3 type of Studio diplomas are Brushes, Arrows, and Landscape.

The Landscape diploma only cares about the colors of paint in your Studio (the colors where the Brushes sit, NOT the colors on the art half).

The BOTTOM of your starting tile DOES count towards the Landscape diploma.
The TOP of your starting tile has a 'Season' and nothing else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Humenuk
Canada
flag msg tools
Thank you so much! I agree. In looking for my answer before I posted my question, I think there are others with the same misunderstanding because I found a reference in other posts to whether a print requiring 2 paints counts as one or two landscapes. It is only the print side of a card that has 2 paint colours, not the studio side of a card.

I think it follows that a wild card in the studio (loses 2 harmony points but can be any colour) would count as a landscape of each colour, i.e. , one wild colour and 2 greens would count as 3 identical landscapes in your studio.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. oeppel
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Wildschwein

I'm pretty sure it does not...

Edit: fixed stupid autocorrection

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pinoeppel wrote:
Re: Wildschwein

I'm pretty sure it does not...

Correct, Wilds do not count towards the diploma.
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1656370/three-questions-bru...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.