Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so I know that the newer improved rulebook is available for download. However, I can't justify printing it out at home (I can't read that much on a computer monitor either). OK, that being said...

Even though the 2nd ed. rulebook is better/easier to understand, can I learn and play the game just fine by reading the 1st edition rulebook? I've read several other DVG "Leader" rulebooks and I understand those. So, even if the 2nd ed. is easier to understand, is there really any issues or problems by using the 1st ed. rules? I suppose that "technically" I won't know until I've read the rules!

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Norridge
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes you can learn and play the game using the 1st edition rulebook.
The updated rulebook is laid out better and things are easier to find when you need to look them up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Mike! I kind of figured that... but it's nice to hear!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Schall
United States
Evans City
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never did print out the 2nd edition book. I have it on an iPad and refered to it while learning the game. No big deal really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Christopher, I don't have an iPad, but I do have a Kindle. PDF files do not convert to .mobi very good. However, whenever I DO have to refer to rules and want to do a quick search, the desktop computer isn't far away!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Brown
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I read .pdf rulebooks on my 10" Kindle.

Staples can probably print out the rulebook fairly reasonably.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'll offer a slightly contrary opinion (what's new?)... while I agree with the above comments that you don't need the new rulebook, it's most certainly worth it to use it over the original.

Not only is the new rulebook better organized, but if I'm not mistaken, it also includes added content which fills a lot of holes in the original, and serves to better clarify confusing portions of the old rules.

But I'm one who thrives on clarity and sensible organization in rulebooks. When they don't satisfy those two requirements then I begin to have problems. So take my opinion with that in mind. And BTW, the new rules succeed at both those requirements!

Regardless, I got mine printed at an online service for about $6-$7... binding, clear plastic cover, and plastic rear cover all included.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrumpyOldGamer wrote:
I read .pdf rulebooks on my 10" Kindle.

Staples can probably print out the rulebook fairly reasonably.

Dean, Did you convert it to .mobi with Calibre? It didn't work for my Kindle Fire 7.

Thanks Barry and Dean for the suggestions!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Brown
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim,
There are some pdf reader apps in the app store, including Adobe. No conversion should be.necessary.
Dean
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrumpyOldGamer wrote:
Jim,
There are some pdf reader apps in the app store, including Adobe. No conversion should be.necessary.
Dean

Thanks Dean, I'll check out the pdf app. I use my Kindle to read "Books"... and only tried pdf a couple times. I never really looked into it before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah.... that's better! I got the app for my Kindle and it works and I can easily read the B-17 FFL Rulebook on that! Or any rulebook for that matter.

Thanks for that idea Dean! I never looked into it before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.