Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are they saying Faeries need a boost?
As is. The Faerie is allready formidable. I'd hate to see it with even more dust.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
We have a houserule that on turn 1 all characters can trade a Sapphire card for a 5 dust chip. The idea is that many of the characters seem to be designed around having the average amount of dust on r1 so that certain characters whose tracks are not immediately useful like Kobald or Druid hit various dust thresholds.

We used to say that the faerie couldn't use it on her cards obtained from the track but we reversed our decision since it was just easier and did in fact seem fairer as it guaranteed her 30 dust allowing her to choose between pushing her track tour buying gems.

Off the top of my head I do not know of any other well known variant but this one does overall increase the average starting money of the faerie by eliminating any potential for really bad draws in the early game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juho Snellman
Switzerland
Zurich
Zurich
flag msg tools
mb
FakeDutch wrote:
I've just revisited this game and after looking up in the forums, I read there is an official variant for the faeries.

Anyone can enlighten me about it?

Apparently it says faeries start with more magic dust?

Where did you read this? I seriously doubt there's any such official variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sonny sonny
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it looks like the OP got deleted lol.

once upon a time i posted this
letsdance wrote:
if you speak german the faery with no cards variant is posted in the official forum here: http://forum.lookout-games.de/index.php?topic=16.0

though that forum does not exist anymore.

the official variant is/was that the faery starts with 10 dust (as usual) BUT NO SAPPHIRE CARDS. my personal variant is, that the faery starts with 15 dust but no sapphire cards (so in the end 5 less dust than the rules but 5 more than the official variant).

[edits: some clarifications]

allstar64 wrote:
We have a houserule that on turn 1 all characters can trade a Sapphire card for a 5 dust chip.

this one does overall increase the average starting money of the faerie by eliminating any potential for really bad draws in the early game.

your variant does not change "overall" or "average" at all. it just makes sure that the overall and average always happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
letsdance wrote:
it looks like the OP got deleted lol.

once upon a time i posted this
letsdance wrote:
if you speak german the faery with no cards variant is posted in the official forum here: http://forum.lookout-games.de/index.php?topic=16.0

though that forum does not exist anymore.

the official variant is/was that the faery starts with 10 dust (as usual) BUT NO SAPPHIRE CARDS. my personal variant is, that the faery starts with 15 dust but no sapphire cards (so in the end 5 less dust than the rules but 5 more than the official variant).

Wait, the official variant for the Fairy was that she just got less starting income/lost use of the first step of her track? That seems odd. Was the fairy really so strong that they felt it was necessary? I'm not saying she's weak but she never seemed so strong as to need the be weakened that much.

letsdance wrote:
allstar64 wrote:
We have a houserule that on turn 1 all characters can trade a Sapphire card for a 5 dust chip.

this one does overall increase the average starting money of the faerie by eliminating any potential for really bad draws in the early game.

your variant does not change "overall" or "average" at all. it just makes sure that the overall and average always happens.

Right, which means that your starting income range when using this variant is from 30-36 (ie above 30) whereas with the regular rules it is 24-36 (right at 30). Hence your starting income will on average be higher using the variant than when not using it. That's all I was saying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juho Snellman
Switzerland
Zurich
Zurich
flag msg tools
mb
Well, hang on. There is a massive difference between a "variant posted on the official forum" and an "official variant". Anyone can post something on a forum. And the phrasing of the original message makes it look very much like the former, not the latter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sonny sonny
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
allstar64 wrote:
letsdance wrote:
allstar64 wrote:

Right, which means that your starting income range when using this variant is from 30-36 (ie above 30) whereas with the regular rules it is 24-36 (right at 30).
oh you mean you can trade it AFTER looking at its value =) i guess your wording implies that, but i didn't realize it.

jsnell wrote:
Well, hang on. There is a massive difference between a "variant posted on the official forum" and an "official variant". Anyone can post something on a forum. And the phrasing of the original message makes it look very much like the former, not the latter.
it was posted there by either the creator or maybe the publisher of the game. yes i am sure about that. that's why i called it an official variant. i wouldn't care to refer to anything else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sonny sonny
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
allstar64 wrote:
Wait, the official variant for the Fairy was that she just got less starting income/lost use of the first step of her track? That seems odd. Was the fairy really so strong that they felt it was necessary?

the fairy is extremely flexible. she can pick whatever strategy she wants and she'll always do well, often better even compared to the character who starts there and who therefore has no or little choice in his strategy.

i posted a compare to witch in my variants thread here: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/28255070#28255070

maybe i should play zepter again =) i think i only did once in 2017 lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
letsdance wrote:
allstar64 wrote:
letsdance wrote:
allstar64 wrote:

Right, which means that your starting income range when using this variant is from 30-36 (ie above 30) whereas with the regular rules it is 24-36 (right at 30).
oh you mean you can trade it AFTER looking at its value =) i guess your wording implies that, but i didn't realize it.

Oh I understand now. Yeah i guess I could see how my wording could have been interpreted both ways. Yes it is after. Basically it was a friend of mine who came up with this variant after trying to come up with the best openings for every character and concluding that some characters really needed to draw their average on r1 or find themselves behind.

I also took a look at the comparisons you did. I'm not 100% convinced by them, more because you are comparing to the Witch than anything else. They were a little hard to follow though. If you put what gems and dust they each had at the end of each turn it would be a little clearer. Regardless, I could be wrong about this but I seem to recall people feeling that the Witch was actually an under powered character and the weakest of the 6 so comparing to her is not the most convincing (to me at least). I know that's what my friend concluded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sonny sonny
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the weakest char is the one who starts on the artifacts track (mage?). i don't see how there can be any dispute about that lol. faery and kobold are stronger than witch (which is why i nerved them). druid is good but he has no flexibility at all. he can just play his game and hope others have less points in the end. so i think he is balanced in terms of victory chances.

i consider the one who starts on energy flow (elf?) as powerful as the witch. the dust saved from being on the gems track is usually about as much as you could get from energy flow. an income is more flesible than a cost reduction, but the elf can't really go to gems track without raising her hand card limit first, limiting her options in this regard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.