Subject: Any Chance for Clone Wars Era Ships / Factions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith Skiba
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all!

Has FFG commented on prequel era support at all? Do we think this is something that could happen soon / eventually? I understand not everybody is a fan of the prequel films but I love the Clone Wars TV series and would be ecstatic to see some of the ships from that era make it into the game. Maybe new factions (Republic, Separatist)?

I'm still hoping FFG will do an Armada scale ground battles game after Legion gets going as I think that's the type of game that would allow the prequel era to really shine the most. But until then I wouldn't be opposed to some Vulture Droids and N1's whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bush
United States
West Decatur
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
At all cost
badge
"Some fights will just get you bloody"
mbmbmbmbmb
Years ago they said, "no."
Things might change since we got the arc.
kathoolu wrote:
Hey all!

Has FFG commented on prequel era support at all? Do we think this is something that could happen soon / eventually? I understand not everybody is a fan of the prequel films but I love the Clone Wars TV series and would be ecstatic to see some of the ships from that era make it into the game. Maybe new factions (Republic, Separatist)?

I'm still hoping FFG will do an Armada scale ground battles game after Legion gets going as I think that's the type of game that would allow the prequel era to really shine the most. But until then I wouldn't be opposed to some Vulture Droids and N1's whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
kathoolu wrote:
Hey all!

Doubtful. It seems that FFG has been reluctant to go to that part of the mythos. Rebels is as far as they have gone and anything they have pulled from the prequels have been from that series. Or they have said they were Clone Era stuff that was modified for the Rebellion period.

The only place they have pulled from the prequels is the RPG even bringing in Gungans!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dickson
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Destiny most definitely has prequel content in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart De Vuyst
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see prequel/Clone Wars ships. I love everything about Star Wars so...

Luckily we already have the ARC-170 from that era, no?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Phyrexian wrote:
I'd like to see prequel/Clone Wars ships. I love everything about Star Wars so...

Luckily we already have the ARC-170 from that era, no?

Yes, but the background info is it was re-purposed for the Rebellion not technically of the timeline for the Clone Wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deathmvp Deathmvp
United States
New York
flag msg tools
new user
mbmb
It may be a balance reason. Since the ship's should be weaker the cost per ship should be less. This may be lower then they want to go. It is easyer to make a new more powerful ship with a higher cost then make one that is lower since there is a point it becomes to low but they can always go up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Becker
United States
Yardley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG said from the start that they won't have prequel ships. The reason for it is pretty obvious, they'd pretty much have to add 2 new factions.

The Droids are the 'bad guys' of that era and the clones are the 'good guys' but the clones become the empire, so effectively the clones would be part of the imperial faction.

The Droids are definitely not Rebels though.

So you either set up weird Droids as Empire because they are 'bad' and clones as Rebels because they are 'good' Or you have Clones as Empire because they are the beginnings of the Empire.. Anikin as an Imperial pilot makes sense.. but Yoda as Imperial? Not so much.

The only logical way would be a separate Droid faction, then a separate Clone faction. But the logistics of catching 2 new factions up would be difficult at best. You'd need 3 waves of nothing but Droid and Clone ships to even get close to the variety of options the other 3 have. It's not even like when Scum came out because the only existing ship you could re-purpose would be the ARC-170.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Skiba
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xbeaker wrote:
FFG said from the start that they won't have prequel ships. The reason for it is pretty obvious, they'd pretty much have to add 2 new factions.

The Droids are the 'bad guys' of that era and the clones are the 'good guys' but the clones become the empire, so effectively the clones would be part of the imperial faction.

The Droids are definitely not Rebels though.

So you either set up weird Droids as Empire because they are 'bad' and clones as Rebels because they are 'good' Or you have Clones as Empire because they are the beginnings of the Empire.. Anikin as an Imperial pilot makes sense.. but Yoda as Imperial? Not so much.

The only logical way would be a separate Droid faction, then a separate Clone faction. But the logistics of catching 2 new factions up would be difficult at best. You'd need 3 waves of nothing but Droid and Clone ships to even get close to the variety of options the other 3 have. It's not even like when Scum came out because the only existing ship you could re-purpose would be the ARC-170.

This is why I thought two new factions (Republic & CIS) would make the most sense. In terms of logistics I don't see why they couldn't release a pair of new Core Sets along with an upcoming wave and support them from there. Many of the ships from this era could still be usable in the old factions as well until the faction has more support in place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deathmvp Deathmvp
United States
New York
flag msg tools
new user
mbmb
Who would win in the Dog Fight? Ankin vs Vader lol.

If they did add the 2 as more factions it would be intresting to have a 4 way battle free for all. To make it more crazy make it a 5 with with the Scum in the middle but maby get bonus points for being in a very bad spot to start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yes there would be less balanced in the Force

or a disturbance in the Force

And the game is called X-wing. which means post prequel if you want to say it that way. (even though the T-65 X-wing isn't that competitive since they Nerf'd Biggs)

Interestingly enough a senator's shuttle mission token from the prequels was included in the original 2012 core set

The Protectorate starfighter reminds me of a cross between a Jedi star fighter and buck rogers ; sort of close

Poe Dameron's mom Shara Bey flies the Rebel retro fitted ARC ;

FFG admits they never thought X-wing would have been as huge as it is but they have canon and EU they're allowed to draw from. it's amazing how no two abilities are the exact same and they all capture the flavor of the characters and upgrades imho

as an aside a couple players on this board have made Firefly themed variation of the cards so no stopping a home brew jedi star fighter...using the Fang fighter mini ;

MTFBWY

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Graffam
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone at FFG stated that X-Wing would be set in "the Rebellion era going way forward" so I think you can expect to see prequel ships (like the ARC) as long as they were still in use during the Galactic Civil War, according to sites like Wookieepedia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Garrett
msg tools
It doesn't seem like a stretch to me that they might implement a couple of droid ships for Scum, or a couple of republic ships for either the Rebels or the Empire, but I wouldn't expect them to have prequel-era pilots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.