Subject: Epic game - both expansions - with one of my kids rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
/|\ Roland /|\
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a play by play per se, just the results.

My 9 year old son and I played a 2 player with both expansions added. While I did not play suboptimally, I did make it a point to try and use the new expansion features for VP. I acquired 2 reputation tiles for having two sets quests completed. He had an outstanding raider crew assembled that rolled over the fortresses.

I ended the game with less than half his points recorded on the VP track (he was north of 50, I was in 20's), before we added all other tracks, offerings, heroes, or plunder.

We counted his first because I was sure he won, and I thought it more exciting if we counted mine last, I would slowly creep up but not quite catch his score marker.

He counted to 95 for his final total. Wow! I thought man he destroyed me.
We counted my score, and slowly but surely, my marker crept up near his. His eyes bulged. Finally I added my mass of gold plunder. 96. I had beaten him by one - single - point.

At first I thought oh man he's going to cry, and I wouldn't blame him. I prepared what consolations I could think of in my mind, ready for delivery.

He smiled ear to ear. "Wow! Good job dad!! I can't believe it!" he said. It almost brought a tear to my eye. I felt so bad winning, but also amazed at how well he had played to achieve that score.

In that moment, I was so proud of how he handled losing that close, I couldn't help but mention to him that I thought maybe I might have forgotten to bump him up one space on the valkerie track after his last crew member died on a raid ( I knew I hadn't, but it sounded plausible). This gave him one extra VP to tie me at 96 even.

"Whoa dad! We tied?? We have to rematch next weekend!!!"

Music to my ears...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shem Phillips
New Zealand
Waikanae
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha, that’s awesome! And ‘Dad of the Year’ goes to...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas W
United States
Pearland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a 8.5 years old son and your account just inspired me to teach him this game asap! Thank you!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua F

New Hampshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Excellent story! Absolutely nothing better than games with my sons...I know the feeling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is really fantastic and approachable for kids. My 6-year daughter plays it! And she has beaten me fair and square too! The small micro-actions and fast turn pace do a great job keeping people engaged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hill
United Kingdom
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great story thumbsup

Hope the rematch went well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolando
msg tools
mbmb
That is awesome. I play with my 7 year old daughter who is a board game junkie. We love this game and I have yet to win. Lol. Last night she beat my wife and I. Beat me by one point too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.