Shem Phillips
New Zealand
Waikanae
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The main way to score points in Architects is through constructing buildings or advancing work on the Cathedral.

Building cards are held in hand until a player visits the Guildhall to construct one. To construct a building from their hand, players will need the following items, listed on the left side of their card:

- Hired apprentices in their tableau with the required skills (if any)
- The required resources to build

Once constructed, buildings are worth a number of victory points (top right flag). They will also have either an immediate effect or end-game effect. Some buildings will also cause an immediately virtue gain or loss.

From left to right:

- The Church (5VP) requires no apprentices and costs 3 clay and 3 stone. When built, you may destroy 1 of your debts. It also awards 1 virtue immediately when built.
- The Barracks (10VP) requires apprentices with all 3 skill types and costs 2 clay, 6 wood and 2 gold. When built you may immediately either release all your captured workers, or make 1 capture.
- The Chapel (6VP) requires at least 1 apprentice with carpentry skills and costs 2 clay, 1 wood and 4 stone. At the end of game, if you have advanced work on the Cathedral more than any other player, you will gain 2 additional virtue. It also awards 1 virtue immediately when built.
- The Armoury (9VP) requires apprentices with carpentry and masonry skills and costs 3 wood, 5 stone and 1 gold. When built you may immediately make 1 capture.
- The Carpenter's Hut (5VP) requires no apprentices and costs 3 clay, 1 wood and 1 stone. At the end of the game you will gain 1 additional point for each apprentice you have with skill in carpentry.
- The Castle (10VP) requires apprentices with all 3 skill types and costs 2 clay, 4 wood, 1 Gold and 2 Marble. At the end of the game you will gain 1 virtue for each pair of Gold you have in your supply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
/|\ Roland /|\
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, the iconography in all your games is fantastic. I can't wait for this. In fact, I am trying NOT to look at any of this stuff. I'm one of those weirdos that wants to save as much reveal as I can for opening the box, reading the rules, and a test solo play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shem Phillips
New Zealand
Waikanae
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Roland!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Butler
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ath3ist wrote:
Man, the iconography in all your games is fantastic.

I was just about to type the same exact thing! After I read the first building description and studied the card iconography for a minute, I could figure out what all the other cards did.
I especially like how you differentiate between an end of game effect and an instant effect and loved how you integrated both into the Church and Chapel. Already thinking about how to teach that part to new players and the ease of it using the iconography.
Great Job, Shem! Keep up the solid work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
So when's this Kickstarter campaign get off the ground again? Looks great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shem Phillips
New Zealand
Waikanae
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking like early March at this stage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Hurman
Australia
Oxley
Australian Capital Territory
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Great iconography and description in 1st post. I will probably use this when I eventually teach the game.

The only thing I would add is to the sentence "They will also have either an immediate effect (designated by the lightning symbol in the bottom right)or end-game effect (designated by the flag symbol in the bottom right) or both .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Hurman
Australia
Oxley
Australian Capital Territory
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
shem84 wrote:
Looking like early March at this stage.

You've said elsewhere that the Raiders solo variant is likely to be released outside kickstarter but will it be available as an add-on for this? From the sounds of things they are like to have similar expected delivery timeframes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shem Phillips
New Zealand
Waikanae
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Raiders Solo won't go through Kickstarter. It is more likely to be released for immediate online sale. Still working out the details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Pe
Germany
Marburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading the rules (very well done btw) I've got one question regarding the building card "Keep":

End of Game Effect:
"VP for captured workers"

Which captured workers are meant:
A) opponent's workers I have captured on my player board?
or
B) my own workers that are captured by others?

I suggest it's A) because that makes the most sense but want to clarify

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shem Phillips
New Zealand
Waikanae
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you're correct - option A.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilfred Wong
Malaysia
Kuching
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For variable setup, do you still draft building cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shem Phillips
New Zealand
Waikanae
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes - and this is done before any players gain additional building cards from their specific character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jared watson
msg tools
the wording in the appendix for the barracks is confusing.

Armoury, Barracks, Fortress, Hideout
The controlling player immediately takes the action shown, in the same manner as it would be taken at the Town
Centre or Guardhouse. Note: The Fortress may capture from the same, or 2 different locations.

we played last night and weren't sure if we by "take the action as it would be taken at the town center" to take into consideration any existing workers you had there.

so in a 4 player game, if i have 2 workers at the town center and i play the barracks. do i get to choose 1 location, pay up to three coins, and capture up to 3 colors at that location? Or do i get to just make a capture on a single color at a single location and pay 1 tax?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shem Phillips
New Zealand
Waikanae
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you build the Barracks, you may immediately release all your workers from your opponent's boards at no cost, or make a single capture of one player's workers from 1 location, at no cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jared watson
msg tools
Thanks for the quick response! great game! The folks we played with immediately wanted the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kion K.
msg tools
boardgameplay.com
badge
mb
shem84 wrote:

- The Carpenter's Hut (5VP) requires no apprentices and costs 3 clay, 1 wood and 1 stone. At the end of the game you will gain 1 additional point for each apprentice you have with skill in carpentry.

Based on the example on the bottom of the page 19 of the rulebook (final scoring for the Blue player), it looks like "The Carpenter's Hut" gives points for each building that requires "carpentry" skill (especially since in the example their apprentice cards are not shown, but there are exactly 2 "carpentry" icons on their buildings and example shows that "The Carpenter's Hut" generated 2VP for them)...

Card effect description within "Building Effects" section, however, states that points are given for apprentices with the indicated skill, but doesn't mention buildings (which also matches what you outlined in this post).

This is rather confusing. Could you please clarify whether points are given for each of the matching skill icons on the apprentice cards only or on both apprentice and building cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shem Phillips
New Zealand
Waikanae
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apprentice cards only

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would note that the rules regarding building that require apprentices are left misleading:

Quote:
Some Buildings will require players to have hired Apprentices with certain skills (Carpentry, Tiling and Masonry). In order to construct a Building displaying 1 or more of these icons at the top left, players will need to have at least 1 hired Apprentice with a matching symbol in front of them.
Note: Apprentices used to construct a Building are not discarded.

So reading these seems to imply that if something showed 3 different symbols, you would only need to match 1 of those symbols.

The example in the rules say otherwise, and is consistent with the examples here.

I would recommend updating the rulebook to say:

Quote:
Some Buildings will require players to have hired Apprentices with certain skills (Carpentry, Tiling and Masonry). In order to construct a Building displaying 1 or more of these icons at the top left, players will need to have at least 1 hired Apprentice with a matching symbol in front of them for each symbol.

I also don't know if there are apprentices that have multiple symbols, but if that was the case, you would want to clarify that the same apprentice can be used for multiple symbols (unless that would be an incorrect rule, in which case you would want to note that each apprentice can provide 1 of the symbols).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shem Phillips
New Zealand
Waikanae
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:
I also don't know if there are apprentices that have multiple symbols....

Your comment seems to suggest that you haven't played it?

If a building shows two different Skills, you would need at least one of each symbol on your Apprentices, collectively. The Labourer has all three skills and therefore satisfies the skill requirements of all buildings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shem84 wrote:
mfl134 wrote:
I also don't know if there are apprentices that have multiple symbols....

Your comment seems to suggest that you haven't played it?

If a building shows two different Skills, you would need at least one of each symbol on your Apprentices, collectively. The Labourer has all three skills and therefore satisfies the skill requirements of all buildings.

Gotcha. I haven't played it, so I am not familiar with the cards.

But the rules definitely don't look consistent with the intent, I think it worth fixing the rules. The rules seem to say that you need at least 1 of the symbols on the building card, while you actually need all of the symbols.

So I would have the rules say something like:

Quote:
Some Buildings will require players to have hired Apprentices with certain skills (Carpentry, Tiling and Masonry). In order to construct a Building displaying 1 or more of these icons at the top left, players will need to have at least 1 hired Apprentice with a matching symbol in front of them for each symbol.
Note: The same Apprentice can provide multiple symbols.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Simard
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree that the rulebook is worded in a manner that is not clear compared to Shem's examples posted in this thread.

Here's what the rulebook says:
Quote:
In order to construct a Building displaying 1 or more
of these icons at the top left, players will need to have at least 1 hired Apprentice with a matching symbol in front of them

My wife and I both read that to mean you need at least 1 apprentice that has one of the matching symbols.

The rulebook should be changed for more explicit wording stating that ALL icons on the building are required.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shem Phillips
New Zealand
Waikanae
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The example in the rulebook is quite clear:

“The Keep requires all 3 Apprentice skills, 5 Wood, 2 Stone and 2 Gold to construct.”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shem84 wrote:
The example in the rulebook is quite clear:

“The Keep requires all 3 Apprentice skills, 5 Wood, 2 Stone and 2 Gold to construct.”

Nobody is suggesting otherwise.

also,

Finally got to play the game today, everyone had a great time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.