7 Posts

A Feast for Odin» Forums » General

Subject: First two games summary. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
Menin Gate at Midnight, Will Longstaff, 1927.
badge
"At the landing, and here ever since" - Anzac Book, p. 35.
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first two games of A Feast for Odin with a friend last night [both 2p games]. I loved the first game so much we immediately set-up and started a second game. What a masterpiece; so many options and paths and opportunities! However, there was a distinct difference in the feel of the two games, and I wanted to share my experience and invite feedback/comment.

Game One
In my first game, I focused [Patchwork-style] filling up the spaces on my home board with an emphasis on increasing my income. My heavy Euro-gaming bias was influencing my decision, and I wanted to build the foundations of an economic/resource engine that would give me coins and bonuses heading into the future. As such, I focused on filling in the bottom-left corner of the home board, increasing my income, while also ensuring I gained bonuses each turn [such as mead, wood, stone]. I took an exploration board around mid-game, mainly for the coin bonus it offered, but once again I focused my efforts on gaining income. I was generating about 14 coins per turn and felt I was doing pretty well. I had a few snares, so was 'Laying Snares' a lot, and I did a small amount of Raiding and Pillaging. I also Emigrated twice for some nice points. It was really fun, but at the end of the game though, I just didn't do enough to gain VPs. I didn't get any buildings [rookie error], and I ended up on about 68 VPs, while my opponent won with about 76 [he had focused on a whaling strategy, with a bit of pillaging].

Game Two
In the second game, I decided to almost completely ignore my home board and take a completely different approach. I placed ONE tile [a 2x4 fur from Laying a Snare] on my home board on the first turn, and then ignored the home board completely right up until the final turn. Instead, I got some early Cattle and Sheep and got them breeding. I bought a long house [and later a shed and a second long house] and put some resources in there to secure some bonuses [beans and peas], and got an exploration tile and used it to increase my income to just 6 [and it would never go higher]. I also sent out an early Emigration ship on the second turn [just cause it's a nice cheap action and is worth some good VPs]. The Cattle worked well to get me lots of milk throughout the game, some of which I used in feasts, others I upgrades to green and blue tiles. But I generally struggled with other resources. I didn't get any 'special' blue tiles at all, and, in fact, I only had 1-2 blue tiles right up until the last turn. Most of the game I had a heap of small orange tiles [mainly beans and peas] which I couldn't do much with. In addition, right through to the end of the game, I was only getting 6 coins income each turn. Apart from 'getting cattle and sheep', I had no clear strategy [I built a whaling boat and secured some ore, but only went whaling once; and I had an occupation that gave me a 'pillaging bonus' but I NEVER went pillaging], I was struggling to get any resources, and I felt that my second game was MUCH worse than my first. In the meantime, my opponent had focused on pillaging. He had a 'melee fighter' occupation which let him use spears when pillaging, and he got three spears at an early stage so used these well. He pillaged several times early, and with some great rolls secured some very nice special blue tiles [including the crown]. But he was also spending coins to buy longships [whereas I always built mine out of wood], and he only sent one of those to Emigrate. For most of the game, it seemed like he was well ahead of me: he had several ships, a lot of coins, a lot of nice blue [plus special blue] tiles, and he was gaining a lot of bonuses and income [about 16 coins for most of the game I think].

But in the final two turns I got lucky. I drew an occupation that gave me an instant 'breeding phase' for me only, and then I drew another 'farmer' occupation which let me turn cattle into blue 2x8 necklaces. I played these occupations, and on the final turn focused on converting a heap of resources into green and blue tiles. I focused on just filling in the -1 spaces on my home board, exploration tile, my shed, and my two long houses. I also sent off a final Emigration ship. With all the blue tiles I got from my numerous cattle, plus the upgrades, plus filling in the spaces on most of my tiles, I ended up doing really well with 98 VPs [I think my opponent had about 80-ish]. It was an amazing final turn turn-around. I had virtually nothing on my boards until the very final turn, and then suddenly, in one big push, filled up most of the -1 spaces.

Again, it's amazing how different the two games felt. In the first I felt I had a clear direction and strategy, and felt I was doing well [as much as one can in their first game], but missed some important elements so failed to gain decent VPs; whereas in the second I lacked a clear direction and strategy, and felt I was doing VERY badly, but used what I had to full advantage to gain a decent score.

I can't wait to play it again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jérôme
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your story resembles my experiences with AFfO so far, having played twice as well. Two questions: did you play the long or short game, and how long did they last?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tsaar wrote:
Your story resembles my experiences with AFfO so far, having played twice as well. Two questions: did you play the long or short game, and how long did they last?

Both long games. The first went for about 100 minutes, the second was much quicker and we finished in about 70 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jérôme
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Both games took us much longer, and they were short games.
I have to admit that I’m not the fastest player and the amount of options is kind of overwhelming. Also expect that our next play will shorter, around two hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blougaville
United States
Highland
Indiana
flag msg tools
Seems like you started trying some pretty big experiments in your second game. I played it a little safer in my early games (not even claiming an island until game 3 or 4 due to fear of not being able to fill them) and then started experimenting more as I had a grasp on how the game tends to play out. My advice is just to keep on playing and you'll get better very quickly. Although some people dislike the way occupations work, I really like them. Sometimes I'll draw an occupation in round 1 or 2 and think to myself "pfft, there's no way I'm going to use this"...but after thinking on it more I'm able to figure out how to make it work very well for me. So maybe allow yourself to try building a strategy around your occupations and not trying to do too much of everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RyuSora
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmb
I see you tryed a very different strategy in your second game? But had you not got those awesome 2 occup cards, dont you think you would have done a very lower score?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ryusora wrote:
I see you tryed a very different strategy in your second game? But had you not got those awesome 2 occup cards, dont you think you would have done a very lower score?

Absolutely yes! I felt like I was doing very bad, wandering aimlessly through the game, then I got those two occupations which gave me a huge boost!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.