United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
So I know that once you choose A or B on a City or Road Event, you are committed to that choice. But once you do that, are you allowed to read what would have happened had you chosen the other one? I got thinking about this because of a particular road event that can recur...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Berries.

We chose wisely the first time, and read the outcome of the other choice as we have been doing. But now, since that Road Event goes back into the deck (of course, at the bottom of it), we'll know what to do when we come across it again. If we hadn't read the other choice, we'd have a lingering sense of doubt, and maybe would check it out next time it came around.

How does your group handle it? Read the whole card even though you're locked into one choice? Or read only what you've done?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Bandage
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends. We always read the option we chose, of course. If that option removes the card from the game, we read the other option for giggles. If the option we choose puts the event back into the deck, we don't read the other option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Carroll
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We usually don't read the other option, but sometimes peek if we are discarding it for good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sirron Young
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here. Only read the other option if it doesn't go back into the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Read both options first before choosing....you'll make better decisions.
ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter McCormick
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DoctorBandage wrote:
Depends. We always read the option we chose, of course. If that option removes the card from the game, we read the other option for giggles. If the option we choose puts the event back into the deck, we don't read the other option.

This, we try to see what symbol the block of text we land on has. If its a "rip" then we look at the others. If not, try not to catch a glipse of anything else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman L.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I pick one and save the other for 2nd playthrough. most likely 2-3 years from now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ziemer
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
We never read the other option. You have to choose an option to find out what will happen. For whatever you didn't do, you can only speculate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ftl ftw
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I end up reading it. Too curious, and it's RIGHT THERE, I can't help but look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince De Zutter
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mean, the reward is bolded and pops out so easily, you've read the most important parts of it by just glancing at the backside of the card more often than not anyway.

Might as well bite the bullet and always read it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres K
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ftl_ftw wrote:
I end up reading it. Too curious, and it's RIGHT THERE, I can't help but look.

I am also so tempted to read that. After missing a few really good rewards we stopped reading the missed option because it shifts the way we would decide next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukasz Lacny
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is hard not to glimpse "what would be" when reading the cards, but I never inform the other players about this other possible outcome, only read the choise we've made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rkik
United States
Jamestown
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kzinti wrote:
Read both options first before choosing....you'll make better decisions.
ninja

Can you see the future in real life too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince De Zutter
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dahlillama wrote:
Can you see the future in real life too?

I think the point is that if you could see the future in real life, if you'd look or not.

I would. Screw the space-time continuum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
elmozg wrote:
It is hard not to glimpse "what would be" when reading the cards, but I never inform the other players about this other possible outcome, only read the choise we've made.

It'd be easy if you committed to it. Choose option A, turn the card over with your hand already covering option B. That kind of thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Neumann
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
... seriously, do it :-)
badge
Play more board games!
mbmbmbmbmb
no, we don't read it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J D
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will only read it if the option we chose will remove it from the deck. If the option is to return it to the bottom, I will not read or indicate what the other option does. I also do not make the choices for the group since I am reading the cards, and my peripheral vision tends to catch things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N R
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read it. If it's returned to the box, chances are I will never remember it the next time I do a full play through of the game. If it's a repeatable event, there's also a strong chance I won't remember anything about it and will make the same poor choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Quirk
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We do read it. It was really to get a feel for how different actions affect our results. As time goes on, we are getting a better feel for what the consequence of any given action will be anyway. You should be able to learn from your experiences. If it takes you 2 times to experience each card to learn what the full experience is, how often will you encounter the card a 3rd time to take advantage of that knowledge?

As far as the narrative goes, it's easy to think of the case where you return to Gloomhaven, go to the bar and swap stories with other mercenaries. Some of them will have experienced the same events you have or be able to give you tips on what to do better next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick mullen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like not knowing, even if the card is lost. Especially if our choice had a bad consequence, it leaves me room to say "Hey guys, don't throw me off a bridge! For all we know the other option was worse!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Burns
United Kingdom
Hazlemere, High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="Dexter345"]

Berries.

We chose wisely the first time, and read the outcome of the other choice as we have been doing. But now, since that Road Event goes back into the deck (of course, at the bottom of it), we'll know what to do when we come across it again. If we hadn't read the other choice, we'd have a lingering sense of doubt, and maybe would check it out next time it came around.

Don't be too sure!
You might find the text on that card has miraculously changed...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.