16 Posts

Mythic Battles: Pantheon» Forums » General

Subject: What are your favorite units so far? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Willem Verheij
msg tools
mbmb
I'm just curious about everyone's findings.

So far there's been a few that really stood out to me.

-Medusa.
Of the core box, she is my favorite. Petrify is such a powerful ability. It's a good way to take out enemies that have abilities that make them harder to damage.
Also it causes omphalos to be dropped and waste of art of war cards and activation cards.

-Echidna.
She has good movement, five activations, can climb, has torment and that poison damage is pretty good. It forces the opponent to have an art of war card when activating since otherwise they get more than one dose of poison.
Ignoring the first two damage of monsters is also very helpful since usually monsters are the big damage dealers.

-Autolycus.
He's not the easiest to use since you really need to keep him safe. But when he is healthy, he is amazing. His sneak attack and mobility are great additions too that work well with his omphalos thieving.

-Toxotai.
A range 2 area attack is pretty great for a troop, especially when bolstered. It's guaranteed to do some damage.

-Veteran Heracles.
He's insanely powerful. He one shots weak heroes with pillars and trees from a range of three. His Heraclean feat is what causes him to reliably deal good damage and also get reduced damage from attacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I still haven't played them all.

FWIW, my son (6.5 yo) loves Heracles to pieces, and always chooses him. Throwing columns into Gods' faces must be very satisfying.

Personally: I do like the Minotaur with his bowling ball attack and the mindless destruction it can wreak. Cerberus, Hydra, all fine (and probably more powerful), but a well-timed charge and really mess up the field.

Odysseus: The man's got style.

Python: Python, I love you. You are so bloody annoying. (Echo, Orpheus, ...)

Hoplites: I mostly like them for the visual effects they can create on the map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ice Ice Hedge fund
Thailand
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Rhalius wrote:
I'm just curious about everyone's findings.

So far there's been a few that really stood out to me.

-Medusa.
Of the core box, she is my favorite. Petrify is such a powerful ability. It's a good way to take out enemies that have abilities that make them harder to damage.
Also it causes omphalos to be dropped and waste of art of war cards and activation cards.

-Echidna.
She has good movement, five activations, can climb, has torment and that poison damage is pretty good. It forces the opponent to have an art of war card when activating since otherwise they get more than one dose of poison.
Ignoring the first two damage of monsters is also very helpful since usually monsters are the big damage dealers.

-Autolycus.
He's not the easiest to use since you really need to keep him safe. But when he is healthy, he is amazing. His sneak attack and mobility are great additions too that work well with his omphalos thieving.

-Toxotai.
A range 2 area attack is pretty great for a troop, especially when bolstered. It's guaranteed to do some damage.

-Veteran Heracles.
He's insanely powerful. He one shots weak heroes with pillars and trees from a range of three. His Heraclean feat is what causes him to reliably deal good damage and also get reduced damage from attacks.

I thought veteran heracles first ability is to do area attack with range 0? (Replacing the throw 3d terrain ability)

My favorite unit so far is Achilles. He has been in 5-6 games and he never suffers more than 1 wound at the end of each game. His reroll ability means he never misses and therefore can fight toe to toe with some god.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominick Piantoni
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Hermes the god has 4 movement and can’t be moved by powers and talents.

The Minotaur also that charge and bloodthurst on a map with terrain with force of nature it is especially devastating.

Heracles is a beast just in general that 3 dice change can be a nuisance.

I like Pan’s kit even if I haven’t played him yet. An attack anywhere on the map and the ability to recall his satyrs in addition to recalling another troop unit.

The two veteran minis as great as they are, I personally feel they should be kept with hera’s Expansion since that campaign has you upgrade everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Verheij
msg tools
mbmb
Pan is pretty good yes, and that panic attack is devastating on any cluster of enemies.
That free recall ability for Satyrs should combine nicely with a good leader like Hector and Penthesilea.

So far those two are my favorites when it comes to leading troops.

Penthesilea is really a surprise to me how good she is. That additional boost in defense and attack aside from bolster is great, and it applies to adjacent areas. And it also gives troops +1 movement.
She played a key part in the victory of the single game I used her in so far. It helped troops transport omphalos faster and deal more damage.
Since she has climb, she could get the amazons to attack with 7 dice from a cliff at a range of 3. That's pretty insane for a troop.

And Hector's one ability does not allow non-flyers to enter his area if he is there with a unit of troops, and the other allows him to search for two troop cards and activate them for one art of war card.
If you plan it, you can set this up so that you activate those troops exactly when you need them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abe
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhalius wrote:
-Veteran Heracles.

I can attest to Veteran Heracles being an absolute beast when he was used against me, especially on maps with an abundance of terrain features so his Force of Nature can be fully utilized.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rene Wenzel
Austria
Graz
Österreich
flag msg tools
Typhon, if he has enough art of war cards, can only be attacked from range 2+ attacks.

talos is a perfect guard for every god.

medeas healing is very powerful

bellerophon can collect gems very easily and can't be killed that easy.

Eurytios(? the bowman) on a rock is a beast too

cerberos has powerful attacks

scyllas tentacles can block other units quite easily.

soo many good units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My table likes:

Cerberus. Hes the complete monster package. Guard, block, mighty throw and multi attacks!

Jason. The card draw and lucky rolls are great.

Agememnon. Tge AOW card advantage is huge.

The Fox. Such a sneaky omphalos grabber.

Paris. Ranged attack AND messes with opponents decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hahahaha I just started a game with the Colchidian Dragon - what a hoot!
"Sorry, your talents are gone now, Nemeian Lion. No torment, no block. No, you cannot flee, because I have block. We'll get to know each other really well." That combined with uber-initiative/retaliation is pretty sadistic.

Okay, so I guess that in each game, I will find a new favorite unit. Yay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Verheij
msg tools
mbmb
There's many great units yes, Jason is one of those heroes who will always be a good fit in any army, he always contributes due to his lucky rolls and card draws.

I still need to try the Colchidian dragon, he seems like fun. I did try Ladon who is very devastating, the Python of the opposing army could not compete with that. Makes sense since Python costs a point less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Knöbl
Austria
flag msg tools
I had a lot of fun with Pan latley - the panic-attack is a nice ability! Having phoenix and sissiphos in his army, I crowded the spot for panic with my own troops for a nice 4+4 attack on two enemies (without having to care if phoenix or sissiphos suffer as well, since they both resurrect!)

I did this twice in a game - and the beating of my friends army was so bad, that he needs a pantheon-break for a while.

odysseus played well is very, very helpful.

But then - there are a lot of great creatures still to discover for me ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cyranojak wrote:

odysseus played well is very, very helpful.

I very much agree; and played badly, he is very, very dead very, very soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abe
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marsyas can be an extreme nuisance, forcing your divinity to run towards him, making it easy for them to be focused down.

Bellerophon almost seems OP. He is a great omphalos collector with his speed of 3 and 5 activations. He can be a monster killer with his Monster Slayer talent. And he is an amazing guard with his Pegasus' Grace power. Him being a flying unit means he ignores terrain effects, ignores block, and can also evade in a pinch. Friend of the Muse also ensures that you pretty much always have his card in hand. And on top of all that, he gives 2 (or was it 3?) AOW cards. He is worth every bit of his 5 RPs.

I'm also a fan of Prometheus. He is one of the few monsters that give AOW cards (2) and he regenerates. He has god-like stats with a movement of 2 and range of 1, which is great when paired with his Force of Nature. Only negative is I haven't found a good way to use his Primeival Fire.

Echidna is near untouchable by opposing monsters and her poison can wear units down quickly.

Python is a great omphalos denier and only costs 3 RPs.

Eurytos, as many have already mentioned, can cover and rain death over 3/4 of the map when on a rock.

The great thing about this game is in the diversity of units available. Every unit I've tried so far has some sort of use and are pretty unique from one another. Finding good combos and finding ways to counter your opponent's during the draft is an enjoyable game in and of itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Strong
United States
Ocala
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Chiron as he can help me with drawing from my deck to give me more options, which in turn also brings an AoW card back into play. Yes the opponent gets one as well, but that ability means I don’t have to worry as much about getting units that bring several AoW cards.

I also like Polyphemus! A beast with his Heracles terrain throw like ability. Also the fact that EVERY attack from him means a successful mighty throw can be a game changer! Add in his gem collector ability, and good stats and he’s a beast to play with!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Dolan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aphrodite can be a blast. If you combine her with a guard (especially a troop), you can twist your opponent in knots trying to decide if they spend a precious AoW card to attack her (probably pointlessly). The psychological games you can play with her are fantastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abe
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cruehitman wrote:
I love Chiron as he can help me with drawing from my deck to give me more options, which in turn also brings an AoW card back into play. Yes the opponent gets one as well, but that ability means I don’t have to worry as much about getting units that bring several AoW cards.

I also like Polyphemus! A beast with his Heracles terrain throw like ability. Also the fact that EVERY attack from him means a successful mighty throw can be a game changer! Add in his gem collector ability, and good stats and he’s a beast to play with!

Yes! I came back to add Polyphemus and saw your post. His automatic (and free) mighty throw through his Polyphemus' Anger power is so incredibly useful, allowing him to throw EVERYONE (even titans that normally require 3 blanks) regardless of the die roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.