Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vincent Graham
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm considering picking this up and I have heard lots of good things. However,one of the concerns I have heard from several people is that the battles feel stagnant. Can any one elaborate on this? Is it a valid concern? Is it just a personal expectation that wasn't met? Even if the game leans towards a more abstract tone as long as it is good I would find it interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Petersen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
What are those!
badge
このていどだな、ね?
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a lot of variables that can allow it to go either way. In my experience I have never had a stagnant battle so much as bad dice rolls, things not going according to plan, and poor hand management leading to long recovery. If you like battle games it is one of the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Smith
United Kingdom
Gillingham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never heard that anywhere and I'm always on the forums and here. My personal experience is that every game is different even if you have the same armies on the same board playing the same scenario. Sometimes when we play a second game in an evening we just swap armies and play again, even the scenarios play different each time you play them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philippe Halin
msg tools
I played several times with different players. I would say this game is very good because it is very dynamic and you never find yourself out of options. Now it is true that how more you play and master the game how more it is dynamic. I had indeed 1 session with 3 beginners (very first game for them and no other experience with games with area control) where the combat was very static. The reasons were that they made a very large army with a lot of small troops and they did not use the Art of Wars to control the deck.
But during that game they immediatly understood better the mechanic of the games and the importance of area control and deck control. The very next game was much more cinematic.

I learned for myself that when I introduce the game to beginners the first time it is better to start with a limited (eventally predefined) draft.

If you consider picking it up. Do... this is a very good game. My favorite currently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guest guest
United States
Danvers
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Kedamen wrote:
I have heard from several people is that the battles feel stagnant.

What? I have never heard that complaint and I visit several board game related forums/websites and have played the game with a bunch of different people.

I think the battles are very exciting and tactical. All the different units with their different stats and powers and strengths and weaknesses, thinking about all sorts of different unit combinations and using them properly, thinking about positioning and different terrain, thinking about which unit to activate at which time. Battles are fast and hard and fun and tense and positional and tactical. Stagnant is the last word I'd use to describe the combat in MBP.

It's an incredibly fun and addictive game and the combat is just so fantastic in all regards imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stagnant?....can you please post a link to your source because this is certainly untrue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cleverley
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea... I'm not sure where the term stagnant has come from. I think it's fantastic.

I had one 1v1 battle that did take about two hours but that was mostly because we'd taken so much damage each, it turned into a bit of a stalemate of heavily wounded units with limited options. We still enjoyed it thoroughly - you just have to rethink your tactics.

I'll say what I say when I talk about MBP to people who have never heard of it before. It's the most preposterous game of chess you'll ever play.

Everyone's agreed. And loved it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Strong
United States
Ocala
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just the opposite! I’ve only played skirmish mode with the fantastic and fun drafting system. I’ve played 1v1, 1v1v1, and 2v2. Never had ones that were anything but fun, and SOOOOO many that were downright epic! Best game I own. You’ll fall in love with the minis alone, but the dice mechanic, paying AoW for all sorts of different effects... very nuanced and well balanced. I own Typhon pledge and have everything. So many options. Easy to learn and very deep and strategic! Go for it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Castro
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just for balance I would like to point out that, if your idea of exciting battles is laying waste to your opponents heroes/monsters through the persistent use of one powerful unit, you arguably could be quite disappointed. Most heroes/monsters only have 4 activation, half of which are already used up deploying and making your first move. This leaves you with just 2 activation before you are left waiting for your or your opponents deck to run out so that you get more activation for your star figure. It is my limited experience that after the deck refresh, the game concludes shortly there after.

Specially if your opponent was playing efficiently and strategically using multiple units to perform focused attacks and gathering numerous omphalos to help minimize the number of God activations needed to win via omphalos absorption.

That aside if you are flexible with your unit activation and have an efficient plan in mind, then yeah the game is extremely engaging and exciting. I guess it is all about managing your expectations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominick Piantoni
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
It's stagnant if an experienced player doesn't tell a newcomer they can use manueavres to search for cards or draw cards using AoW cards. This game has a lot of mechanics in place to actively prevent stagnation for unit activations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Tolputt
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Firstly, I've had a number of games with a variety of players now (from children through to middle-aged gamers) and would not describe even our learning games as "stagnant".

That said, I can see how it might feel that way between a bunch of players "turtling" early or late in the game. There is a bit of risk involved to get the win, both in terms of being the first to cycle through their deck and of becoming the "early leader". That's part of the fun though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Graham
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the feedback. I watched a video and read all the ratings comments. I saw the word stagnant come up several times and was just wondering if that was a common concern. It appears it is not. The good news is that I acquired the game and can't wait to get it to the table. Again, thanks for comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guest guest
United States
Danvers
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Kedamen wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback. I watched a video and read all the ratings comments. I saw the word stagnant come up several times and was just wondering if that was a common concern. It appears it is not. The good news is that I acquired the game and can't wait to get it to the table. Again, thanks for comments.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.