Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cam T.
Canada
Victoria
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Wondering if any experienced players can chime in and give their opinions on the new mini expansion. I'm sure there is plenty of variety without it but are veteran players excited about it? Worth the $15-$18?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am! You only get one special ability per ship. Adding a second to pick from makes this a must get.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If price is a concern just wait until it hits the OLGS and it'll be cheaper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in the playtest, and yes, absolutely worth it, in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
P&P RPG>Tabletop>Sports>VideoGames
badge
I love all kinds of games and competitions.
mbmbmbmbmb
Another playtester chiming in here... even if I had no idea what the Ship Abilities are, I would say yes. Abilities are the most powerful and important decision in the game, I could honestly never have enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is about the same price as some 60 card Star Wars LCG expansions or other CCG starters on Amazon, it doesn't worry me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cam T.
Canada
Victoria
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well alright then. Guess I'm all in. Thanks for quick responses
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's cheaper than I paid for the card expansion "Breakin' Atmo" for the Firefly game when it came out and this one has a lot more in it.

The new missions types sound interesting and the extra ship ability for all of the ships in the game are a must have. Not to mention the ability to pick up a Sellsword MKII if you don't already have one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
alandric wrote:
I'm 98% sure that the cheapest way to get it will be via Kickstarter. In particular, it costs $18 + shipping at retail, and $15 + $3 US shipping on Kickstarter. With a bundle you can get it down to $10 + $0 shipping.

As the designer, I'm obviously biased, but personally I'm very excited about it and I'm confident it will do what it's intended to do: add content to the game without adding a lot of new rules overhead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Grace
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's hilarious that anyone would think that this will hit retail and get cheaper before stock runs out. Have we learned nothing in our past Xia experiences?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich
United States
Wingate
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
krztoff wrote:
I think it's hilarious that anyone would think that this will hit retail and get cheaper before stock runs out. Have we learned nothing in our past Xia experiences?

Heck I just bought the game 3 weeks ago. I saw it on the self at my FLGS for $85 plus the expansion was there for another 50, I think. I didn't know what I had found. I remember watching a review of the game maybe a year before but at the time my kids were just too young to play it.

But now... maybe, so I went home to do more research and I also checked my favorite OLGS. What!! $120!... What! Out of stock too! What! Not even showing the expansion on the website for sale!

After reading a few post, and looking around for the base game and expansion online, I quickly realized it might be a long time before I could try this game! And that my FLGS was the best price! Yep next day I was at work, I called my FLGS just 20 minutes after they opened and asked them to save the game and the expansion for me! I picked it up 20 minutes later. I felt like the luckiest guy! It ended up costing me $150 total with expansion... well worth it and I'm glad I didn't wait 1 extra day!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stone
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Probably a bit late to chime in, but I too would recommend this expansion. The price + shipping is in no way an issue, in fact I would have expected to pay more so I am well happy. If this card expansion hadn't come out I would have created my own new mission cards. I love the Elite and Elite: Dangerous computer games and I see Xia as being the closest thing to it in the board game market. To make Xia even more like Elite I would have created mission cards based on those featured in the PC game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mouldy Banana
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Zombie_Spawn wrote:
If this card expansion hadn't come out I would have created my own new mission cards.
You still could make your own and share
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stone
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just might if the dev-kits include blanks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Speicher
United States
Potomac Falls
VIRGINIA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO , and i've backed all of cody's projects, 18$ for 54 card deck is way overpriced, but that's me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
alandric wrote:

Unlike big company games, I doubt this will see a lot of retail light. Xia usually doesn't stick around too long before it's gone.

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
jwspiker wrote:
IMO , and i've backed all of cody's projects, 18$ for 54 card deck is way overpriced, but that's me.
Fair enough. But if you buy it as part of a bundle on the Kickstarter, it's $10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ira212 wrote:
jwspiker wrote:
Fair enough. But if you buy it as part of a bundle on the Kickstarter, it's $10.

Problem is when you already have everything else... But it is what it is I guess

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would take issue that 18 is way too much. It seems comparable to preconstructed decks for CCGs. It's a little bit more probably. However, most CCGs have such large print runs that they have better economies of scale.

It maybe high, but I feel the implication was that it was gouging. I just don't see evidence of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"$18 is too much."

Then don't buy it.

Me? I'll skip the Chipotles I get now and again to support a creator who breaks his back for his backers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Jones
Ireland
flag msg tools
jwspiker wrote:

A standard LCG deck is $15 for 60 cards and FFG games are certainly getting better economies of scale. "Way overpriced" seems like an exaggeration.

Edit: Ah I see the same argument was already made, really should read to the bottom before responding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tess Miller
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
laserjudas wrote:
"$18 is too much."

Then don't buy it.

Me? I'll skip the Chipotles I get now and again to support a creator who breaks his back for his backers.

As Cody’s sister (and employee) I LOVE seeing comments like this. It just makes me so happy seeing that Cody’s loyal followers see how much work and thought he puts into everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tango097 wrote:
laserjudas wrote:
"$18 is too much."

Then don't buy it.

As Cody’s sister (and employee) I LOVE seeing comments like this. It just makes me so happy seeing that Cody’s loyal followers see how much work and thought he puts into everything.

At the risk of sounding overly attached and sentimental, I remember the end of Cody's first campaign like it was yesterday. I remember watching it struggle, fearful the goal was too high. Then it caught on. People saw the beauty and the work and the effort. And it exploded.

And when the timer hit zero...I remember the pure, unfiltered joy of seeing a guy who watched his dream burst into life. The tears-- of relief, ecstasy, gratefulness--that he didn't try to fight, because that would have been a useless gesture.

So, when someone gets a bit on him about price, I get my hackles up a little more than I should. I'm attached and biased. I'm content with that. Xia, and Cody, are what Kickstarter is to me.

Also, he's an excellent smoocher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Well, the Geekstore sells single cards for $3, so here you can pay that much for the deck and get the game and expansion for free!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1000% buying this, mission variety and ship abilities. Take my Money!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.