Subject: [WIP] Carnival Games (2018 9-Card Contest - Component Ready) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rachel Bruner
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Carnival Games has been entered into the 2018 9-Card Game Design Contest.

Summary
You and your companion (child, grandchild, spouse, girlfriend, boyfriend, younger sibling, significant other, etc) are going to the carnival and you have promised to win for them a JUMBO prize! To accomplish this lofty goal you will go on a few rides, eat yummy food, and play the carnival's 12 mini-games. Overall, have fun!

1-3 Players Cooperative
Ages 10+
20-30 minutes

Components
1 Rulebook
9 Double-Sided Cards
1 Small Paperclip
7 Dice
10 Cubes

Categories
Best Overall Game
Best Solitaire Game
Best 2-player Game
Best 3 or more player Game
Best Written Rules
Best Artwork
Most Innovative Mechanic Category
Best Grayscale Printed Game Category

Status = COMPONENT READY

Game Files
-Cards option one: Full Color
-Cards option two: Low Ink
-Rules option one: Rulebook
-Rules option two: Rulebook in BOOKLET format (for printing)
-Rulebook Booklet Printing Instructions

NOTE: Please print the cards at full scale (poker card size) as components will need to be placed on the cards.

Current File Versions
Carnival-Games-Cards-Version1.2.pdf
Carnival-Games-Cards-LOW-INK-Version1.2.pdf
Carnival-Games-Rules-Version1.2.pdf
Carnival-Games-Rules-BOOKLET-Version1.2.pdf
Carnival-Games-Booklet-Printing-Instructions-Version1.2.txt

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ofcc67wzaj1vh5k/AAD10o2kv8BKaGIZ-...

Coming Soon
Low Ink Version Now Available!
TableTop Simulator Mod
Video of Full Game Play Through

All Cards (except the Ticket & Skill Tracker Card)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Bruner
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Carnival Games 2018 9-Card Contest
UPDATES

Version 1.2 - 05 February 2018 (later): Added Low Ink version of the cards!

Version 1.2 - 05 February 2018: Changed version numbering from dates to numbers. New version is now 1.2. Updated CARDS to fix page alignment issue. Updated extra reroll icon on cards with optional reroll. Updated several rules. See the update post for details.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Bruner
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NOTES

The time frame, 20-30 minutes is based on my playtesting and not on the extra time it will take to learn the rules for all the mini-game. (I think that's typical, right?) However, if the time seems too short please let me know.

The age limit is a guess as I'm not sure, but I played it with my six year old (we play a lot of games) and as long as I told her what to do for each mini-game she loved rolling the dice and winning prizes, especially the jumbo prize at the end.

Most of my playtesting has been the solo player version, but I did play one three player game with my parents who thought it was a lot of fun (but they love everything I do, so...).

The game still needs more playtesting but I feel like the flow and balance is about right. I doubt there will be any big changes, maybe some little tweaks here and there, but that depends on your playtesting feedback.

I did a lot of testing with the mini-games to find out a rough estimate of the win vs loss ration for each game. I'm sure a mathematician could figure out the actual probability, but I used the ol' fashioned rolled the dice myself and wrote down the stats. There are some great online calculators for dice statics that I found helpful.

For playtesting feedback here are some things I'm looking for, however, you do not need to answer any of this, it's all optional of course. But if you have the time and the inclination to share your answers, that would be fabulous.

1. Do you think it's going well, and what do you think is or isn't going well?
2. Did you have fun?
3. What would you like to see different?
4. What's your favorite card graphic?
5. Favorite Game Booth mini-game?
6. Least favorite card graphic?
7. Least favorite mini-game, and why?

Thanks for checking out Carnival Games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Bruner
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Design Notes

On December 31st I was working on another 9-card game idea and had made some prototypes. However, I realized I was really bored with it. The potential for the graphics was lackluster (lots of gray colors) and I had no motivation to continue with it. I've found that creating the images is a huge part of my enjoyment with making these games.

While pondering what graphics would be fun to make for a game I thought of stuffed animals, which led me to think of the prizes you can win at a carnival. (Surprisingly I've made all the graphics except the prizes. They're the last of the images I need to make. LOL)

I researched carnival games, typed up a list, and wrote a few notes in my game notebook. Then it sat for a few days, I worked on other stuff, then would come back to the carnival idea, but never got very far.

While browsing through the other 9-card game entries I was impressed with several things, one of the biggest being from Hardcoded and the amount of stuff that could be packed onto one poker sized card in clever ways. This got me thinking of possibilities, which simmered in the back of my brain for a few more days.

Then on January 18th I came back to the carnival idea with some new thoughts. The next day I started making some of the cards. It all started to flow really well. The biggest breakthrough was when I thought of giving each Game Booth its own mini game. This spurred things on and was just what the game needed.

The paperclip idea was originally going to be a "money clip" to hold your money. The Ticket Tracking card used to have dollar bills on it, but to make this more internationally friendly and fit the theme better, I switched to tickets.

Of course you can use a cube or other token besides a paperclip to track the spending of tickets but I like how the paperclip doesn't slip or slide, it doesn't go flying if you bump it or the card and then you're stuck trying to remember how many tickets you had left.

I'm thoroughly enjoying this creative process and am thrilled that making my first game, Hands of Time, wasn't a fluke, that I could do it again but better this time! (With more strategy options.)

Part of this process that has really helped me with making my games has been writing in a journal every morning. I wake up early (before the kids) and write at least three regular sized pages of stream of thought. (I learned this technique from the book, The Artist's Way, which has been hugely helpful.)

Almost every day I would write about my progress with my different game ideas and what I was currently working on. I also wrote other things about my life but game design has taken up a huge chunk of my writing.

Also, I made all the images in the free program, Inkscape, which I first started learning back in October by watching youtube video tutorials by Nick Saporito. I've followed a lot of his tutorials and used it for both of my games as well as other projects.

I look forward to seeing where my creative journey takes me after this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Bruner
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Carnival Games (2018 9-Card Contest - Component Ready)
FYI: Several of the names of the Game Booths have been changed from their more commonly known names. Either from personal preference or to prevent any possible copyright infringement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
subscribed. good luck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Bruner
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to make some images of the stuffed prizes you can win at the carnival games. Both small, large, and JUMBO sized ones. What prizes do you think would be fun?

An obvious one is the big "fuzzy" unicorn, like the one on Despicable Me. I'll have to see if my graphics ability can make that or not. I'm also thinking of a stuffed dragon... 'cause I love dragons.

Any requests?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janine Viglietti
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks neat! subscribed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the contest Rachel

The art looks great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Bruner
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, everyone!

I am leaving town for the weekend but will check in when I have downtime and internet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Melenberg
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent art and a great theme.

The Ferris Wheel allows for rerolls. I did not see when to pay for the rerolls. It says use it immediately at the beginning of the section, so that would suggest that in the middle of a game I go over to ride the Ferris wheel, come back to the game and immediately use at least one reroll. Correct? Makes more thematic sense to me that you would choose to go on a ride and have available one or two rerolls for when you might want to use them.

I've read the rules - overall well written. My favorite line on the last page showing the iconography is: "Reroll one one one time". You could have phrased that more simply, but no you couldn't resist the urge to have a sentence that used the same word 3 times in row. I love it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Bruner
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TopherMel wrote:

Thank you! That means a lot to me.

Quote:
The Ferris Wheel allows for rerolls. I did not see when to pay for the rerolls. It says use it immediately at the beginning of the section, so that would suggest that in the middle of a game I go over to ride the Ferris wheel, come back to the game and immediately use at least one reroll. Correct? Makes more thematic sense to me that you would choose to go on a ride and have available one or two rerolls for when you might want to use them.

I originally had the ride and food cards in the draw pile and when one of them came up you would choose to pay to go on a ride or buy some food, then set the card in front of you to use when you wished. I worried that you may not have access to either card until the end of the first half of the game which would be unfortunate as I feel you really need to have better access. But thematically it doesn't make sense, I agree. After reading your question the idea of maybe letting the player choose one ride or food stand to visit at the beginning of the game and then shuffle the other card into the deck. This way you'd have access to one of the rerolls or replay benefits early on but have to wait for the other until you visited that ride/booth. What do you think? That would fit better with the theme.

Once you use the benefit you would discard the card face up and wait until the last half of the game to access it. So it would be a strategy option to either use it or not, before the draw pile is empty so you could access the card on the other side and use during the second half of the game. Does that make sense?

Quote:
I've read the rules - overall well written. My favorite line on the last page showing the iconography is: "Reroll one one one time". You could have phrased that more simply, but no you couldn't resist the urge to have a sentence that used the same word 3 times in row. I love it!

Haha you caught me! I did have a different phrase initially but it still sounded weird so when I was rewriting it and saw the "one one one" I couldn't resist! I wondered if anyone would realize it was on purpose. You're good.

Thank you so much, Christopher, for reading through my rules and sharing your thoughts with me, it is invaluable!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tuck
England
LONDON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Theme and graphics look fun!

Have printed this out, so will report back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Bruner
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tucky60 wrote:

Theme and graphics look fun!

Have printed this out, so will report back.

Awesome thanks so much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Melenberg
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lovemyfire wrote:
TopherMel wrote:

Quote:

I originally had the ride and food cards in the draw pile and when one of them came up you would choose to pay to go on a ride or buy some food, then set the card in front of you to use when you wished. I worried that you may not have access to either card until the end of the first half of the game which would be unfortunate as I feel you really need to have better access. But thematically it doesn't make sense, I agree. After reading your question the idea of maybe letting the player choose one ride or food stand to visit at the beginning of the game and then shuffle the other card into the deck. This way you'd have access to one of the rerolls or replay benefits early on but have to wait for the other until you visited that ride/booth. What do you think? That would fit better with the theme.

Once you use the benefit you would discard the card face up and wait until the last half of the game to access it. So it would be a strategy option to either use it or not, before the draw pile is empty so you could access the card on the other side and use during the second half of the game. Does that make sense?

Upon first reading Nope
Upon second reading with increased focus and attention Yup!

My opinion without having played your game yet is that you know your game best. Personally I think thematically you need to go on the ride and retain the ability for future use (put it in front of you until you do so). The mechanic should fit the theme.

As for how and when to make them available... without having played your game or done the math around spending tickets I have no idea BUT I assume you've found some kind of mathematical midpoint so that if you were to spend max tickets on all the games you probably wouldn't also be able to afford the food and rides.

SO without having played it I think how you use the rides and food is likely a good way of implementing difficulty levels for your coop game.

EXAMPLE:
Beginner: FREE RIDE and TREAT with purchase of 50 tickets
EASY: FREE RIDE or TREAT with purchase of 50 tickets (shuffle the other into the deck)
NORMAL: Shuffle RIDES and TREAT into deck
HARD: Remove either RIDES or TREATS from deck
CARNIES ARE OUT TO GET YOU: Remove both RIDES and TREATS from game.

Once I give it a go I'll have some better feedback for you.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tuck
England
LONDON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Rachel, I've just returned from the carnival.

Firstly, as I've said before, I love the graphics. They really add to the feel of being at a fairground.

On your file, the right page margin is greater than the left. This meant that, when I printed it duplex, the fronts did not line up with the backs but were offset by a few millimeters. Each trimmed card therefore had the edge of its design on one side trimmed off and appearing on the card next to it.
Fortunately the game was still playable, even though some of the tracker squares were cut through the middle.

I'm generally not keen on games that rely heavily on a lot of dice rolling but, on this occasion, although its pretty much all luck based and you're simply trying to match numbers or achieve a certain score, the variety of the mini games meant that I found it quite a fun experience.
Some of them were quite tense, coming down to the final roll.

I think the different instructions capture the various games pretty well. It reminded me a little of Reiner Knizia's Decathlon. I would be good if a couple of them had more of a push your luck mechanic for even greater variety.

My favourites were:
Hoop shot. Just made the 6th basket shot on my 10th shot.
Tic Tac Toe Toss. I thought this was a clever variant on a classic. Won on final roll.
Wack a Gopher. This had me rolling as fast as I could to get in with the theme. I stacked the hit and miss cubes on each other when sharing a track space. Lost this game.

Less fun were:
Speed ball: simply score 22 or more with 6 dice.
Speed Pitch: similar roll and total.

I chose Aim as my skill and ended up winning 9 of the 12 games. So I narrowly failed to bring home the giant teddy (or whatever the jumbo prize will be). I visited 2 food outlets and went on 1 ride.
The tickets work well as a timer mechanism and mean you have think about your spending as the game progresses. I had 3 remaining at the end of the game.

The rules were clear - I think I played everything correctly.
A few clarifications:
- Components says "1 cube color C = JUMBO prize" but Collect Prize paragraph says "JUMBO prize (no cube)"
- Paying for an additional ticket allows for 1 additional roll but the icons e.g '4x' are confusing (as 4x suggest 4 additional rolls). Shouldn't it just be '1x'?
- Goldfish Speed Skill. Reroll on a net die - even if it was a one?
- Whack a Gopher: I assumed that, after each two rolls, you roll for a new gopher position - but this isn't mentioned.
- Hoop Shot: The Aim Skill says "place a cube on the 12 spot" . I assumed this meant you get 12 shots rather than 10.
- Ring Toss: Says "Roll five dice once". Throw Skill says "Subtract one die . You only roll three dice" Shouldn't this therefore be four dice?
- Ride card reroll: I played that you reroll just 1 die rather than all the dice shown by the game icon.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to another visit to the carnival and trying to win that very large cuddly rabbit (or whatever the jumbo prize will be)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Rachel,
Small favor, can you add [WIP] to the front of your thread title, it makes it stand out easier and lets people know it is a game dedign in progress.
Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Bruner
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a ton, Chris, your input is super helpful!! thumbsup

TopherMel wrote:
lovemyfire wrote:
TopherMel wrote:

Quote:

Upon first reading Nope
Upon second reading with increased focus and attention Yup!

My opinion without having played your game yet is that you know your game best. Personally I think thematically you need to go on the ride and retain the ability for future use (put it in front of you until you do so). The mechanic should fit the theme.

As for how and when to make them available... without having played your game or done the math around spending tickets I have no idea BUT I assume you've found some kind of mathematical midpoint so that if you were to spend max tickets on all the games you probably wouldn't also be able to afford the food and rides.

Currently if you spend the max tickets on all the games you reach 48, allowing you two extra tickets which could be used to go on the Spinning Tea Cups. I've debated making the games cost more, but I feel the current balance might be right, however more playtesting from myself and others will help to see if I need to increase the ticket costs on a few of the cards or not.

Quote:
SO without having played it I think how you use the rides and food is likely a good way of implementing difficulty levels for your coop game.

EXAMPLE:
Beginner: FREE RIDE and TREAT with purchase of 50 tickets
EASY: FREE RIDE or TREAT with purchase of 50 tickets (shuffle the other into the deck)
NORMAL: Shuffle RIDES and TREAT into deck
HARD: Remove either RIDES or TREATS from deck
CARNIES ARE OUT TO GET YOU: Remove both RIDES and TREATS from game.

Once I give it a go I'll have some better feedback for you.

Chris

I really like your levels of difficulty! I've added them to the rules (with adjustments) and really appreciate this. I had wanted to add different levels of difficulty (I did this in my other game, Hands of Time) but wasn't sure how. Your idea makes a lot of sense and allows for different ways to use the Ride and Food cards.

I really like how you added to the theme in your example "FREE RIDE and TREAT with purchase of 50 tickets" but I didn't have enough room in the rules to add that and explain how to use the levels. I had to pair down several things in the rules to get all the new adjustments to fit. Unfortunately, I can't just add one more page, as the booklet formatting requires adding four new pages or I'll have a lot of blank pages. Of course, if I have to add a lot more to the rules, I could do this.

Thanks again!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Bruner
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tucky60 wrote:
Hi Rachel, I've just returned from the carnival.

Firstly, as I've said before, I love the graphics. They really add to the feel of being at a fairground.

Thanks so much! I greatly appreciate you taking my game for a test run.

Quote:
On your file, the right page margin is greater than the left. This meant that, when I printed it duplex, the fronts did not line up with the backs but were offset by a few millimeters. Each trimmed card therefore had the edge of its design on one side trimmed off and appearing on the card next to it.
Fortunately the game was still playable, even though some of the tracker squares were cut through the middle.

Oooh, how embarrassing! blush This explains the issues I was having myself... I thought it was my printer. blushblush

I've fixed the file now!!

Quote:
I'm generally not keen on games that rely heavily on a lot of dice rolling but, on this occasion, although its pretty much all luck based and you're simply trying to match numbers or achieve a certain score, the variety of the mini games meant that I found it quite a fun experience.
Some of them were quite tense, coming down to the final roll.

Thanks, I'm glad you found it fun! I'm usually not a fan of heavy dice games either, but that's how this game came together for me, so I ran with it. Now that I think of it, the dice games I do like allow you to manipulate your rolls, such as in To Court the King, which is why I felt it was important to add ways to adjust your dice or rolls with being able to pay for additional rolls, rerolls, etc.

Quote:
I think the different instructions capture the various games pretty well. It reminded me a little of Reiner Knizia's Decathlon. I would be good if a couple of them had more of a push your luck mechanic for even greater variety.

My favourites were:
Hoop shot. Just made the 6th basket shot on my 10th shot.
Tic Tac Toe Toss. I thought this was a clever variant on a classic. Won on final roll.
Wack a Gopher. This had me rolling as fast as I could to get in with the theme. I stacked the hit and miss cubes on each other when sharing a track space. Lost this game.

Less fun were:
Speed ball: simply score 22 or more with 6 dice.
Speed Pitch: similar roll and total.

Thank you, this is all very helpful. Good idea on adding a push your luck mechanic to one of the games. I'll have to think on that with the Speed ball/pitch games. I struggled with the Speed Pitch game. It was the very last card I made and the one I debated the most about including or not. However, I wanted a speed game to round out the skills (four games for each skill) and none of the other carnival games I considered really worked as speed games. So that's probably why it's less interesting. I'll ponder other possible mini-games for it.

For Speed Ball I made it like the game works in real life. You roll one ball at a time, and you get points (or not) and add them up as you go. At one point of its design I removed the holes on the top left/right, the ones that are currently 60 points. I made sixes equaled zero points and you only needed 180 points to win. It made the game harder to win, but maybe that would be better (and more interesting) than making it easier? Maybe I should go back to that version? Thoughts?

Quote:
I chose Aim as my skill and ended up winning 9 of the 12 games. So I narrowly failed to bring home the giant teddy (or whatever the jumbo prize will be). I visited 2 food outlets and went on 1 ride.
The tickets work well as a timer mechanism and mean you have think about your spending as the game progresses. I had 3 remaining at the end of the game.

The rules were clear - I think I played everything correctly.
A few clarifications:
- Components says "1 cube color C = JUMBO prize" but Collect Prize paragraph says "JUMBO prize (no cube)"
- Paying for an additional ticket allows for 1 additional roll but the icons e.g '4x' are confusing (as 4x suggest 4 additional rolls). Shouldn't it just be '1x'?
- Goldfish Speed Skill. Reroll on a net die - even if it was a one?
- Whack a Gopher: I assumed that, after each two rolls, you roll for a new gopher position - but this isn't mentioned.
- Hoop Shot: The Aim Skill says "place a cube on the 12 spot" . I assumed this meant you get 12 shots rather than 10.
- Ring Toss: Says "Roll five dice once". Throw Skill says "Subtract one die . You only roll three dice" Shouldn't this therefore be four dice?
- Ride card reroll: I played that you reroll just 1 die rather than all the dice shown by the game icon.

Excellent feedback! Thanks for asking for clarification and pointing out the mistakes, I've made adjustments in the rules.

I've also changed the extra rolls to +1x on the cards and in the rules for better clarification.

On the Goldfish Speed skill, yes you get to reroll a one on the net die one time. I'm not sure how to make this more clear. It's the only one I haven't updated.

Originally I had the reroll on the ride cards allow for any type of roll of the dice (if you rolled five dice at once you could reroll all of them) however I like how you played and it makes more sense so I've updated that in the rules. Only one die is rerolled with the Ride card's bonus.

Quote:
Anyway, I'm looking forward to another visit to the carnival and trying to win that very large cuddly rabbit (or whatever the jumbo prize will be)

Thanks again, your feedback was priceless and hugely appreciated! I hope you do visit the carnival again.

Oh, and the prizes can be whatever you want! I've added a side note that players can state what type of prize they have won, or exchanged for. The image I added is a teddy bear, as that's what I made before my trip. I was hopping to make a whole booth of just prizes but I don't have room in the rules. If I ever have to add more pages to the rules I'll consider making a lot of prize images like I'd originally planned.

I wonder if I should make the teddy bear a bright color, like green or blue. Hm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Bruner
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kingspud wrote:
Hi Rachel,
Small favor, can you add [WIP] to the front of your thread title, it makes it stand out easier and lets people know it is a game dedign in progress.
Thanks

DONE! Thanks, Joseph, for the reminder!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Bruner
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to all the great feedback I've updated the cards and rules as follows:

-Version documenting on all files has been changed from dates to numbers. Current version is 1.2.

-Cards are now centered on the page for correct printing

-Cards with an extra reroll now show a +1x. These cards are: Balloon Pop, Knock 'Em Down, Shooting Gallery, and Speed Pitch.

-Changed the benefit of Ride card rerolls to only be used for one die. On page 4 under "Food & Ride Cards" it now states, "Ride cards give you the benefit of one or two rerolls, respectively. The reroll can be used at any time during a mini-game to reroll one die once. Ex. If you just rolled one die, you may reroll it. If you rolled five dice, you may only reroll one."

-Also under "Food & Ride Cards" on page 5 added the paragraph, "For higher levels of difficulty, these cards may be in the deck. When a Ride or Food card is revealed, you may pay to visit that booth, if you do, set it aside to use its benefit during a future game. If you don’t pay, discard the card face up."

-On page 5 updated the image to show +1x on the dice for a fourth (extra) reroll.

-Added to page 6 under "Exchanging Prizes" an image of a teddy bear and added, "For fun: state what type of prize you’ve won or exchanged, including the JUMBO prize."

-Added to page 7, "Level of Difficulty" which now states:
"BEGINNER: Place Ride and Treat cards according to initial setup.
EASY: Place either the Spinning Cups or Tasty Treats card in front of you at setup, your choice. Shuffle the other into the deck.
NORMAL: Shuffle both Ride and Food cards into the deck.
HARD: Remove one of the Ride or Food cards from the game.
CARNIES ARE OUT TO GET YOU: Remove both Ride and Food cards from the game."

-On page 12 in the icon chart: updated the reroll icon text to only allow one reroll of one die and added the +1x dice icon and text at the bottom.

-Made other clarifications, fixed typos, and adjusted some of the text and layout to fit the changes into the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Melenberg
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for including my suggestion. I thought it would work, but thought you may have some tweaks. I'll take the compliment!

I played the game once on "normal" with the speed skill. I liked it! Similar to the other playtester, games that are primarily luck-based aren't my cup of tea, but the theme and mechanics mostly fit. I'm still a huge fan of your art and that will definitely be getting a vote!

It took me roughly 40-45 minutes to play over 2 sessions. In part this had to do with having to read the rules for each game. Once known, the time would drop by a lot making 20-30 minutes seem reasonable.

When I played "Knock 'Em Down" I started to wish that the games had some dexterity aspect to them (probably because I could picture stacking the dice and flicking other dice at them... I guess I was just getting into the theme.

Like the above playtester, I won 9 of 12 games and had 4 tickets left, though I suspect I may have missed paying for something because I believe I paid full for everything except for some of the +1s AND bought both rides. I lost 2 of the 3 first games, but decided to keep playing because I wanted to try all games and still had a chance. In those first 3 games I did not have access to a ride or food. So normal mode made it a bit harder. I also played that if I did not go to stand or ride right away then I discarded it. Was that correct?

The games I lost were Hammer Slam, Balloon Pop and Shooting Gallery. I thought Shooting Gallery would be a breeze, but the dice just were not with me! I should have eaten something!

Hoop shot seemed like the easiest game to me. I won in 6 rounds. Admittedly a bit lucky, but still seemed unlikely I'd lose in 10 rounds.

Overall very nice work! Must have been a fun challenge to make 12 different games that mimicked their real life counterparts.

I think my favorite game was the fish game. Not sure why. Just liked it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Bruner
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Chris, for playtesting my game!!

TopherMel wrote:
Thanks for including my suggestion. I thought it would work, but thought you may have some tweaks. I'll take the compliment!

I played the game once on "normal" with the speed skill. I liked it! Similar to the other playtester, games that are primarily luck-based aren't my cup of tea, but the theme and mechanics mostly fit. I'm still a huge fan of your art and that will definitely be getting a vote!

Thank you, I've had a ton of fun making the game and graphics.

Quote:
It took me roughly 40-45 minutes to play over 2 sessions. In part this had to do with having to read the rules for each game. Once known, the time would drop by a lot making 20-30 minutes seem reasonable.

That's good to know and I figured it would take extra time for all the rules.

Quote:
When I played "Knock 'Em Down" I started to wish that the games had some dexterity aspect to them (probably because I could picture stacking the dice and flicking other dice at them... I guess I was just getting into the theme.

Haha, I might have to consider it. That's awesome you were getting into the theme. thumbsup

Quote:
Like the above playtester, I won 9 of 12 games and had 4 tickets left, though I suspect I may have missed paying for something because I believe I paid full for everything except for some of the +1s AND bought both rides. I lost 2 of the 3 first games, but decided to keep playing because I wanted to try all games and still had a chance. In those first 3 games I did not have access to a ride or food. So normal mode made it a bit harder. I also played that if I did not go to stand or ride right away then I discarded it. Was that correct?

Yes, if you choose not to pay for the Ride or Food booths you discard them like you do the Game booths.

Quote:
The games I lost were Hammer Slam, Balloon Pop and Shooting Gallery. I thought Shooting Gallery would be a breeze, but the dice just were not with me! I should have eaten something!

Haha, that's games for you. With the games being mostly luck based it's going to be a toss up of which games you're lucky/unlucky in.

Quote:
Hoop shot seemed like the easiest game to me. I won in 6 rounds. Admittedly a bit lucky, but still seemed unlikely I'd lose in 10 rounds.

I just checked and my tests for Hoop Shot have been 50/50 for the win/loss ratio. I originally had the number of dice you could pay for at 4 and 5 (vs the current 5 and 6) but my playtests showed that with four dice the loss ration was really high. I'd like some games to have higher possibility of winning while others are more likely to be a loss without either being too easy or hard.

These playtests will be really helpful to see how this goes both overall and in the mini games.

Quote:
Overall very nice work! Must have been a fun challenge to make 12 different games that mimicked their real life counterparts.

Some games were definitely harder than others to come up with. Some just came together, especially those that fit better with the theme, I think.

Quote:
I think my favorite game was the fish game. Not sure why. Just liked it.

That's my favorite game too! I think part of it is the visual of catching as many goldfish as you can before the net breaks. Having dice represent the fish and net with the net breaking on rolled ones just has a nice feel to me.

I looked at several photos, watched a few videos, and read the wiki on the history of this carnival game. Maybe because it's a bit different than the carnival games I know. Either way, it always makes me smile when I play it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldfish_scooping

Sometimes they scoop plastic fish, toys, balls, etc. I was going to put a note in the rules about Carnival Games only using plastic goldfish but I didn't have room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Bruner
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A new LOW INK version of the cards is now available! (Link is in the OP.) I removed all shadows and kept the images as empty as possible.

Whew, it took some work (looks easier than it was) but I think the cards look great and can be colored in by anyone who like to color.

Which Speed Ball card is better? With or without the gray background? I don't like how the numbers are harder to read with the white background but it fits better with the rest of the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Pearce
msg tools
mbmb
lovemyfire wrote:

Which Speed Ball card is better?
The grey card is slightly clearer but not noticeably so and I think you can get away with the white background one just fine. You could possibly also make the outline of the speed ball slightly thinner in order to use even less ink.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.