Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This is not one of those, "I'm really hard to please so I'm going to whine" posts... or, one where the publisher would say to themselves, "Geeze... try and do something special and there's always someone who's going to complain!" posts...

But admittedly this is going to sound like one of those posts! Sorry. It's just that being hard to please is not my motivation here, as I'm usually very easy to please.

Anyhoo... do any of you other Kickstarter backers find the box cover sleeve to be lackluster in appearance? To the point where you'd rather show off the actual box on your shelf and ditch the sleeve?

I dunno... I mean, the box cover itself is a joy to look at! It's so full of color... The words pop out... The name of the game on the spine of the box stands out. And be it either seen on the game table at the local MeetUp, or sitting on your shelf, the box cover as is, is simply stunning! ... And it grabs attention!

So why would I want to cover it with a sleeve that is dull and lifeless? The lettering in the front of the sleeve is OK, but on the side, is small and blends into the background. This game with its sleeve will not stand out on the shelf, IMHO. I get that the sleeve is supposed to give the effect that the game looks like a "book"... but I dunno.

Appreciation of artwork and design is such a subjective taste. So this is my opinion only.

Actually, I find this to be the case with most box cover sleeves that are offered as a (usually only) Kickstarter exclusive. I have about four or five games now, that came with a sleeve as the only incentive for backing the game. And in almost every case, the sleeve is very underwhelming. The only reason I keep them is to protect the actual box for the long haul. Though I just might ditch this one.

I don't have a point, really. And this is not meant to be a "value added" conversation. But what do you guys & gals think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell McKinney
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
The grumpiest grump
mbmbmbmbmb
We purchased The Grimm Forest, as did another person in our game group, and we are exactly divided. We think the cover is awesome, and kept it. The other person that bought it didn't like it and took it off. So at the very least, you're not the only person that dislikes it.

Here's my thoughts on the cover. First of all, even though you are trying not to sound like you are complaining, you are honestly putting a lot of weight to what is essentially a non-issue. There are only two options; leave it on, or take it off. If you don't like one, then do the other. Toss the cover and pretend it never came with the game. I'm not trying to down you voicing you opinion, and I don't want to come off as crass, but yeah.

I do want to address something you mentioned though! You had said how you feel like it will not stand out on a shelf because it is "dull and lifeless," but wouldn't that actually make it stand out more? If I have a bunch of super colorful rainbow tie-dye boxes on a shelf, and one stark white one, that is the one that is going to stand out the most.

Personally, I love both the box and the cover. The box is fun and whimsical, and the cover fits in really well with the theme. Could they have done more? Sure. Should they have? Maybe, but I like it just as is. Now, that might just be because minimalisty boxes tickle me to death, but I feel like that is a pretty common thing. There are a lot of people that really dig simple designs, and this game does something awesome, because it can please people like me, and people like you, too. If you look at it like that, then the cover is a wonderful inclusion to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael MS
Australia
DUBBO
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
- Don't touch me !!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I just felt that it's a different cover. Some people will like the thematic on the sleeve, a "book on the shelf look". Who knows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ah kaiser
Canada
Woodstock
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry cant help you, I live in Canada and probably will be waiting for the game for another 3-4 months...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gina Laurie
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Master of none
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate that you get two entirely different looks with the cover versus without. However, my cover fits so tightly that I actually peeled a tiny bit of one box corner getting it back on the box. I'm not sure I'll use it for that reason. I could see it creating some real damage if I was pulling it on and off regularly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Donahue
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bummer! I have sort of the opposite opinion: I love everything about the sleeve! I like it for thematic reasons, for protective reasons (mine fits perfectly), and for artistic reasons (I like the way it looks!). To each their own!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

fullbloodlion wrote:
First of all, even though you are trying not to sound like you are complaining, you are honestly putting a lot of weight to what is essentially a non-issue.

Yes! That's very true! I guess it shows how much this hobby has infiltrated my psyche. Thanks for the wake-up call!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

OMFG Its Vico wrote:
To each their own!

Very true... there is no accounting for taste, after all.

Not that it would change mine, but I was only curious where the "average" opinion falls, is all. And sometimes, learning what the "Average opinion" is, sometimes causes me to revisit and re-evaluate my own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Chaffer
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Grand Rapids Area Boardgamers
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like the explicit "backer" phrasing on the back of the sleeve, but I think the overall presentation is classy. And in general, box sleeves are useful because they make sure the box stays snug when stored sideways (so that all the lovely trayed components don't shift about).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell McKinney
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
The grumpiest grump
mbmbmbmbmb
JonBob wrote:
I don't like the explicit "backer" phrasing on the back of the sleeve, but I think the overall presentation is classy. And in general, box sleeves are useful because they make sure the box stays snug when stored sideways (so that all the lovely trayed components don't shift about).

Whaaaaat?! The backer text on the back was my favorite bit! A little shout-out to the people that have them the ability to make the game. I thought that was awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James R. Gracen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
fullbloodlion wrote:
Whaaaaat?! The backer text on the back was my favorite bit! A little shout-out to the people that have them the ability to make the game. I thought that was awesome.

Agreed. I picked it up, flipped over the box, saw that, and laughed out loud. Love the slip case!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Hayes
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
Superbowl Champions!
badge
Can't stop buying games...
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved both. But, ultimately, I am showing Grimm Forest as front facing in one of my Kallax Shelf cubes. The sleeve is currently sitting atop the unit, but I will eventually probably just cut it and frame it. I did the same with my cover of Scythe after I bought the Legendary Box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Bieri
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget there's an actual function to a box sleeve. It helps keep the cover from sliding open when stored vertically

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

mrranch wrote:
Don't forget there's an actual function to a box sleeve. It helps keep the cover from sliding open when stored vertically

OK, now I'm curious and gotta ask... How is that a problem? I store all my games vertically, and only a few which are stuffed beyond the brim, require such attention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

fullbloodlion wrote:
You had said how you feel like it will not stand out on a shelf because it is "dull and lifeless," but wouldn't that actually make it stand out more? If I have a bunch of super colorful rainbow tie-dye boxes on a shelf, and one stark white one, that is the one that is going to stand out the most.

While re-reading your post, I'd like to re-visit it by addressing this excerpt. Yes, you have a great point. And again, it's all highly situational by person, but I have lots of games on my shelf that fit the "minimalistic" approach... either subdued in an elegant, classy way, or simply plain.

As such, I was thinking more about those times like when the grandkids come to visit... they always checkout my gaming shelves to see what's new or what grabs their attention. I don't like to suggest games to them, usually, as I rather they find something that appeals to them.

So it was actually this exact scenario that played in my mind when I wrote my OP! With the slip cover, 'Grimm Forest' would almost certainly be overlooked, resulting in me pulling the game off the shelf and announcing, "This is what we're going to play!" (Because secretly, Grandpa is excited over the game and wants to play it!)

But without the sleeve... I guarantee you they will spot it within ten seconds and put it on the table... all without me having to utter a word!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Lanza
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmb
I love the cover except I wish it was made out of plastic. I like the book look and the nice art you seen once removed.

However, my cover was received torn. Easily repaired, but just wish the sleeve was thicker or made out of plastic.

I like mine. But we will see how durable it is over time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick G
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
The cover is nice. That said it covers up the beautiful box art on the game. While today I’m using the cover I could see myself going without to ensure the game gets the looks it deserves with hat box art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Liming
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I use a hairband on nearly every game so things don't blow open when on the shelf or on the move, the cover sleeve is fine for this game.

BL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Chaffer
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

mrranch wrote:

OK, now I'm curious and gotta ask... How is that a problem? I store all my games vertically, and only a few which are stuffed beyond the brim, require such attention.

For games where the components are bagged and free-floating in the box, the contents will often settle to the bottom when the game is stored vertically, causing outward pressure on the box and making the box slide open to some degree unless there is something like a sleeve or bookends to keep it closed.

For games with a nice insert like this one that is less likely to happen, but when it does happen the results are worse because then the components can fall out of their nice wells in the insert.

I use Hugo's Amazing Tape to avoid this problem where I have to, but a box sleeve is a nicer-looking solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

JonBob wrote:
For games where the components are bagged and free-floating in the box, the contents will often settle to the bottom when the game is stored vertically, causing outward pressure on the box and making the box slide open...

Ah! I see what your problem is... you need to buy more games! Having a game on either side will take care of that!

(I store all my games like books on a shelf, so the two games on either side of any other game prevents the lid from opening as you describe. That's what I had in mind when I wrote my question).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Chaffer
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here, but game sizes don't always cooperate so nicely that all the boxes completely fill a shelf with no room at all left over. It's a tiny problem, but it can happen if the box lid is not secured in any way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seena J
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a fine sleeve but we trashed our sleeve since we really like the box art!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Bieri
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeenaJ wrote:
It's a fine sleeve but we trashed our sleeve since we really like the box art!

I would have taken it!

Anyone in Wisconsin are who does not like/want their box sleeve? I'd take it.

It turns out if you wanted to support your FLGS and pre-order through them during the kickstarter (they ordered a large retailer amount with Druid City during the kickstarter)I assumed I would still get a backer version complete with sleeve. Well... I was wrong. So I have the same price I would have paid then but because I let them get a retailer discount as "backers" they still don't get versions like regular backers apparently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Brebach
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Visually I prefer the box to the sleeve. But the sleeve fleetingly added fun to the 1st reveal.

When a game box is done right it is the best view of the game possible. As a publisher you must put that best foot forward onto game store shelves. It makes zero sense to give retailers what appears to be a visually weaker product compared to a KS special version. the job of the stretch goal box sleeve is to give backers a special option, not an obviously better option.

Having said all that i think this box sleeve was well designed to look like an ancient tome full of wonders. The backer message focused on the narrative that the backers helped realize this games story too.

Its exemplary in my view.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.