FAB: The Bulge» Forums » General

Subject: Some questions related to the game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Laurens van Boekhout
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Hi All,

So i have just received a copy of FAB: The bulge. I just have some quick questions I hope you guys can help me with.

1. ASSETS: You can see the available assets from both players. Would it be fun to hide those assets so that you can't see which available assets the enemy has and can use?

2. MOVEMENT: In territory B there are 2 units (max stacking limit). now I have a unit in territory A that needs to go to territory C through B. Is it possible to move my unit through territory B even if that territory has 2 units?

3. ARTILLERY: I have assigned 2 artillery assets as the germans to a battle. There is only a 1 step inf unit without fieldworks. If I have 2 hits with my artillery, can he then absorb this hits by 1. getting disrupted and then 2. Retreating to another area? Or does he needs to take that second hit as a step loss?

If it was a 2-step unit and he would take that second hit as a step loss, could he then when getting hit by ground fire absorb that hit by retreating even if he got disrupted by artillery?

Sorry for my english.

Greetings,

laubox
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
laubox wrote:
1. ASSETS: You can see the available assets from both players. Would it be fun to hide those assets so that you can't see which available assets the enemy has and can use?

You can certainly do that - Rick Young mentioned that it would be more realistic but also might take longer or be more fiddly - I suppose if you used Scrabble-style racks it might work very well. I've never bothered hiding asset/event chits, though, and I've never found my decisions much affected by the knowledge of what my opponent has.

Quote:
2. MOVEMENT: In territory B there are 2 units (max stacking limit). now I have a unit in territory A that needs to go to territory C through B. Is it possible to move my unit through territory B even if that territory has 2 units?

Stacking limits are only enforced at the end of each phase, so yes you can, with a couple of restrictions:
1) The area you're moving through cannot contain enemy units (5.35b).
2) You must pay one extra movement point for entering each occupied area (5.32).

I find that the movement costs generally render it impractical to do this - particularly since the Germans would probably need to pay fuel for such a move.

Quote:
3. ARTILLERY: I have assigned 2 artillery assets as the germans to a battle. There is only a 1 step inf unit without fieldworks. If I have 2 hits with my artillery, can he then absorb this hits by 1. getting disrupted and then 2. Retreating to another area? Or does he needs to take that second hit as a step loss?

No, artillery hit distribution is different than ground fire. For defenders, it's:
1) lose field works, if present
2) disrupt defenders, if not already disrupted
3) step losses

6.42 covers this, but the different options for ground and artillery hits make it a little confusing. So in your case, he'd have to take the second hit as a step loss.

Quote:
If it was a 2-step unit and he would take that second hit as a step loss, could he then when getting hit by ground fire absorb that hit by retreating even if he got disrupted by artillery?

For ground fire, you'll follow this list:
1) lose field works, if present
2) absorb one hit by retreating, if desired
3) step losses

Option 2 is always available, whether the defenders are in good order, recovering, or disrupted. Does that answer your question?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurens van Boekhout
Netherlands
flag msg tools

Thank you Sam! Now I am ready to play the game! It is my first wargame by Rick Young. I normally play only play games by Mark Simonitch.

one more thing tho about movement. Do i also pay one extra movement point for entering an FRIENDLY(max stacked) area?

Quote:

Stacking limits are only enforced at the end of each phase, so yes you can, with a couple of restrictions:
1) The area you're moving through cannot contain enemy units (5.35b).
2) You must pay one extra movement point for entering each occupied area (5.32).

I find that the movement costs generally render it impractical to do this - particularly since the Germans would probably need to pay fuel for such a move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
laubox wrote:

Thank you Sam! Now I am ready to play the game! It is my first wargame by Rick Young. I normally play only play games by Mark Simonitch.

one more thing tho about movement. Do i also pay one extra movement point for entering an FRIENDLY(max stacked) area?

Yes, any area that is occupied (even if only by a garrison unit) costs 1 extra MP to enter - no matter if they're friendly or enemy forces. See 5.32.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.