5 Posts

Near and Far» Forums » General

Subject: [QUESTION] What about choiches? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lorenzo Cotti
Italy
flag msg tools
One of the reason I skipped Above and Below it's because my play group said decisions in the book where forced, like if you had some objects you could choose the best option between two, if not you had to pick the evil one and do nothing about it. Is it the same with this new game or does it provide some true choices with advantages and disadvantages each?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say in both games there are obvious choices, but no, you are not forced to go anywhere or do anything. There are different choices both in the gameplay and in the stories.

It is not always worth spending hearts to increase the result by the two extra points you need for the bonus, you can guess what choices might get you the faction colours you might choose to chase after, your choices of whether to use skill or combat is sometimes guided by whether you have a higher ability in skill or combat, but you can choose, to a certain extent, which of those you want to develop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cohn
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Mal: Well, look at this! Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us? Zoe: Big damn heroes, sir! Mal: Ain't we just.
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I played map 3 out of 4 of a Character campaign just last night and plan to finish the last map tonight, so here I am with a fresh example.

In Near and Far, no spoiler, there are really two types checks on quests, either Fight or Skill, and the talents of your group can influence which of those you might be more inclined to do, but it does not force either. Your quest, your choice of which result you go after. You may have a very hard Skill test, but it can still be passed with a bit of luck and preparation. You may have a very easy Fight test, but it may still be failed unless you somehow mitigate the results.

One of her quests last night came up with a very specific either/or choice. It was interesting to read the choices and results and realize whatever she does, it may affect future choices/quests during the rest of the campaign.

And yes, in our experience, there are some true choices with advantages and disadvantages to each, some time the initially lesser desired result is actually an advantage as it helps you obtain something that a bright-and-shiny-Paladin-type-do-gooder could never obtain, but a rogue-ish character with a little rough edges might be able to use... (I'll leave it at that).

Enjoy!
~Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian V
Canada
Kitchener/Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you are building your character with items and party members you can focus on what stats you try to get (usually skill, or combat). This choice represents how you will obtain victory points on the map, and how you will approach problems in quests (in the book).

You can be balanced, or load up. Some book quests have double skill/combat choices, some one of each, some three options. It doesn’t simply come down to how many lanterns you feel you can get, which is nice. You can also spend “hearts” to push toward a quest reward if you roll poorly or don’t have the stats to make it.

All in all, a much better “choice experience” when using the book.

It makes me want an “arcade mode” for above and below, like near and far has.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Conradie
Canada
Rossland
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with the other posters - played this one lots with my 7 year old and there are many choices and paths to take (excuse the pun).

PS: What are "choiches"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.