Subject: 5- or 6- player possibilities? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been having a heck of a time trying to get a fairly simple question answered about this game (and the entire Eagles of France system in general), and am hoping that someone here might be able to help me out!

I've read and re-read the rules to the system. They look great to me. I can't wait to get my hands on one of these games. But ... I'd like a game that could reasonably accommodate up to 6 players.

The "Eagle of France" rules do NOT address multiplayer games, even though Austerlitz officially accomodates up to 6 players and Ligny up to 4.

What I've been able to piece together is that gameplay is built around leaders and their accompanying formations. Given that, could not any of these Eagles of France games be enjoyably played with up to as many players as there are leaders/formations in the game?

I don't see why not, but as someone who has never played the game, nor seen it in person, nor read any of the playbooks, I'm not certain. I'd rather wait until a more suitable game for me/my group comes out, than attempt to fix a square peg into a round hole here. But again, as far as I can tell, so long as players are acceptable taking on roles that are someone inferior to others (I am reminded of playing Italy in Axis & Allies global), this game (and all games in this system) seem pretty much perfect.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who could help shed real light on this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
walter vejdo
France
paris
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We have played a four player game at the Paris convention with a combo of Quatre Bras and Ligny.

Most game can easily be played with four players. to go to six, players have to accept to control less formations and have more down time to play.

One option is to have two players playing the Commander in Chief only: they decide who to activate, the orders, can do direct commander actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Merci beaucoup!

I take it the downtime is waiting between activations for your particular leader(s) and formation(s) to activate, no?

More players = fewer leaders/formations per player = more downtime ?

(As someone who is used to playing A&A, where a full hour can pass between player turns, I'm not too worried about what's usually referred too as "waiting" in other games!)

And if I may indulge in one more question:
Would you happen to have an opinion as to why Austerlitz is rated as a 6-player game and Ligny as 4-player game?
Are there more leaders/formations to control in Austerlitz?
Is there something unique about Austerlitz that more readily lends itself to a larger player count?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am just offering some thoughts here because you are getting frustrated by the question, so please understand that I make these comments having not played a two map scenario, it is just my take. Others may have done and have more valuable advice.

Yes - each formation (Corps) has a Corps leader, so it becomes easy to allocate formations to different players.

There are also army Commanders (Blucher, Napoleon, Grouchy) - who will perform those roles?

Formations activate one a time and run through an entire sub-sequence like a mini turn. At that time only the active corps and the defending corps (if engaged) will be playing. So quite a bit of sitting around for the other gamers.

When it is say the French turn, how will you decide which player / Corps will take its turn to attempt activation? Perhaps that could be an additional role of the army commander.

Because 'end of turn' is diced for through the turn, you may see a turn end early and have some formations that do not get activated (though they can do strategic movement at the end of the turn) and this might exacerbate how long some individual players are seeing down time and it may cause arguments in the group as to who gets to activate next (i.e. activate early and reduce the chance of getting timed out!).

The game opens with hidden counters on the table and dummies. The army commander would be best placed to move these pieces until they are discovered as this will not disclose to the other side which are dummies and which formation belongs to a specific player.

The Army Commander will need to be the one changing orders during play.

I think it is all quite do-able, but that there may be too much down-time for individual players. As I say, just my inexperienced take.

Sorry - I took so long typing this, the two above replies were made before I posted - Doh!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is all very helpful and much appreciated.

I seem to have correctly understood the rules, and the game seems play exactly as I had though it would.

This is all very exciting. I have been sitting on the fence for a game just like this for years now!

Now the only challenge for me is to decide which title in the series to pick up, and where to find it! (I guess I shall need to order it straight from Hexasim.)

Thank you once again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wall
United Kingdom
Ormskirk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This a brilliant series and as Norman's opponent playing short scenarios from both Ligny and Austerlitz, I can say that both games offer great situations and engrossing play. Either of these two games would provide equally challenging and enjoyable situations. I would not tend to choose Falling Eagles [the very first game in the series]as your first purchase, as it offers far less scope for manoeuvre.

So buy either Austerlitz or Ligny and then persuade a family member that you want your birthday/Christmas present very, very early! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.