BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Trades

Subject: Benelux Math Trade February 2018 Discussion Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nancy M.
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the discussion thread for the February 2018 Benelux Math Trade.

Trade Geeklist: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/237307
Request list: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/237308

List closes: Sunday, February 18th, 9:00 AM CET
Deadline for submitting lists: Sunday, February 25th, 9:00 AM CET

New rules since last math trade:
* To avoid returning discussions and confusion, this math trade is only open for people with a shipping address in the Benelux.
* A combination of money and games is not allowed in one item.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Van Goylen
Belgium
Kortrijk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hooray! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giant Mustache
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since Kiala has vanished into UPS and the UPS website is quite unclear on the costs... Does anyone know the price for sending a package from The Netherlands to Belgium? Given that you will bring it to an access point and it will be picked up at an access point as well?

Or, does anyone know good alternatives? dhl seems to deliver for 8,-.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
giantmustache wrote:
Since Kiala has vanished into UPS and the UPS website is quite unclear on the costs... Does anyone know the price for sending a package from The Netherlands to Belgium? Given that you will bring it to an access point and it will be picked up at an access point as well?

Or, does anyone know good alternatives? dhl seems to deliver for 8,-.

I've tried the UPS price calculator and it came up everytime with a minimum price of around €20. I guess I must've been doing something wrong, but with these unclear prices I think I'm going with DHL or PostNL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvia
Netherlands
flag msg tools
DPD is 8,50 from Netherlands to Belgium. Also to Luxembourg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nancy M.
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
giantmustache wrote:
Since Kiala has vanished into UPS and the UPS website is quite unclear on the costs...

Yes, shipping with UPS does not have a fixed price any more. Even for shipping inside the Netherlands to certain areas (like Dutch Flanders - Zeeuws Vlaanderen) they charge an extra fee. I will use DPD this time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior A
France
flag msg tools
Is this open to people from France?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmb
It's stated explicitly in the original post:

* To avoid returning discussions and confusion, this math trade is only open for people with a shipping address in the Benelux.

So unfortunately, no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior A
France
flag msg tools
I saw it later, but, is there a reason why outside the use of the term Benelux?

Shipping from and to France is pretty much the same price, at least to and from Belgium and Luxembourg.

Don't really know the shipping options from the Netherlands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you would exhaustively check all shipping options (both from France and to France from each BeNeLux country) and find that they're not more expensive, I guess it could be debated if people from France could join.

That said, one main thing from previous discussions is that people might be more reluctant to join in the math trade, fearing that they'll have to pay more for shipping (if that's not the case, they might not necessarily know, even if you put it in bold in both topics - people just don't read that thoroughly, as you might have noticed yourself ). Given that the goal is to have as many people participate as possible, that alone might be a reason not to allow it. Either way, the decision is up to the organizer, and she appears to be keeping that door shut - and I can certainly understand she does not want to go through the whole discussion again (not the first time it has been started).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nancy M.
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Badigel wrote:
Is this open to people from France?

I am sorry, no. The math trade is only open for people with a shipping address inside the Benelux. In the previous math trades we had several discussions about this and I don't want to have those each time, hence my decision. Also I want to keep it as simple and clear as possible for newcomers.

Every 3-4 months there is a European math trade. The last one was in November, so I assume the next one will be the second half of February or March.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior A
France
flag msg tools
I understand the issues but note that:

1. Shipping to/from France is very very cheap to Belgium and Luxembourg. I am not sure about the Netherland, but I doubt it is cheaper to ship from Luxembourg to Netherland than it is from Lux to France.

2. French are a huge boardgame crowd, and as with any math trade, the more the better. I think it could benefit the number of games by 20-40%.
There is the Euro math trade, but shipping to most Euro countries is not as cheap as to ship to Benelux. Also, the French math trade is pretty much dead. No math trade in more than a year, so the French are thirsty for a trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Huan
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If "(the) French are a huge boardgame crowd", and "the French are thirsty for a trade", I think the logical deduction would be one of the French (maybe, you?) organises a trade soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
Badigel wrote:
1. Shipping to/from France is very very cheap to Belgium and Luxembourg. I am not sure about the Netherland, but I doubt it is cheaper to ship from Luxembourg to Netherland than it is from Lux to France.

It is not. Shipping something to France is a lot more expensive for me. E.g. DPD, cost is 20 euros to France, 7 euros to the Netherlands. If you include France, then I'm out.

Cause why stop there? After including france you can also include Germany (cheaper than france for me). And Spain, Portugal, Italy, ...

There is a european math trade for that.

Badigel wrote:
2. French are a huge boardgame crowd, and as with any math trade, the more the better. I think it could benefit the number of games by 20-40%.

Possible that it is a huge crowd. But most of the stuff they offer is in French. I've seen it in the European math trades. Though even there the French don't participate that often. If there is a hugh crowd wanting to trade, they can easily start a math trade themselves, no?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jelle Gommers
Belgium
Herentals
Other (Non U.S.)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very curious to enter this, need to figure out how though.
I've only participated in a math trade once and I don't remember how I did it anymore. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior A
France
flag msg tools
Kwakkie wrote:
Badigel wrote:

It is not. Shipping something to France is a lot more expensive for me. E.g. DPD, cost is 20 euros to France, 7 euros to the Netherlands. If you include France, then I'm out.

I don't know DPD but with mondial relai you can ship a 3 kilos package from Belgium to France for 6.60 euros, which is cheaper than shipping to the Netherlands.

If France is excluded because people are not aware of shipping options, that is a pity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
Badigel wrote:
Kwakkie wrote:
Badigel wrote:

I don't know DPD but with mondial relai you can ship a 3 kilos package from Belgium to France for 6.60 euros, which is cheaper than shipping to the Netherlands.

If France is excluded because people are not aware of shipping options, that is a pity.

I’m aware of mondial relai. Their service is terrible and unusable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior A
France
flag msg tools
Kwakkie wrote:
Badigel wrote:
Kwakkie wrote:
Badigel wrote:

It was terrible. Nowadays it is excellent and better than the French post service which is Colissimo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Badigel wrote:
Kwakkie wrote:
Badigel wrote:
Kwakkie wrote:
Badigel wrote:

It was terrible. Nowadays it is excellent and better than the French post service which is Colissimo.

No, Mondial Relay is still terrible - the tracking only works if you go to the French language page of it and tracking also does not work if there's a blank in the postal code, as is the case with the UK Postal Codes.

In addition 95% of the people participating in the Benelux math trade are Dutch speakers and mostly don't want a French version by accident, which is guaranteed to happen, causing frustration. Been there, done that, been trying for years to get rid of it again - nobody wants it.

On top of that, sending a package from the Netherlands to France, by whatever courier service, is more expensive, so including France would drive a lot of Dutch gamers away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nancy M.
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Badigel wrote:

I am aware of the shipping options. I already used Mondial Relay before but only through the French version since the Dutch website has some issues like Eddy said. Also Mondial Relay is not available in the Netherlands.

In the past people from outside the Benelux were allowed to join in the math trade and none of them got any trade. Each time there were discussions about it and I had to reassure worried participants that they didn't have to ship outside the Benelux if they didn't want to. To save me some time and keep it simple I added the new rule.

This will be my last message about this subject.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jelle Gommers
Belgium
Herentals
Other (Non U.S.)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really hope to get some trades, would be amazing. Think I offered some nice games.
I think DPD is the best and cheapest shipping option within Benelux? Bpost in Belgium is also decent.
If anyone has other tips for shipping (or where to get boxes), pls let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tip : Boxes : supermarkets and the local charity shop (kringwinkel) always seem to have some they want to get rid off

Tip : when I contact somebody after a trade I immediately list my pick-up points for the various parcel sending services - example :

"DHL parcel : AD Delhaize 1851 Humbeek
Mondial Relay : In Side Out 1851 Humbeek
DPD Web parcel : In Side Out 1851 Humbeek
Kiala / UPS : Roosemarijn 1980 Zemst"

Makes it a lot easier for the sender to make his label immediatly.

Tip : when you use DHL to send a parcel from Belgium to the Netherlands, it does NOT show up on the DHL tracking website until the package is already in The Netherlands. If you want to have info on it before that, you have to use the BPost tracker. That's because the first part of the routing is handled by BPost - this info is probably double-extra super-secret classified because it's not mentioned anywhere on their website.

Tip : do not use BPost. They have the least convenient opening hours for picking up a package and are usually in locations without parking opportunity. As a recipient I'd thank you for not using it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nancy M.
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience with BPost is different: it's my preferred shipping option inside Belgium. Maybe I am spoiled: my post office has enough parking and decent opening hours. Most of the packages are delivered to another pick up point within 24 hours. Although I prefer to use BPost I have no problem to use other shipping services.

Shipping from Belgium to Luxembourg is cheaper with Mondial Relay. It costs 3,75 euro. If you use Mondial Relay, use the French website.

If you live near the border with the Netherlands you can ship to the Netherlands from a Dutch DPD point for 4 euro. You need to register the parcel on the Dutch website and pay with credit card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jelle Gommers
Belgium
Herentals
Other (Non U.S.)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the hints Eddy and Nancy
For me personally the bpost is good but if the receiver doesn't want this I'll use something else

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viggo of Orange
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question; it is my first mathtrade. Do I have to fill in an amount to my games and wishlist?

Kan ik de waardes op 0 laten staan of moet dit?

Thanks Viggo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.