Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Aikens
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

We talk about a mechanism maybe not thought of too much, but let us know what your favorite point to point movement game is!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lewis & Clark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreu P.
Spain
Barcelona
Catalonia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Voyages of Marco Polo! orangecamelorangecamel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gregory rivera
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
100 + Scythe Victories Club-Founding Member
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Western Trail

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/193738/great-western-tra...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Aikens
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarkVaati wrote:
I considered putting this on my list but I only played once and I don’t remember it standing out too much. I definitely want to give it another try though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a whole bunch of wargames that use point-to-point movement. Wilderness War, Paths of Glory, For the People, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Henley
United States
Hopkinton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Merchant of Venus -- like some of the games mentioned above, point-to-point movement is only part of the game, but how it's handled is unusual and fits the game very well.

Perry Rhodan: The Cosmic League represent the relative cost of moving inward and outward in a solar system in a truly elegant way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scottgun wrote:
There's a whole bunch of wargames that use point-to-point movement. Wilderness War, Paths of Glory, For the People, etc.

And I would add A House Divided.

Among non-wargames, I would add the Pandemic family of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Maria/Friedrich, many CDG wargames (Unhappy King Charles is the most recent I played that was really good) - I prefer them over hex maps (not intended to start an argument).

For non-wargames, I’m not sure how to even define them. Pandemic family is a good choice. What else counts? I wouldn’t consider Merchant of Venus point-to-point - it’s linear paths with branching. Does Crayon Rails count - it’s literally drawing point-to-point? But it’s really a hex map. How about Racetrack?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MLeis
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Point to point movement is a graphic design choice. It is not a mechanism because mechanically, there is no difference between point to point movement and area movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fielmann wrote:
Point to point movement is a graphic design choice. It is not a mechanism because mechanically, there is no difference between point to point movement and area movement.

Point to point locations that are connected do not need to be physically adjacent to each other like most areas do.

Look at point to point wargame maps, which are much more complex than point to point euro boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:
Fielmann wrote:

Point to point locations that are connected do not need to be physically adjacent to each other like most areas do.

Look at point to point wargame maps, which are much more complex than point to point euro boards.

Right. I haven't played Pandemic in a while, but I recall significant strategy considerations around the point-to-point arrangement that couldn't be recreated with area movement. Same with Ticket to Ride if you consider building train lines movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
They are all similar, but I consider areas and hexes and grids to fundamentally be subsets of point-to-point. PtP gives a designer the most flexibility in how to limit or expand movement options, at the cost of potentially making a very cluttered-looking map. PtP also lends itself to modifying battles and movement based on the terrain of the connecting line rather than the terrain of where you’re standing, which leads to maps that look more abstract. But I tend to like the look of these abstract maps for gaming purposes over area or hex maps because of the stark contrast between a beautiful terrain map overlain with arbitrary lines.

So for land movement, I like PtP best but it’s more fitting when you are simulating roads or trains. For sea or space movement where direction and distance are more fluid, I think area movement seems more fitting, but in working on a Britannia variant I have been frustrated by how to model sea movement realistically while still forcing historical landings and crossings, which a mixture of adjusting sea areas and PtP straits. The area lines can feel very gamey, where if you’re on a coastal area near a line you can sail far in one direction but not far at all in the other direction. Coastal sea vs open sea areas is probably better but necessitates more complex movement rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Marl
United States
Pissburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldritch Horror
Julius Caesar
Wilderness War

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here I Stand (500th Anniversary Reprint Edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gilbertson
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lacreighton wrote:

... ditto
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.