Mythic Battles: Pantheon» Forums » General

Subject: My first 3 player FFA skirmish rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dominick Piantoni
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
So I've been mostly playing 1v1 Skirmish battles and last night I had the opportunity to get involved with a 3 player FFA.

The game consisted of myself (Player 3), my friend who has played twice before (Player 2), and a newcomer popping his MBP cherry (Player 1).

As a general rule of thumb I don't snake draft with newcomers. They get first choice of god and first choice of unit troop for the remaining army.
(It gives the impression that I'm giving them an edge but my knowledge of the units in the drafting process actually benefits me more so I can counter their choices, so it's a win-win).

PLAYER 1 army: newly added HERMES, Hydra, Leonidas, Atalanta, and Spartans
PLAYER 2 army: newly added APHRODITE, Minotaur, Medusa, Odysseus
PLAYER 3 army: Zeus, newly added ARACHNE (with GIANT SPIDERS), Achilles, Hellhounds and 2 Omphalos cards to round out my RP leftover points

Player 2 started the game, followed by Player 1, and I took last turn.

It became a berry race. Player 2 got off to a hot start and was gathering omphalos quicker while Player 1 and Player 3 were battling for the omphalos on the one side of the map.

Player 2 had gathered his army around 4 omphalos, absorbing 3 and just needing an Aphrodite activation for the win.

Player 3 had a good foothold on 4 omphalos for himself (1 absorbed, 3 claimed), that is until Player 1 activated his Hydra's onslaught and managed to attack all of Player 3's army. He blasted the hell hounds hard, and mighty threw them off an omphalos. He got Achilles with a mighty throw and threw him off an omphalos. He missed Zeus. He blasted the giant spiders and hit a mighty throw, which lead to a hit on Arachne but no mighty throw.

Player 1 having absorbed 2 omphalos prior to the Hydra's attack utilized Hermes movement swooping in and absorbing a third omphalos. His successful Hydra attack as well as Hermes' celerity allowed him to move in on the 4th omphalos and claim it. With a solid manueavre he searched for Hermes and activated FOR THE WIN. Player 2 sits in disbelief, with victory at his fingertips, prior card draws left him with zero AoW cards and a bad deck shuffle left Aphrodite at the bottom of the pile. Player 3 sits and basks in the glory of this game and relishes about just how great this game is (Player 3 being me and being stoked for awesome matches, not really caring about getting W's).

All in all it was a great game. A first time player achieved victory which was fun to witness and my other buddy is still hungry for his first W.

I love this game and everyone who plays this game seems to love it as well, minus my one buddy (my unplugged gaming buddy of all people), who has arbitrary non sense guidelines that if a game can't finish a match in 30 minutes he doesn't like the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Castro
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the fun battle report read. I too find myself feeling quite clever when playing against my wife, just to have her Ares (cherry collector) utterly outpace my Athena army. Clearly I am not as clever as I though, but it didn't matter. She had a good time wining the match and I too had a great time thanks to the cinematic stories of conflict and cunning the game routinely deals out. Happy gaming. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Arking
United States
Potomac
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
So how did you convert your last two RPs to omphalos cards? Where there no troops left? Per the rules, you can only convert RPs to omphalos when you can't afford any more units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.