8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Packaging rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy C
msg tools
Hello everyone,

I have been lurking on these forums for a little bit and finally decided to make a post.

I have been developing a party card game for a bit now and am moving from the design phase to self publishing. While looking at different printing options and costs I found myself asking the question, If i am mailing my own games out to consumers is it worth the extra cost however small to shrink wrap the box? Even if i save 20 cents per item it can add up to a decent savings in production cost.

As avid game consumers, would it put you off if a game you ordered online did not come shrink wrapped?

On a side note, would specialty packaging increase the likelihood of you giving a game from an unknown publisher a shot? For instance, having the game boxed in a metal tin rather than a cardboard box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BaxterStudios wrote:

As avid game consumers, would it put you off if a game you ordered online did not come shrink wrapped?

put off? no. Concerned? yes.
I don't think I'm alone in being someone who has come home on a rainy day to see a package that is soaked through the box.
Quote:

On a side note, would specialty packaging increase the likelihood of you giving a game from an unknown publisher a shot? For instance, having the game boxed in a metal tin rather than a cardboard box.

eh, no. I only respond to specialty boxes when I know the game, I'm a huge fan, and I want a deluxe edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kline
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Others can correct me here - but I believe the general consensus is unfavorable toward special packaging like tins: Many people have space constraint issues (including brick and mortar stores) and metal tins don't stack nice with other games in cardboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willett
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spaff_ wrote:
Others can correct me here - but I believe the general consensus is unfavorable toward special packaging like tins: Many people have space constraint issues (including brick and mortar stores) and metal tins don't stack nice with other games in cardboard.

This is my thought. If you wanted to foil gloss some of the print that might help, but don't do a tin. I would go for a standard size product that people will find a good home for. Depending on the size of your card game you could approach various ways. My preferred box types for card games, though, are Tichu for the closeable two deck stack approach, or Exploding Kittens magnet latch flip top type. If you are cutting costs, you probably would avoid the magnet one though.

On another note, I found Exploding Kittens at Target without shrinkwrap. I was surprised (and maybe it was being removed by a jerk/idiot), but it seemed to work for them?

Depending on *how* you are shipping them, my answer on shrink could change too. If you are using the padded bubble mailers and they are water-tight, then I'd be alright with it. Soggy boxes are worrisome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BaxterStudios wrote:
Hello everyone,

I have been lurking on these forums for a little bit and finally decided to make a post.

I have been developing a party card game for a bit now and am moving from the design phase to self publishing. While looking at different printing options and costs I found myself asking the question, If i am mailing my own games out to consumers is it worth the extra cost however small to shrink wrap the box? Even if i save 20 cents per item it can add up to a decent savings in production cost.

I don't think shrink is necessary, but I immediately look to verify contents when I receive something not in shrink.

As for your side note - no. No. NO. NO! A thousand time NO!!! In fact, I want the opposite - I want games that don't even try to go with a normal rectangular box of a non-normal size - I want them standardized as much as possible. The boardgaming hobby would be well served by all publishers agreeing to use a set of standard box sizes (at least height and width - depth doesn't matter as much).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BaxterStudios wrote:
Hello everyone,

Shrink tells me it left the factory and arrived at my door the same way.
Shrink gives me confidence.
Shrink makes it less likely that a little rain will destroy the game.

Quote:

I am less likely to purchase a game that comes in non-standard non-cardboard non-perfect-rectangular-solid packaging.

Tins dent. Tins don't stack. Tins usually have terrible lids and require something to secure the system.

Bags damage components within. Bags don't stack. Bags should not be considered a good packing medium.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy C
msg tools
mafman6 wrote:
BaxterStudios wrote:

put off? no. Concerned? yes.
I don't think I'm alone in being someone who has come home on a rainy day to see a package that is soaked through the box.
Quote:

eh, no. I only respond to specialty boxes when I know the game, I'm a huge fan, and I want a deluxe edition.

I had considered weather damage. Thank you for pointing that out. It would be bad business to risk damaging product to save a dime. The last thing I want is to ruin my reputation on the first batch lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy C
msg tools
It seems like the general consensus that tins are a bad idea.

If you all want some history, One of the games in my future line up revolves around the buying and selling of weed (I know some people might be angered by the theme, but its still a work in progress) I had verified all the mechanics through alpha testing and started the art work when my wife made the comment to me that when she was young and foolish her and her friends stored their weed in altoid boxes. I thought it might have been a fun idea to mimic that behavior with a game box.

I wasnt sold on the idea, and after reading the responses i will stick with a standard size box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.