Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Wiley
United States
Waukee
IA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend and I play the Lord of the Rings LCG together on a fairly regular basis. We both enjoy Tolkien's world and I want to expand the games I've played in Middle-Earth. This is one high on my list of games I am interested in. I could see myself wanting to eventually collect this one, once I get caught up on the Lord of the Rings LCG.

So I am curious as to what the most cost-effective way to try the game out would be, with just the two of us. I assume a pair of Challenge packs, since a set of Commons from the Wizard cycle wouldn't be effective in making two decks?

Ideally, I'd love it if someone local had a pair of decks we could borrow for a few weeks to learn and try out the game. But I figure the odds of that are relatively slim. However, if there is someone in the Des Moines area who has the game and would be willing to loan, or at least teach, the game I'd be very grateful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare B
msg tools
Yes, the Challenge Decks are an excellent place to start, as you get a precon, without any of the effort of deck building! All other things being equal, I'd suggest you try to get hold of Challenge Deck D as it contains a copy of Assassin which, if you get into the game, you will definitely want three of.

One of the good things about MECCG, however, is how easy it is to build a good deck without any expensive rares. Here is one using only commons and uncommons:

http://forum.councilofelrond.org/viewtopic.php?f=128&t=1431

I'd offer to lend you some stuff but I'm in the UK so it would be cheaper to buy them...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tressler
United States
New Castle
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
As Clare already mentioned, the challenge decks are an excellent way to get a taste of the game and decide whether you really want to get into it.

I have to be honest, this isn't a great time to get into the game if you're a completionist. It's going to be difficult and expensive to get a full set. But if you can control those impulses, it's a great game and well worth playing.

I don't have any extra challenge decks for you, but I've only recently completed my own collection and I have a bunch of extra commons and uncommons. If you PM me your address I can send you a package - I don't have any use for the extras and you can have a lot of fun with them if you like the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.