Hide
21 Posts

Western Legends» Forums » General

Subject: Choosing the alternative Bandits in Western Legends rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roy Green
msg tools
Now that each of the new bandits will have one of six random ability/ effects, will a D6 be included in the game?

(Just wondering as I am sure most gamers would have one or two kicking about)

Looks like a great game btw can't wait for it to arrive.

Furnico
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Montclair
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the plan is that each bandit type has an associated numbered base. That way the gambler uses the gambler actions, the horse thief uses the horse thief actions, etc.

P.S. Two D6s are included in the game. They are used for mining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KoalaXav wrote:
I think the plan is that each bandit type has an associated numbered base. That way the gambler uses the gambler actions, the horse thief uses the horse thief actions, etc.

P.S. Two D6s are included in the game. They are used for mining.

To clarify, the six-sided die don't have conventional numbers on them.

We will not be including a d6. It doesn't matter where the bandits go when you spawn them. The bandit card variants iterates in such a way that it is unpredictable, so this is not a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Green
msg tools
Ah I see now, thanks Clinton!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Green
msg tools
Actually, I don't see blush

The card I saw had six possible outcomes, number 3 if I recall was the bandit quotes something (ie nothing happened)but how do you know which of the outcomes is triggered, or is it as Clinton says dependent on the bandit mini that is up next?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Montclair
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
furnico wrote:

The card I saw had six possible outcomes, number 3 if I recall was the bandit quotes something (ie nothing happened)but how do you know which of the outcomes is triggered, or is it as Clinton says dependent on the bandit mini that is up next?

Each bandit mini is numbered. If you enter the bandit hideout with bandit 4, you draw a card and check the effect for number four. If it's a quote (each card has a quote for one bandit. Each bandit gets a quote) then you lucked out and there is no game effect for that fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you fight the Bandit, you draw a card. If you're fighting Bandit #4, then the #4 line of the card is the only thing that applies.

So the Horse Thief is #6. All the #6 entries on all the cards pertain to the Horse Thief.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KoalaXav wrote:
furnico wrote:

Each bandit mini is numbered. If you enter the bandit hideout with bandit 4, you draw a card and check the effect for number four. If it's a quote (each card has a quote for one bandit. Each bandit gets a quote) then you lucked out and there is no game effect for that fight.

I read some of them, and sometimes the game effect could benefit you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Montclair
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrsuitcase wrote:
KoalaXav wrote:
furnico wrote:

I read some of them, and sometimes the game effect could benefit you!

True. Each bandit has the same ratio of positive, negative and neutral effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Green
msg tools
Thanks guys
I think I was being a bit dim!
That has cleared it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
furnico wrote:
Thanks guys
I think I was being a bit dim!
That has cleared it up.

No. We're gamers. We're trained to look at a list of 6 items and instinctively start rolling a die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United Kingdom
Keighley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How does one decide which bandit to spawn when one draws the relevant card?

Is this the spawning player's choice, or is it random?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim RTC wrote:
How does one decide which bandit to spawn when one draws the relevant card?

Is this the spawning player's choice, or is it random?

Just pick one and place it. Doesn't matter which you put where at all. Players have no way to impact the bandit cards. The bandit cards have iterated abilities, some of which are good, some of which are bad, all of which are balanced against one another. One could, if they like, use a d6 to choose which to spawn where, though that would certainly add time to the game for little benefit, if any.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Montclair
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just grab one that's available. I also considered this issue.

One thing I'm thinking of trying is laying bandits down rather than removing them from the board. Then when they respawn, just stand them up again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only factor is, if you know what the 1/6 cool ability is IF you beat the bandit, you could choose to place that. But again, 1/6 chance of drawing, then you need to beat the bandit.

Alas, this was a last minute addition for fans. Given the time constraint, it's dang fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Montclair
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Possibilities you could elect to use in your own game if "just grab one" isn't good enough.

1. Let the active player decide.
2. Let the player with the most Wanted points decide.
3. Line up all unused bandit minis. Spawn the first in line. Removed bandits go to the end of the line.
4. Spawn the bandit that had a quote on the last played bandit card. If already on the board, proceed incrementally (so if the quote is on 4, first choice is 4, then 5, then 6, then 1...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United Kingdom
Keighley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd just let the player who drew the card get to choose, easiest way to avoid any problems or extra chrome.

I didn't realise the bandits were balanced, so it doesn't really make any difference.

I certainly intend to play with the variant though, it looks like a great little idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
endofturn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, this keeps coming to mind. If there are three bandits off the board and you are going to place 1, the marshal next to the empty camp if they have a mount will prefer that the horse thief not be put there. I guess you could say "On a 1-2, we'll spawn this one, on a 3-4 we'll spawn this one, on a 5-6 we'll spawn this one" and roll a d6 to decide randomly.

I am just going to put in a Tiny Epic Western bullet die and roll for effects 1-6 on the bandit cards for each battle. I get that it is cool to say "That's the gambler bandit! I'm going after him!" but in the long run I think the choosing how to place bandits where would be more problematic for us.

I'm comfortable with just random effects going off for any given bandit. PLUS I get to use a bullet die so win-win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggested in the rules in the expansion that the active player chooses which to place--just makes it easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Frag
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KoalaXav wrote:
Possibilities you could elect to use in your own game if "just grab one" isn't good enough.

3. Line up all unused bandit minis. Spawn the first in line. Removed bandits go to the end of the line.
4. Spawn the bandit that had a quote on the last played bandit card. If already on the board, proceed incrementally (so if the quote is on 4, first choice is 4, then 5, then 6, then 1...)

I was thinking option 3 sounds the best. Random line and spawn from the front of the line, simple, removes AP and delays caused by those trying to rely on memory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
afrag wrote:
KoalaXav wrote:

I was thinking option 3 sounds the best. Random line and spawn from the front of the line, simple, removes AP and delays caused by those trying to rely on memory.

The interesting aspect of the discussion is that it ends up being a case of preference. Specifically, player advocacy versus theme. At least to a point.

Allowing a player to chose from options is usually a good game choice. This is especially the case when the choices are meaningful. In the case of choosing bandits, however, I don't know if selecting a bandit to spawn is thematic (although it could be argued that certain heroes would "attract" certain bandits).

Randomness is also, as you point out, the more expedient. But one could argue, that since the point of playing a game is to enjoy the experience, and not merely to "get it over with", what's the harm in letting players take a few seconds to choose their favorite bandit?

All of that is to say, I will likely play with the "official" rules first (I always presume the developer has reasons for their choices) - then change them later if I prefer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.