Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hi designers,

I've been considering lately how one would go about making a board game that is also massively multiplayer. Obviously some app or website would be required, but you'd also want to make sure the board game was the most important part of the game, otherwise it'll just turn into a video game.

I thought maybe you could make a game where the app handles interaction, and maybe generates quests?

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan OSullivan
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about if opening board state is set by global conditions and then influenced by the conclusion of the game.

Could also have an economy using something similar?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lowen
United States
Fallbrook
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This reminds me a little of Diplomacy... People playing “offline”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charalampos Tsakiris
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rynet wrote:
What about if opening board state is set by global conditions and then influenced by the conclusion of the game.

Ι very much like this idea...

Positives:
New and Exciting to know that there is a global interactive community.

Negatives:
Spend a lot of time in design and development to make sure the game is top notch, a mediocre game from a good idea might ruin it.

Opportunities:
Make a Global Legacy system - Introducing new mechanisms as parts of "mini games" (my idea on the shelf for quite some time) and a lot of storyline moments that might be affected globally (that might require a lot of non automated handling (?)...

Threats:
People messing up with the system, inputting invalid information eg, someone might not play the game, ut uses whichever end game statistics feels like, just to have fun. You need to have a system in place to prevent false input in the Global Database...

---

Overall, i can see that one person alone might have difficulty in delivery. If you are going to create this and bring it to a global scale you might want to partner (whynot globaly) with other designers ?
I think this is a wonderful idea but still an idea, it needs to be structured properly to be presentable and "pitchable" to playtesters/other designers to help you/etc...

Good job on thinking creatively !!!
Don't put that project behind, i think there is a bright future for it...!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A few RPGs have done this.

2nd ed D&D had Tavens Bluff setting which was one of their "living" serttings. Also there was the Living Greyhawk and some others. Special Events happening at conventions could have an impact on the setting.

Another was TORG which had con events that the outcomes would impact the setting.

A few others have tried that too.

This is also similar to how some players use systems like Cyberboard to play board games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fynn
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmb
Charalampos Tsakiris wrote:
rynet wrote:

Ι very much like this idea...

Positives:
New and Exciting to know that there is a global interactive community.

Negatives:
Spend a lot of time in design and development to make sure the game is top notch, a mediocre game from a good idea might ruin it.

Opportunities:
Make a Global Legacy system - Introducing new mechanisms as parts of "mini games" (my idea on the shelf for quite some time) and a lot of storyline moments that might be affected globally (that might require a lot of non automated handling (?)...

Threats:
People messing up with the system, inputting invalid information eg, someone might not play the game, ut uses whichever end game statistics feels like, just to have fun. You need to have a system in place to prevent false input in the Global Database...

---

Overall, i can see that one person alone might have difficulty in delivery. If you are going to create this and bring it to a global scale you might want to partner (whynot globaly) with other designers ?
I think this is a wonderful idea but still an idea, it needs to be structured properly to be presentable and "pitchable" to playtesters/other designers to help you/etc...

Good job on thinking creatively !!!
Don't put that project behind, i think there is a bright future for it...!!!!

I agree I would need other people, I can't program very well anymore, so I'd need someone with game programming experience.

Those are good points with your SWOT chart (Strengths/Weaknesses/Opportunities/Threats), especially with Threats. I've already been considering how to do that, but I'm not really sure how you'd go about it.

It would also be very helpful if the developers could add quests/missions/scenarios with just the app, so that there can constantly be new quests to play.

I'm currently thinking one of:

A Fantasy Dungeon Crawl (a bit done to death though),
A Spaceship war over an entire galaxy (dividing all players into 1 of 2-3 factions),
or something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fynn
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmb
Another thing that could be cool would be player-created enemies, which could be summoned for a certain amount of currency, whatever that ends up as. The players would just be making a new enemy and adding abilities to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure how many of these are out there. but there are a few PC games from the early years that allowed players to build and pit their creations against other players maps or creations. Omega comes to mind right off.

Also there was SSI's Unlimited Adventures adventure design engine that allowed you to make gold box style games and share them. Theres a huge archive of modules and sprites.

DragonElves was another odd idea. A printable card game that was also customizable. Your own stats and art.

And the ill fated SuperDudes had cards based on the online players characters.

and I guess Xevoz moght fall into that area too in a way.

Lots of different approaches and this isnt even touching on RPGs where people create and share alot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.