Subject: It must be rare for routed units to reorganize? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Easy Alias
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since units which rout must spend 4 MP to turn and retreat, immediately; and since they must likewise run in every subsequent turn; and since they can reorganize only if with, or adjacent to, a leader; and since leaders move no faster than routing units; then it must be rare for the routed units to reorganize, correct? I suppose that for the Normans, Bishop Odo could head south of the morasses and hope to catch a few units before they exit the map -- ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger miller
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
If you position your leaders in the rear, expecting a rout, you can get some rallied. Odo is good for it. Harold for the Saxons since you do not want to lose like I do getting him killed on the verge of victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Easy Alias
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. And since units stop when they hit the morasses, and apparently can advance only one morass hex per turn thereafter, that gives Odo a bit more time to move laterally through the clear to catch them -- let me know if I'm missing anything there.

Received the game a few days ago and am really enjoying it so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger miller
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
You got it. Morass helps some. But once large portions of your army are routing things are bad and the enemy better be in the same shape or battle is probably lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, thanks for the supporting the game, I hope it plays well for you.

The routing rule was very deliberately meant to be punitive and pretty decisive. I felt that once groups broke and lost their nerve, then they fled and it should be difficult to expect them to return to get back into the line and fight normally (I dislike the prospect of 'rubber routers').

Secondly, I wanted the system to show the very thing of an army breaking down with rout starting at specific local points and that a deteriorating situation means that rout becomes more likely and wide-spread, until a situation is reached that it is clear that the army is breaking (from rout and loss).

This and the shallow nature of the battlefield means that routing units are not on the map for long (i.e. the local battlefield) until they are lost for good.

Bishop Odo historically was at the rear of the army and he did stop some routers and so in the game, this is his pure function, but note with this bit of chrome, Odo can only be used ONCE and when used, the best he can do is rally two units at the same time. Once he does this single act, he is removed from play. He has the best chance of being effective when / if routers get caught in the morass.

Typically, the game in its later turns has both armies feeling they need just one more turn to get the upper hand and as you see your troops starting to stream off to the rear, there is a sense that one needs to get on with it and win before you lose! I quite like the emotional engagement with the game that this combination of routing, deteriorating situation and a glimpse of possible victory brings (not always, but it is a general feature of the game).

Hastings starts out as a bit of a slow burner, initially that grind up the hill can feel like the game is going nowhere and then suddenly all those small little actions accumulate into a dynamic and much more decisive action and the routing rules are very much part of that development of the battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.