Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Wanted to make people aware that there's a Shipwreck Arcana FAQ on the Meromorph Games site. We've been seeing some great questions in this forum, some of which may already be addressed in the FAQ. Any that aren't will certainly get added!

So please, keep the questions coming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bishop
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
The FAQ page has now been spun off into 3 separate pages: the base FAQ for general questions, as well as a page for every card and a page for every faded power. This captures all of the individual card questions that used to live on the FAQ page, but also hits on all the cards that we originally teemed "too simple" to warrant FAQ blurbs.

All 3 pages are still easily available from the base FAQ page; it has links to the cards and powers pages (you can also find them in the site's nav bar now).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Shelley
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in. - Unknown
mbmbmbmbmb
tosx wrote:
Wanted to make people aware that there's a Shipwreck Arcana FAQ on the Meromorph Games site. We've been seeing some great questions in this forum, some of which may already be addressed in the FAQ. Any that aren't will certainly get added!

So please, keep the questions coming.

Is it possible to get the FAQ as a PDF in the files section here at BBG?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
While obviously anyone is welcome to make their own version and upload it, we're not planning to do any sort of official PDF (at least not in the near future) as I expect the FAQ will continue to grow and improve as we see questions and sticking points. Trying to keep a PDF up to date would be difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malachi Brown
United States
Hermitage
TN
flag msg tools
It's turtles all the way down.
badge
“Questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself.”
mbmbmbmbmb
This is what automation is for. I currently have an upload pending. Once it is approved, I will upload a couple of other formats (A4, print).

In case anyone wants to do this themselves, or if I don't keep the file up to date here, I just installed wkhtmltopdf, saved each of the FAQ pages locally (with Chrome, including images) (NB: make sure to take out the long dash in the filename before you save it.), then I wrote a .bat file to run the following:

"c:\Program Files\wkhtmltopdf\bin\wkhtmltopdf.exe" --page-size Letter --header-left [isodate] --header-center "The Shipwreck Arcana FAQ" --header-right "[page]/[topage]" --margin-top 2cm --header-line "FAQ Meromorph Games.html" "Cards Meromorph Games.html" "Powers Meromorph Games.html" TheShipwreckArcanaFAQ-letter.pdf

"c:\Program Files\wkhtmltopdf\bin\wkhtmltopdf.exe" --page-size Letter --header-left [isodate] --header-center "The Shipwreck Arcana FAQ" --header-right "[page]/[topage]" --margin-top 2cm --header-line --print-media-type "FAQ Meromorph Games.html" "Cards Meromorph Games.html" "Powers Meromorph Games.html" TheShipwreckArcanaFAQ-letter-print.pdf

"c:\Program Files\wkhtmltopdf\bin\wkhtmltopdf.exe" --page-size A4 --header-left [isodate] --header-center "The Shipwreck Arcana FAQ" --header-right "[page]/[topage]" --margin-top 2cm --header-line "FAQ Meromorph Games.html" "Cards Meromorph Games.html" "Powers Meromorph Games.html" TheShipwreckArcanaFAQ-A4.pdf

"c:\Program Files\wkhtmltopdf\bin\wkhtmltopdf.exe" --page-size A4 --header-left [isodate] --header-center "The Shipwreck Arcana FAQ" --header-right "[page]/[topage]" --margin-top 2cm --header-line --print-media-type "FAQ Meromorph Games.html" "Cards Meromorph Games.html" "Powers Meromorph Games.html" TheShipwreckArcanaFAQ-A4-print.pdf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Malachi wrote:
This is what automation is for.
This is what awesome people on BGG are for surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malachi Brown
United States
Hermitage
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Shipwreck Arcana FAQ

I have uploaded A4 and more print friendly versions of both letter sized and A4 and they are awaiting approval.

These are not the prettiest files possible. There is still plenty of room for either improving the output of the automated process or for someone who wants to spend the time to manually format everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malachi Brown
United States
Hermitage
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, someone more ambitious than I am today could probably fairly easily set up a scheduled task or cron job to use a tool like wget to download the FAQ pages every day, check to see if there are changes, and automatically generate the PDFs. Not sure how easy it would be to automate uploading a new version of the files to BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.