Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I am saddened by these cards as it seems like a great game; however, the foil character cards on my set were printed such that the cards are convex where the normal cards are concave. This means it's nearly impossible to shuffle and it's also blatantly obvious where they are. This is after a month of trying to flatten them:

Is this something particular with my set or does the print run have that problem? Does anyone know if this is going to be fixed with the new Exceed packs?

And, yes, I have tried sleeving them and the cards are stronger than the sleeves and maintain their bend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a known issue. The designer is well aware and I am confident he will make sure it doesn't happen again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CharlieX3 wrote:
It's a known issue. The designer is well aware and I am confident he will make sure it doesn't happen again.

Great. Yeah, it pretty much takes any desire to play the game. Hopefully 7th Cross turns out great as I am loving the art on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
Coren wrote:
CharlieX3 wrote:

Great. Yeah, it pretty much takes any desire to play the game. Hopefully 7th Cross turns out great as I am loving the art on that.
My storage solution was to place the decks in layers between cardboard in the Yomi Round 1 and 2 boxes with the rule books. The bend has gone away now. I was really bummed they stood out, but I love Exceed so much I still play it anyway.

Ummm when can I have Season 2?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron I
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As has been mentioned, this is a known issue and is due to the foil side of the card reacting to moisture differently than the non-foil side. Like you said, the game is literally unplayable out of the box, which is really disappointing. The best solution I have found is to sleeve the cards in color-backed sleeves, preferably with a darker color like blue or black. The darker shades help further conceal the differences in shape among the cards. I know you said you didn't have success with this, but I've found sleeves definitely help to tame the cards. And once I had them sleeved, I found great success in going through the foils one by one and counter-bending them by hand.

It seems that this was a big misstep and something that should have been caught at the product screening stage. However, Exceed is good enough a game that I'm not adverse to sucking up the extra cost of some color-backed sleeves in order to keep the game on my table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Van Laningham
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have said, we are well aware of the issue present on foils in Season 1 and have taken precautions to ensure the foils in Season 2 are of higher quality and more resistant to warping. Apologies for any inconvenience with Season 1. I'd recommend sleeving the cards as others suggested to minimize foil warping effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ithry wrote:
As others have said, we are well aware of the issue present on foils in Season 1 and have taken precautions to ensure the foils in Season 2 are of higher quality and more resistant to warping. Apologies for any inconvenience with Season 1. I'd recommend sleeving the cards as others suggested to minimize foil warping effects.

Glad to know that. I know it's a bummer for you, too. Great game, so I know it's not fun when things like this overshadow it.

FWIW, I've had those cards in sleeves for two months now. I removed them the day I took the picture because I felt it was useless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Talton
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻
mbmbmbmbmb
I can confirm that the foils in Season 2 do not have this problem, as we received the proof copies earlier this week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls