Nemesis» Forums » General

Subject: Is this game becoming too easy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Wilson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played the demo 1 player version on TTS (TableTop Simulator), I am worried as to how easy the game can be won. While I understand that singleplayer games tend to be a lot different than when playing with others, with the further add-on of turrets I feel that taking care of aliens will be too easy.

To take a personal example, in my first game, my objective was a fairly simple making sure 2 engines were working and then guaranteeing that the coordinates were for Earth. Fairly simple, and it was felt easy for me to check on the statuses of 2 engines; no Aliens popping up so far. I pass the hibernation chamber into another room and then BANG the Alien appears. I use suppresion fire and then calmly walk into another room. A few aliens popped up in my rooms, but I had enough cards to counter the panic cards and suppresion fire easily helped. My game finished with a Light Wound and all Objectives completed.

I am not saying that this is a bad game-on the contrary, even though the Canadian version is expensive as hell (about 150$ with shipping), the game itself with the stretch goals are worth it and I'll just have to deal with less in my bank account . But just the lack of any challenge against aliens chasing you (aliens can attack you as you leave a room but suppresion fire basically ignores that) with the addition of Turrets makes me thing that I'll having no problem beating this game repeatedly. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D H
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In a higher player count it would be reasonable to assume that one person has a task to sabotage the engines. The difficulty would be to pin down that person and stop him/her from doing that. Maybe you want to check the engines by yourself, but do you have time to fix engines and coordinates?

A other player maybe has an objective to kill you so you have to watch out for that as well.

The difficulty part is reading the other players plan and analyze if it will benefit or dis-benefit you. There will be a lot of mind games in Nemesis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Trivellato
Italy
Padova
PD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
yes, maybe 1 player game is not so representative, but did you remember you can back into Hibernatorium chamber with only less than 6 round left?
In my experiece (3 player games) the game can run smooth and suddendly falling to hell in a single/couple rounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Wilson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anachron wrote:
yes, maybe 1 player game is not so representative, but did you remember you can back into Hibernatorium chamber with only less than 6 round left?
In my experiece (3 player games) the game can run smooth and suddendly falling to hell in a single/couple rounds.

ahhh... Thanks for that laugh Where can you find it in the manual?

I admit that having more players will help the intrigue/suspense part of gameplay, but again I say that I worry about the Turrets. We should be afraid of the aliens and I feel like more weapons would make the experience a lot less exciting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like a game that's going to play different with more players. In addition to more noise which should mean more aliens, there's also the problem of someone being a traitor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vojtas
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@OP

Single player mode wasn't properly tested yet, so basically it doesn't tell much about the game itself. IMO single player has sense only in full co-op mode, where you can choose few characters and play them all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Domenic
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Would you ever really want to see an angel?
mbmbmbmbmb
SoloGamer75 wrote:
This is the reason I first backed the game, but in the end canceled the pledge.
Being a solo gamer I wanna be sure that the game has plenty of replayability and especially tactical requirement (which is far more important than story and atmosphere, for me).

With Nemesis I believe there comes a great multiplayer game to the market, but I really think that it’s not more and less than this - a multiplayer game.

I think there will be plenty of easy-to-make adjustments to change the game difficulty. You won easily? Try again starting with a light wound. Or change the mix of intruder tokens so that you'll have to deal with harder battles. Or tweak the noise rules so that more noise tokens are placed. Or make turrets off-limits. Or take more turns before going into hibernation.

That said, I suspect there are better tactical games out there. This one is clearly pushing for theme, emphasizing having interesting things happen over being able to predict the results of your choices with a high degree of certainty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Hale
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Meisterjäger
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, The game really shined with 4 players on TTS, but seems to be a boring solo experience to me. If it had a solo story campaign with some sort of varying alien objectives that hinder your own, maybe a different alien a.i. deck,it might be more interesting.

It might just be me, but I wish there was a cardboard standee option. The miniatures are very nice, but really like the artwork and think the game would be better with standees

The game reminded me a lot of hidden intruder,aliens 1989,level 7 escape,space cadets away mission,etc... all mixed up in one.

I am really looking forward to playing the production version with a group of friends.,but do not see myself playing it solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Werner
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wolvehunde wrote:
I agree, The game really shined with 4 players on TTS, but seems to be a boring solo experience to me. If it had a solo story campaign with some sort of varying alien objectives that hinder your own, maybe a different alien a.i. deck,it might be more interesting.

I posted this in another thread but I thought it was relevant here as well:

Quote:
FYI Marcin from Awaken Realms spoke about their plans for changes to solo play on the livestream on the KS campaign earlier today. You can listen to his comments here at about the 45:10 timestamp: https://live.kickstarter.com/awaken-realms/live-stream/finis......

He mentions the current solo rules but says they "will definitely work on the solo mode to provide a really cool experience."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.