13 Posts

Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Some overlapping rules clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jeffrey simbulan
Philippines
flag msg tools
1. there are some characters that says 'you may look at and keep 1 additional card'. does that mean i am FORCED to keep the drawn card?

2. if a character can kill 2 zombies when using his ability and has equipment card that says instead of killing 1 zombie you may kill 2. does that mean all in all i can kill 3 zombies?

3. as the games goes by, and for example all 2(or 3) of your STARTING survivors died. the rules says draw a character card correct? if that character died again, you will draw another one and so on. meaning for sure you will get stuck with one survivor as the game progress?

thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Pillow
United Kingdom
Worcester
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
icalculi wrote:
1. there are some characters that says 'you may look at and keep 1 additional card'. does that mean i am FORCED to keep the drawn card?

2. if a character can kill 2 zombies when using his ability and has equipment card that says instead of killing 1 zombie you may kill 2. does that mean all in all i can kill 3 zombies?

3. as the games goes by, and for example all 2(or 3) of your STARTING survivors died. the rules says draw a character card correct? if that character died again, you will draw another one and so on. meaning for sure you will get stuck with one survivor as the game progress?

1) There are no “bad” cards, or hand size so drawing an extra card is always good. Especially in the hands of someone you trust (you). As for keeping the extra card if you draw it, we play that you have to keep it.

2) Either you use a dice to make an attack with an equipment or you use it to use their ability, not both at once.

3) Some cards in locations give you more survivors, as do crossroad cards, so you might find more, but yes you could be stuck with one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Garrett
United States
Oxford
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jeffery,

I’ll try to answer your questions as best I can.

1. Given that it says you “may,” look at and keep an additional card this means that you don’t have to. Although usually if you’re searching a deck anyway, I can’t imagine why you wouldn’t want the additional card (maybe you’re referencing a secret objective?). If you look at it I’d say you have to keep it.

2. it’d be better if you could reference the specific cards you’re wondering about! That way we can tell you how that combination works.

3. When your last survivor in your following dies you remove the cards attached to that survivor (shuffle them into the location deck of the non colony location they died at OR take them back into your hand if you died at the colony). You then immediately draw a new survivor and place them at the colony adding them to your following as your group leader. So yes, you’ll always have at least one survivor to control.

Hope this helps!
Patrick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeffrey simbulan
Philippines
flag msg tools
thanks for the response guys!

as for question #1, why i would not like to keep the other card. there are some instance for example that we have many helpless survivor in the colony, hence drawing/discovering more survivor card during search would not be ideal.
so yeah, i assume if we use the ability to search for another card we are FORCED to keep that card instead of putting it back

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Garrett
United States
Oxford
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem! Remember you don’t have to play the cards that add new survivors to your following. You can just keep those cards in your hand instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeffrey simbulan
Philippines
flag msg tools
extra info for #2
for example edward white "(+1) once per round, when performing at attack with edward, you may play a medicine card to kill 3 zombies instead of 1..." and he has baseball bat as equipment "once per round when performing at attack with this survivor, you may kill 2 zombies instead of 1."

so here is what i will do.
1. pay an action die to attack with edward
2. pay another action die to use his ability and discard a medicine.
3. about to kill 3 zombie..
4. use baseball bat to convert 1 of the 3 zombie into 2 kills
5. so.. total of 4 zombies you can kill?

p.s.

if edward is in a non-colony location. pays/discards the medicine to use his ability, does the discarded medicine still goes to the waste pile?

on 1 turn if i am about to kill 4 zombies at once because of card effects. and there are 2 zombies in area1(colony) and another 2 zombies in area2(colony). can i eliminate all of them?.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeffrey simbulan
Philippines
flag msg tools
garretp2 wrote:
No problem! Remember you don’t have to play the cards that add new survivors to your following. You can just keep those cards in your hand instead.

oh my gosh! my whole life is a lie haha. i thought if we pulled a survivor card it would resolve asap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jose
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
icalculi wrote:

so here is what i will do.
1. pay an action die to attack with edward
2. pay another action die to use his ability and discard a medicine.
3. about to kill 3 zombie..
4. use baseball bat to convert 1 of the 3 zombie into 2 kills
5. so.. total of 4 zombies you can kill?

Oh wow, I was going to say no and went to back myself up with a quote from the FAQ, and instead found this: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/16579575#16579575

jgilmour wrote:
Shotgun + Switchblade - Attack with any die. Kill 2 Zombies. Add a noise if possible.

Mike Cho + Baseball bat - Kill 2 with no exposure.

Seems like weapons do stack and every group I've been playing with has been doing it wrong all along!

Quote:

if edward is in a non-colony location. pays/discards the medicine to use his ability, does the discarded medicine still goes to the waste pile?

Edward's ability can only be used at the Colony.

Quote:

on 1 turn if i am about to kill 4 zombies at once because of card effects. and there are 2 zombies in area1(colony) and another 2 zombies in area2(colony). can i eliminate all of them?.

Yes, all of the Colony locations are the "same" location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeffrey simbulan
Philippines
flag msg tools

Quote:

Quote:

Edward's ability can only be used at the Colony.

oops. yep correct.

i have a few more new clarification. they're basic but please bear with me. XD

1. if there are zero survivors in the colony (supposed they all went out to search other locations). see the ff..

1a. On the adding zombie phase to the COLONY. i should add NO zombies because of the rule '1 zombie per 2 survivor rounded up'. correct?

1b. On the pay food phase. since no people in the colony, i don't need to feed anyone. correct?

1c. Can survivor(s) located on NON-COLONY location still has the ability to "consume" the food supply to increase a die number?
because it doesn't seem logical if there are no people on the colony and i consume a food token to adjust my die number.

1d. When using item cards on non-colony location, do they still go to the colony's waste pile?

2. If surivor_A pulled a pistol on the police station. I can immediately on that turn equip it to survivor_B who is located in other location eg: school. correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Garrett
United States
Oxford
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was pretty sure things could stack! Awesome!

1a. Yep! No zombies added.

1b. Yep! No food needs to be used!

1c. Yep! You can still use the food. I know it seems a little anti-thematic but this is how my gaming group plays it!

1d. Yep! Those cards go into the waste pile. However don’t put event cards there. Event cards discard out of the game.

2. When you find items they go to your following not that specific character. So, you’re correct. You can add it to any survivor once anyone in your following picks it up.

Happy playing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jose
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
icalculi wrote:

i have a few more new clarification. they're basic but please bear with me. XD

1. if there are zero survivors in the colony (supposed they all went out to search other locations). see the ff..

1a. On the adding zombie phase to the COLONY. i should add NO zombies because of the rule '1 zombie per 2 survivor rounded up'. correct?

Correct!

Quote:
1b. On the pay food phase. since no people in the colony, i don't need to feed anyone. correct?

Correct!

Quote:
1c. Can survivor(s) located on NON-COLONY location still has the ability to "consume" the food supply to increase a die number?
because it doesn't seem logical if there are no people on the colony and i consume a food token to adjust my die number.

Any non-exile can eat food and remove a food token from the colony while they're at any location. Pretend that you brought it with you.

Quote:
1d. When using item cards on non-colony location, do they still go to the colony's waste pile?

They do.

Quote:
2. If surivor_A pulled a pistol on the police station. I can qimmediately on that turn equip it to survivor_B who is located in other location eg: school. correct?

Yes you can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
icalculi wrote:

The thematic idea is that a round in the game is much longer than one hour or even one day, so your following are all moving around, looking for items, killing zombies, etc for that whole time period, but the actions you take are the only things of note that happen to them in this time frame. So in finding a weapon while searching, you can give it to anyone in your following because that survivor has actually been back to the colony in that time frame, same with using a food token to adjust a die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeffrey simbulan
Philippines
flag msg tools
Thank you so much guys for the response! now i am more sure of the rules better

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.