Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Howard Posner
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I have the rules sorted, except for this one, which is still confusing me. Anyone with a dome/biont on an organism can buy stuff for it in the purchase phase (subject t a few caveats), but it has to be paid for with the discs/catalysts of the owner of the organism/host. That I get. Gray Board Gamer's admirable 6 hour youtube post made it clear. A brutal game where disc management is a nightmare (in a good gaming way).
But the gene transfer agent rule says that parasite players, foreign genes and endosymbionts can freely donate discs/catalysts to a tableau pool. In other words all no-owner dome holders on an organism can help out.
That makes the game very different. I get that they may not want to assist all the time, preferring to bleed the owner player, but when necessary, to trip a shared bacteria into a macro organism, or get that critical mutation, they can.
Have I read all this right? Is it now up to the non-owner dome holders on an organism to choose how they pay for their purchases?

Messy post but but it is a fairly difficult set of rules (sorry Phil).

thanks,

Howard Posner
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom B.
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes you got it right, this makes interesting choices for non-owner dome holders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike W
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding Gene Transfer Agents, that rule was discussed in a rules forum post last year and Phil gave his usual great response:

phileklund wrote:

This rule (allowing a parasite or foreign gene to contribute to the catalyst host-parasite reservoir) was a difficult decision for me, and you were perceptive to notice it's exceptional nature.

The situation is that a parasite is out for its own well-being. In gamespeak, it has its own victory conditions. Often it doesn't care if the host dies, but sometimes it wants the host to live.

If the parasite is a virus, it can't manufacture its own catalysts, but many Parasites from bacteria to prions can make unique catalysts that can contribute to the survival of the whole. If it becomes a foreign gene, it becomes a tax-paying productive member of society.

And yet the mitochondria or chloroplast has not really changed its parasitical nature. It remains heavily invested in the overall survival, yet it has its own genome, and thus it has its own victory conditions. Like all genomes, its sole imperative is to pass itself into the next generation, and thus won't give up these genes (become completely absorbed), even if the organism at large would benefit from such absorption.

You may feel that your mitochondria are fully loyal, yet if push came to shove they would abandon you in the dust if it suited their imperative. Therefore, I decided that they should pay from their own pool and decide for themselves whether to play ball or jump ship. Particularly mitochondria and chloroplasts are so important that a creature could not survive even a millisecond without the catalysts they contribute. This was the simplest rule I could make to empower the foreign genes to make the composite creature stronger.

From the thread titled "Cathalysts donations from Parasites and Endosymbionts/Foreign Genes"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Reyes
msg tools
mb
I played solo the other day, and ended with a bacterium which had four different bionts in it, I also had a mutation with fission, so I could have bought 8 mutations/promotions. I felt very porweful and thought I might be doing something wrong, but that's not it, the game rewards you if you manage to have Foreign Genes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KevinFRE wrote:
I played solo the other day, and ended with a bacterium which had four different bionts in it, I also had a mutation with fission, so I could have bought 8 mutations/promotions. I felt very porweful and thought I might be doing something wrong, but that's not it, the game rewards you if you manage to have Foreign Genes.

The trouble with lots of foreign genes is obtaining catalysts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Reyes
msg tools
mb
dsdhornet wrote:
The trouble with lots of foreign genes is obtaining catalysts.

It's a little tricky, but not that difficult. By assigning bionts to refugia, purchasing red mutations, re-rolling for ones or triples, you can easily get them.

I'm telling you this, because that's how I managed to do it that game. While Red Color focused on growing the cell and surviving, Yellow produced catalysts and then donated them to the host. The result was a double terrestrial win(?).

Edit: I wrote "becaus"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KevinFRE wrote:
It's a little tricky, but not that difficult. By assigning bionts to refugia, purchasing red mutations, re-rolling for ones or triples, you can easily get them.

Good point. I keep forgetting that in solo you have 8 bionts available to you (vs 4 in non-solo play). Thus you can have several in a micro and others running your industry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.