Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Antonio Mendoza
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to ask peoples' opinions on painting the miniatures for Rising Sun. If you choose to paint the miniatures would you choose only to paint the large miniatures (the kami and gods) or would you paint all the miniatures? The reason I ask is if the small miniatures for the different clans get painted would it be difficult to distinguish which miniatures belonged to which clan? Any advise is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Give them a bold, distinctive color scheme matching the clan color and paint the bases that color, and you should have no trouble telling them apart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Collins
msg tools
Having played unpainted, the clans look good out of the box. I’m painting the monsters first, focussing on the four in the core set (Komainu, spring blue Oni, yurei and water dragon) first, then rest of the core, then stretch goal and expansion monsters. Then the Kami. Last will be the clans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While monsters will be my focus, I will be doing up the clans as well, in a monochrome scheme for a close colour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Miller
United States
Livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just doing a wash of a darker color on the clan mini's. The monsters I'm going to try and do a stone statue effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Otradovec
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was thinking of doing the same thing. I did something similar to my Cthulhu Wars copy. How're you planning on doing the clans? Just a wash with no primer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Misha Nosiara
Australia
Como
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ll eventually paint everything but start with the core monsters. Doing it in chunks worked for my other mini heavy games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Barker
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm definitely painting all of them. I'm relying on base color to determine faction association moreso than having faction colors on the models themselves.

Right now I'm working on one of the Fox clan bushi sculpts, and it has a color scheme that somewhat favors orange and yellows, but all in shades different from what the base color will be. I'll see how it turns out when I finish today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
Favor Euros + Ameritrash, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Don't forget to have fun!
mbmbmbmbmb
Paint them all. Each clan gets a color scheme that heavily alludes to their in-game color, and each clan gets a unique method of basing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara Yorke
msg tools
I'm in a slightly different position due to the fact I am also a big L5R RPG player and want to use the minis to represent characters in that.

As such I will be painting the minis in different colours so that each bushi & Shinto sculpt can be used for 3 L5R clans. The bases will be repainted to denote RS clan colours. The Damyo figures will match the RS clan colour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Bean
msg tools
I try to give them distinct colors and I also paint their base the color of the clan.

For this game, I’ll paint the base the color of the clan and then either give them a black or white stripe around the base to help signify who is the daimyo and Shinto so I can just play without the snap on color bases.

Granted, I have like 3 other games to paint before this one so I doubt I will get to this game ever since it takes me like a year to paint one small game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Withers
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
I'm painting the whole set. It takes forever, especially with games from Eric Lang since the sculpts have so many tiny details, but it's worth it in the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hausig
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like painting the bases the clan color, usually with a glossy varnish to give the base a very polished, game piece look. I would also add some of the clan color to the figures as well, i.e., flags, trim, etc. I'll definitely add white or black around the rim of the base to imitate the rings.

For the monsters, I'll probably do seasonal colors for the base of each rim, just to provide some differentiation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would prefer the clans to be just color-coded (as they already are) and save the painting for the monsters.

I haven't painted Blood Rage, but if I did paint them it would be just to color code the clans. Much easier to see force on the map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.