13 Posts

Stuffed Fables» Forums » Rules

Subject: 2 Questions regarding status effects and skill tests rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Hoffmann
msg tools
mbmbmb
1. When you get a positive game effect/reward, that says: "Remove all status effects from all stuffies" does that include courageous cards? Rulewise I'm afraid it's the case, storywise it seems kinda counter-intuitive.

2. Are all special actions in the book to be considered as skill tests?
For example on page 9-1 you have a lot of options to add or remove dice - and the purple die passus says "If you pass a skill test ..." Are the yellow and red die options/attempts also skill tests? Cause they have a color and target difficulty number.
Or would the text have to specifically state something like: "Make a yellow/perception skill test" like in the example of the skill test section in the rule book on page 9?

Thanks for your opinions, folks, and/or ruling, Jerry.
And thank you for all the fun and cutegasms as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Andilian wrote:
1. When you get a positive game effect/reward, that says: "Remove all status effects from all stuffies" does that include courageous cards? Rulewise I'm afraid it's the case, storywise it seems kinda counter-intuitive.

For example on page 9-1 you have a lot of options to add or remove dice - and the purple die passus says "If you pass a skill test ..." Are the yellow and red die options/attempts also skill tests? Cause they have a color and target difficulty number.
Or would the text have to specifically state something like: "Make a yellow/perception skill test" like in the example of the skill test section in the rule book on page 9?

Hey, I can answer your questions.

1- This Rule Says all status effects, but it probably could have said negative status effects even though we never actually categorize them as such in the rulebook.

2- Yes these are all skill tests. Rolling yellow to remove a black dice? That is a skill test etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Bouselli
United States
Carteret
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andilian wrote:

Everything in the game in the game that is a skill test is listed as such. Page 9-1, if you read every section they all specifically say “skill test” just read the book and do what it says. But anytime you have to roll a die to determine an outcome it’s a skill check.

As for status effects, can you be more specific about what game effect says to do this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRubexCube wrote:
But anytime you have to roll a die to determine an outcome it’s a skill check.

Does that include range and melee attacks? Their rules do not call them "skill check" and I wondered if items that affect skill checks affect attacks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SirRoke wrote:
TheRubexCube wrote:

Does that include range and melee attacks? Their rules do not call them "skill check" and I wondered if items that affect skill checks affect attacks?
Those are attacks and only receive bonuses from things that say when attacking or things that give bonuses to all.

Also group tasks cannot receive any bonuses, but there are abilities/items that allow you to increase your effectiveness at group tasks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hoffmann
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks a lot, Jerry and crowd.

Off to the second adventure soon, I hope. ^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nobeerblues wrote:
SirRoke wrote:
TheRubexCube wrote:

Those are attacks and only receive bonuses from things that say when attacking or things that give bonuses to all.

Also group tasks cannot receive any bonuses, but there are abilities/items that allow you to increase your effectiveness at group tasks.

That's what I thought! Thanks for confirming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Detert
msg tools
Is using a yellow dice to search a skill test then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Ford
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, searching is a perception skill check.

[Edit] Though, now I'm not 100% sure about that, because Skill Test, and Search are listed as two separate possible actions on the Attribute Dice player aid...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Detert
msg tools
Exactly! I would love for the designer to chime in on this one (directly as it relates to the weapon "Ol' Number 2".) If the search action is a skill check then "Ol' Number 2" would have a +1 to all yellow dice search actions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Ford
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that one I AM sure wrong about... Ol' Number 2 does let you add +1 to yellow dice search actions. So, I guess I just cleared it up muddied the waters more... at least for myself. (though, if you still want an official ruling, I won't hold it against you )

[Edit] changed my statement above, since Archonyx changed my mind. (see the below post.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dreign13 wrote:
Is using a yellow dice to search a skill test then?

Mnty4rd wrote:
Ol' Number 2 does let you add +1 to yellow dice search actions.

I don't think so. Compare the following cards:

Ol' Number 2: Add 1 to yellow die results when performing a yellow skill test.
Shiny Buttons: Add 2 to yellow die results when searching or performing a yellow skill test
Yellow Cap: Add 1 to all yellow die results

These appear to be three separate things. In particular, if searching counted as a yellow skill test, then Shiny Buttons would be worded the same as Ol' Number 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Ford
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Archonyx wrote:
I don't think so. Compare the following cards:

Ol' Number 2: Add 1 to yellow die results when performing a yellow skill test.
Shiny Buttons: Add 2 to yellow die results when searching or performing a yellow skill test
Yellow Cap: Add 1 to all yellow die results

These appear to be three separate things. In particular, if searching counted as a yellow skill test, then Shiny Buttons would be worded the same as Ol' Number 2.
Ooooh... nice call. I didn't think to reference other item cards to see if there was anything that might clarify things. The example you give with Shiny Buttons and Yellow Cap is a good argument, and I would agree that search is not a yellow skill test.

Thank you

[Edit] if you don't format your quotes correctly, you could shoot your eye out (iow, removing an extra quote bracket that wandered into my post...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.