Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
This little dude is "Shadax", the protagonist from the NES game Solstice.
mbmbmbmbmb
Time and time again this game haunts my boardgame contemplations.
I played it a couple of times and although excrutiatingly long and difficult there is something there that I just won't get over. If I try to pinpoint it I would say it's that:
- This game has a wonderous theme. I love its fantasy/arthurian feel.
- It's a fantasy game with zero focus on fighting or machismo. You're repeeling evil not with your blade or fire balls, but with good deeds and adventure. Some would say its feminist, I'm not sure I agree but I do think It's great for both boys and girls.
- It's a pick up and deliver game, with a fantasy theme which seems (at least to me) rather unique.
- There's player progression. The difference in maneuverability at the start of the game and the end is really big.

So. If anybody cares, I really think this game shoul be considered for a 2nd edition. Most of the contents of the game are still relevant today and the theme doesn't have to change at all. But I would suggest a couple of changes though:

- Make the game fully cooperative. The game can be pretty cruel to you sometimes, and it just makes it so much worse to know that your also competeing against the other players.
- Create an app to manage the random encounters. A lot of time is wasted in rolling on tables in this game. With the dawn of smart phones we could speed that part up a bit.
- Reduce the randomness of the game a bit. Chiefly, the roll-and-move mechanic on your turn. Make it a constant 4 movement points instead or something like that.
- Produce the game in a manner befitting its theme. I.e. make it really pop on thr table! Brilliant colors on the island tile. Make miniatures for the players, wizards, horses, boats, sorcerers' towers, winged horses, dragon etc. Make player mats so players can easily see which spells they can use for which order. And lastly put some fabulous art on the cards.
- Shorten the game a tad. Perhapd by throwing out some inhibiting rules like the one which states that you can't accept or do quests before joining an order. Or let players start gathering gems already at level 3.

Well, those are my thoughts. Just thought I should post them somewhere... Maybe I'll do my own remake of the game someday, but I doubt I have the time/tools/skill to do it. Regardless though this game doesn't deserve to be thrown out and forgotten this game deserves to come back, onto our gaming tables and into our hearts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
CT
flag msg tools
ConnCon 2018 March 23, 24, 25 in Stamford, CT
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree! This game is pretty unique and would be even better with a modern update to the mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally agree with you about this and in the video I made on the game I house ruled a few things as you discuss (such as starting quests right away) and making more of a true co-op feel.

What the game sorely lacks--and what its contemporary Divine Right managed somehow--are tons of counters representing the quest items. Maybe the quests are too varied to have them all but at a minimum there should be a unicorn or horse or whatever it is you get to travel.

The task markers really suck the theme out of the game. Also, it is just way too long. The end game drags a ton and that is harder to fix without a major rules overhaul.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert LaPrelle
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I would love to see a 2nd edition! Although, my preference would be to see encounters done through an encounter deck rather than through an app. I would also re-balance a lot of the game to remove most/all of the "skip turns" and "lose gem" events.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.