Popular Tags: [View All]
N Jones
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
You are who you choose to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
Having the attribute markers match the color of the attribute instead of the player color seems a little non-intuitive.

During gameplay the player board is an easy way to see where another player stands. If the markers matched the player then it would ease the cognitive load of translating each player's progress. (i.e. Bricks, Pots, Shield, Coin are all RED for player RED, all YELLOW for player YELLOW and so on).

Am I overthinking this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

(Also super ugly.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
マルコ
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Eine wunderbare Heiterkeit hat meine ganze Seele eingenommen, gleich den süßen Frühlingsmorgen, die ich mit ganzem Herzen genieße. Ich bin allein und freue mich meines Lebens in dieser Gegend, die für solche Seelen geschaffen ist wie die meine.
mbmbmbmbmb
N Jones wrote:
If the markers matched the player then it would ease the cognitive load of translating each player's progress. (i.e. Bricks, Pots, Shield, Coin are all RED for player RED, all YELLOW for player YELLOW and so on).

The markers are all on the player's board right in front of them. So, it's better to know e.g. what a quite advanced marker stands for, than whose marker it is. (Just look on whose board it is.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N Jones
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
You are who you choose to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
max bredow wrote:
N Jones wrote:
If the markers matched the player then it would ease the cognitive load of translating each player's progress. (i.e. Bricks, Pots, Shield, Coin are all RED for player RED, all YELLOW for player YELLOW and so on).

The markers are all on the player's board right in front of them. So, it's better to know e.g. what a quite advanced marker stands for, than whose marker it is. (Just look on whose board it is.)

Yes, one can see the player board in front of them, but it takes unnecessary effort to determine what color the player is. My concern comes from one who would do a quick survey of the board and player boards. Having a player surrounded by a single color eases that effort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Killelea
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I disagree.

I think it looks way better with the colors they have. Additionally I can't imagine forgetting who is who sitting at a table playing a game... and if I were to forget, I will see all of their population disks in their area and buildings which would be more than enough to remind me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keeping them the way they are helps me determine what's on MY board much easier and makes it easy for me to decern where others are at on their boards. I can easily remember other players colors. Changing them in my opinion would mess it up immensely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Cappel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
N Jones wrote:
Having the attribute markers match the color of the attribute instead of the player color seems a little non-intuitive.

During gameplay the player board is an easy way to see where another player stands. If the markers matched the player then it would ease the cognitive load of translating each player's progress. (i.e. Bricks, Pots, Shield, Coin are all RED for player RED, all YELLOW for player YELLOW and so on).

Am I overthinking this?

You aren't over-thinking this, because we did our own in-house thinking and discussion before deciding on this direction.

The 3D markers look waaaayyy better in these colours than they do in a single player colour. Frankly they're ugly in the player colours.

Each player will literally always have discs of their colour on their player mat (whether in their buildings or in their harbor), not to mention a supply of discs in their colour off to the side. It's not difficult at all to see who is purple, who is yellow, etc.

I like that you're thinking about this though... usability is a big part of development and we love having people like you keeping their eyes open.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
Yes.

(Also super ugly.)

very true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd F
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Outside Lime wrote:
You aren't over-thinking this, because we did our own in-house thinking and discussion before deciding on this direction.

That is awesome! I greatly applaud the explicit focus on usability, especially as a backer.

Having said that, and as just a small suggestion for the future, I would prefer to have heard this instead: "We did our own in-house thinking, discussion, etc. and then we tested our hypotheses with real users.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.