Popular Tags: [View All]
Don Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a blast playing Frodo while my 4 buddies each had a Nazgul.

We only played Part I, but it's a solid design with replay-ability, tension and plenty of room for tactics and strategy. The Ally and Sorcery decks are well done.

The best part was listening to the Nazgul talk about what to do and where to go and actually argue! Priceless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Im surprised to hear this... How long did the game take? I heard this was really a 2 player game at best.

I can only relate to my experience with letters from whitechapel. I played it with 5 one time and it took about 3.5 hrs because EVERY move became a 5 minute discussion between all the police. I like hearing to conversation too but i jad my moves already planned out and i was getting sick of the debates after a couple hours. I just wanted to finish it one way or another lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve played with part 1, with five players, twice. I think it was less than 90 minutes both times.

I think the amount of coordination required between Nazgul players isn’t as extreme as in Whitechapel. In Whitechapel, you need spread out effectively to cut off possible moves for Jack and box him in. In Hunt, the Nazgul don’t block Frodo’s movement and so they don’t need to coordinate their moves to the same degree.

When you roll multiple ring symbols, there’s usually some coordination in which Nazgul is going to use them and in which zones, but that’s fairly straightforward to decide.

And aside from chasing after Frodo, you might want some Nazgul to go after information tokens instead, or park on a dark location a while to do sorcery if you didn’t roll any claws.

Later in the game, when Frodo’s position is narrowed down to a few possibilities, it’s usually about diving your hunts/searches between the possible locations, and again it’s pretty straightforward to decide which Nazgul is going to go where.

Anyway, I think that mechanically, more Nazgul players is a disadvantage for them in part 1. They start with more cards, and effectively have a higher hand limit, but they have much less flexibility in how they can use their cards (the ability to have one Nazgul draw a card and another Nazgul play it can be done only when they are controlled by the same player). Plus Frodo will hear all of their discussion and may find out things about their cards or where they are planning to search.

The disadvantage of card flexibility may be mitigated going into part 2 - since more players means you can carry forward a much higher number of sorcery cards, and the ability to redistribute them at the start of part 2 gives you the chance to make sure the card can be used effectively even if it could not be in part 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
shooshoo wrote:
I heard this was really a 2 player game at best.

The game works great with 3 - each Nazgul player gets 2 Nazgul. No problem.

Yes, it maybe adds some time while they agree a course of action. But it's not prohibitive, and most games take a bit longer with more players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think 2 nazgul players seems ideal but i see what u mean about whitechapel. This does not sound like the same thing exactly. Looking forward to trying this one out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.