Mister iBlue
Belgium
flag msg tools
The Runes and prayer rules are very unclear to me!

1) God's peace: All viking units & leaders must move to an adjacent empty or friendly shire. I suppose that's end the battle. But if the viking leader has movements left, can he move back in to the English controlled shire and battle again or does it ends all his movements?

2) Defend of the faith: Choose to draw a fyrd card and add the listed number of fyrd to the battle. The example says that they are added to the battle but that they do NOT roll their fyrd dice. What is the point of adding them to the battle if you can not role their dice? If attacking a city shire (English occupied) They can draw a fyrd card anyway, does they get a second fyrd card with Defend of the Faith? If the English attack do they also may add the fyrd with Defend of the faith and not roll their dice?

3) the rules: If i understand it correctly, each dice effect is immediately removed from the card and can be re-rolled in the next battle? The new re-rolled dice are put back on the card and can form new dice effects with the dice who were still on the card, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Man
msg tools
runes and prayer expansion: God's peace, Defend of the Faith & the rules
Re: God's Peace, there is also a thread about whether the roll counts

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1921688/gods-peace-prayer-e...

Gaski's question also good as well!

To try to answer Gaski

1. I would guess that God's Peace stops their movement

2. The Fyrd doesn't roll, but is there for axe and arrow fodder, and will roll next turn

Edit

God's peace would stop a leaderless army from moving again, as they commit to their movement. I would say a Leader could use remaining moves, even to fight again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mister iBlue
Belgium
flag msg tools
Mr_Blue wrote:

1) God's peace: All viking units & leaders must move to an adjacent empty or friendly shire. I suppose that's end the battle. But if the viking leader has movements left, can he move back in to the English controlled shire and battle again or does it ends all his movements?

An answer i found in another threat:

Runes and Prayer

If the English result God's Peace forces the Vikings to retreat from the Battle Shire, does it cost them a movement point to do so? Is their turn ended if this occurs? (Yes, it costs one movement point. If the Vikings have a Leader, and movement points left after the retreat, they may continue their turn.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you PM'd me about Defender of the Faith, I've answered it on my FAQ thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mister iBlue
Belgium
flag msg tools
Mr_Blue wrote:

2) Defend of the faith: Choose to draw a fyrd card and add the listed number of fyrd to the battle. The example says that they are added to the battle but that they do NOT roll their fyrd dice. What is the point of adding them to the battle if you can not role their dice? If attacking a city shire (English occupied) They can draw a fyrd card anyway, does they get a second fyrd card with Defend of the Faith? If the English attack do they also may add the fyrd with Defend of the faith and not roll their dice?

3) the rules: If i understand it correctly, each dice effect is immediately removed from the card and can be re-rolled in the next battle? The new re-rolled dice are put back on the card and can form new dice effects with the dice who were still on the card, correct?

I've got an official answer to this questions from ACADEMY GAMES:

Thank you for contacting Academy Games! Let's take a look at these rules.

1) It does not end all movement. Example: Let's say that the viking player plays a 2 Armies move 4 spaces movement card and then moves Rollo into an adjacent shire and initiates a battle. They expend one movement point to move into the shire and both players have a round of battle. Both players opt to roll a rune and prayer die each, and both English and Viking results come up 'Conversion'. Both players still have units in the shire so a second round of battle occurs, expending an additional movement point for Rollo's army. Both players again roll their rune/prayer dice and again, both results come up 'Conversion'. Now the English player has enough conversion results to use the 'God's Peace' power. Since the English player gets to decide when to active this power, they opt to do so before the Viking player rolls their battle dice, so the English player rolls, the Vikings take hits from the English defenders and then are ejected when 'God's Peace' is applied after the English dice are applied. The Viking player moves to an adjacent shire, and the battle ends, causing all unspent rune and prayer dice to be removed from the cards. This movement for the Viking Player is considered equivalent to a command decision, so they do not expend a movement point when they are ejected from a shire. The Viking player does still have two movement points left of the original 4, so they are able to move back into the shire they were ejected from and complete a second battle, if so desired. Because it is a new battle, the English would get to draw another Fyrd card if they are defending in a city shire. Either way, the English player has made it very costly for the Viking player to take that particular shire.

2) Using Defender of the Faith bolsters your army strength, allowing you to take hits on the statistically less valuable Fyrd units and hopefully insulating your higher value Housecarl and Thegn units from hits. If the Vikings attack an English city, they English player draws the Fyrd card at the start of the battle, and gets to roll the Fyrd battle dice for those units. Because Rune and Prayer powers activate after dice are rolled, but before results are applied, the English player would have already rolled their dice when Defender of the Faith is activated, so they would not get to roll additional dice when the second Fyrd card is drawn.

3) Yes, you are correct. As you use dice to activate the powers listed on the card, they are removed from the card and placed back into the pool of dice that you can roll from. It is important to note that any conversion faces that are rolled on the Viking dice are placed on the English prayer card, and will not be returned to the Viking player until they are either spent or the battle ends.

Thank you for your support, and enjoy 878 Vikings!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.