7 Posts

Pandemic Legacy: Season 1» Forums » Rules

Subject: Box 6 rules query *SPOILERS* rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian N
msg tools
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Box 6 introduces the Sabotage action. That raised the following queries in my group.

Q1) Can we build Military Bases with the express aim of sabotaging them?

(The accumulated FAQ has the answer as "yes", but unconfirmed; but that then raised the following: )

Q2) If we sabotage a Base on a Starting Base city, the rules say to replace the Starting Base sticker with a Destroyed Base sticker.
- Q2a) Can we still build a Military Base on that city, and
- Q2b) if so, can we choose to place a new Starting Base sticker there as a Game End Upgrade?

(The rules don't seem to prohibit either - and clearly we'll run out of stickers pretty fast - but both seem somewhat at odds with the extra rules for set up under "Their Network is Expanding".)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Kr├╝ger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can still build bases. The game does not ask for which purpose. Not sure about the others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian N
msg tools
I'm suggesting to my group that we go with "Yes" to Q2a, and "No" to Q2b.
"Yes" to Q2a because sabotaging a Base anywhere else doesn't stop you building one there again later, or even immediately, so it's not obvious why the fact that that Base happened to be on a Starting Base city should make any difference.

"No" to Q2b because that seems directly at odds with the new set up mechanism.
(And whilst it's always risky trying to second-guess the designers - I can see possible design intent in the new mechanisms, and those seem like the answers that likely fit that best.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin V

Mount Oliver
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know that adding a starting military base sticker as a game end upgrade is disallowed for any reason. It wouldn't prevent the additional base placed by the Expanding Network either.

I personally would say yes to both, although I don't know that adding starting military bases is really in your best interest strategy wise at this point because of the new rules.

Probably a minor issue at best though with whatever ruling you choose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Fortunately, I asked that very question in my "infrequently asked questions" thread, and Matt Leacock kindly gave a definitive answer.

So:

1) Yes, you can build bases to Sabotage. (And if you don't have enough left, you'll have to do that if you want to meet the Sabotage objective.)

2a) Yes, you can build a Military Base on the ruins of a Sabotaged military base

2b) Yes, you can make it into a new starting Military Base, even if you've burned down another starting Military Base in that same spot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian N
msg tools
clivej wrote:
Fortunately, I asked that very question in my "infrequently asked questions" thread, and Matt Leacock kindly gave a definitive answer.

So:

1) Yes, you can build bases to Sabotage. (And if you don't have enough left, you'll have to do that if you want to meet the Sabotage objective.)

2a) Yes, you can build a Military Base on the ruins of a Sabotaged military base

2b) Yes, you can make it into a new starting Military Base, even if you've burned down another starting Military Base in that same spot.

Excellent - I'd missed that reply.
Being allowed, in particular, to upgrade a base to a starting Base on the site of a sabotaged base, was our big point of debate. Allowing it seemed (and seems) at direct odds with the extra set up mechanism. But if Matt has confirmed it's permitted, I'm sure we'll play it that way. If, that is, it should arise for the exactly one possible base that we'd still have the luxury of placing that way (we only have two stickers left anyway, and one of those will go at game start next time.... ...but it's nice to be clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Schofield
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But anyways,
if you had completed the objective of building the base in each region before that objective got removed, you have at maximum two starting military base stickers remaining.. at least if like us you wanted that objective to be permanently finished.. Lol at me for thinking that something was permanent!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.