Hide
18 Posts

Rise to Nobility» Forums » Rules

Subject: running out of guild hall and council tiles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Taylor
msg tools
What is the intention of when you run out of guild hall buildings or stone council tiles? The rules mention discarding the various at certain time, like when you clear them or use them, but could they recycle back into the pool? or are they supposed to be limited resources?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Is someone just going crazy using Berk's to discard these tiles? We didn't get anywhere NEAR using all of them (though granted it was 3p).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Smith
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had the same thing happen with the Stone Council Tiles with 5 players. I couldn't find the rule on this either. We just left them blank and did not fill those spaces. I would like to know as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Just to make sure, was everyone following the Stone Council rules fully? We made the dumb mistake of thinking they were GIVING us resources instead of requiring them to be paid. The other thing I think you could overlook is that you have to have a settlers card built of the same race as the council member you are dealing with, and you have to be up to the same amount on the nobility track (at least purple shield or silver shield).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Taylor
msg tools
played it completely correct. There are only 12 extra stone council tiles and with 5 players, everyone only has to use 3 of them and you already run out of tiles. Considering this is one of the major ways to get VP once the buildings are bought...it was a very active option during the last 3-4 rounds... with reputations up high it was easy to afford the loss of 2 per purchase. I found the stone council quicker to access at the end than settlers.

For the guild hall, only got swept once, but with certain guilds filled, you start cycling through the buildings quicker at the end of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I do know is that the Stone Counsel refills at the end of each round, not immediately, which is similar to the building location, so that may delay some tiles from getting out, but it probably doesn't mean much in the end.

In my one play, we were keeping the tiles next to our personal player board. But there is no reason why you can't score the tiles immediately and then put them back into circulation at the bottom of the stack of extras to be recycled back into the game when the Stone Counsel gets refreshed at the end of each round. I don't believe there are any end game bonus cards that score for the number of Stone Counsel tiles you collect, but admittedly, I didn't look at the commission cards from the Chancery expansion all that closely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vojkan Krstevski
Macedonia
Skopje
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
The Stone Council tiles are limited.

When you complete them, you don't form a discard pile that is later replenished if you ran out of tiles. In fact, you keep them for yourself. This is especially important if/when you play with the Chancery because there is a City Commission card that let you score extra end game VPs for every Stone Council tile completed.

As for Buildings, "clearing" them through Berk the Clerk's Office forms a discard pile. Once you run out of buildings, the discard pile is mixed up and placed in the bag to form a new pile.

Hope it's clear now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Pinedo
United States
California
flag msg tools
crmnlst wrote:
played it completely correct. There are only 12 extra stone council tiles and with 5 players, everyone only has to use 3 of them and you already run out of tiles. Considering this is one of the major ways to get VP once the buildings are bought...it was a very active option during the last 3-4 rounds... with reputations up high it was easy to afford the loss of 2 per purchase.

I’m actually wondering how it’s even possible to start buying those council tiles so early that you’re running out, especially since you’re saying it’s a popular option by round seven/eight. The first four-five rounds you barely have any Nobility, having to get all the settlers, having all the resources possible, and the money to buy the buildings and what not.

Starting from round six, if no one has bought any council tiles, you should have enough for round ten. Let’s say you do start at round five, and all three spots are being used each round. By the end of round nine, you’ll only be three council tiles short going into round ten. Is it really that big of a deal? Somehow I doubt that in a 5-player game especially, that everyone is already so far ahead and finished all they need to do by round five, that stone council tiles are that much in demand.

Going full ham on settlers, especially with all community buildings in place is a great way to get tons more points. Actually won a game once that way by a pretty good margin. Don’t think that stone council tiles are your only source of end game. I only ended up getting one right at the end. Just different routes to take for victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cyr
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yurion wrote:
Let’s say you do start at round five, and all three spots are being used each round.

You've made the mistake of thinking that there are only 3 spots in the Stone Council. There are actually 18 spots. You don't place the die on the left side (where the 1-2, 3-4, etc. are shown); you place it on the space where the tile is that you're claiming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mikecyr wrote:
Yurion wrote:
Let’s say you do start at round five, and all three spots are being used each round.

You've made the mistake of thinking that there are only 3 spots in the Stone Council. There are actually 18 spots. You don't place the die on the left side (where the 1-2, 3-4, etc. are shown); you place it on the space where the tile is that your claiming.

We made this mistake as well. It's an easy one to miss as it's different than all the other dice placement rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Pinedo
United States
California
flag msg tools
My bad then, well I can see the problem. Had it been the way I described it would have solved that issue, sorta... lol. But yea, with only 12 extra stone council tiles, I can see where things can easily go from full to empty in a 5-6 player game. Seems like an extra 8-12 tiles could have gone a longer way. Then again, maybe that was the intent as well. Such a commodity that they want you fighting hard for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Yurion wrote:
My bad then, well I can see the problem. Had it been the way I described it would have solved that issue, sorta... lol. But yea, with only 12 extra stone council tiles, I can see where things can easily go from full to empty in a 5-6 player game. Seems like an extra 8-12 tiles could have gone a longer way. Then again, maybe that was the intent as well. Such a commodity that they want you fighting hard for it.

The designer posted above saying that was the intent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Emch
United States
Maumee
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crmnlst wrote:
played it completely correct. There are only 12 extra stone council tiles and with 5 players, everyone only has to use 3 of them and you already run out of tiles. Considering this is one of the major ways to get VP once the buildings are bought...it was a very active option during the last 3-4 rounds... with reputations up high it was easy to afford the loss of 2 per purchase. I found the stone council quicker to access at the end than settlers.

For the guild hall, only got swept once, but with certain guilds filled, you start cycling through the buildings quicker at the end of the game.

Time out. There are 30 stone council tiles. With 5 players, everyone could buy 6 before they are gone. Plus you lose 2 reputation every time you buy one, so it will quickly zap your ability to play a lot of dice.

And some of them require a nobility rating of 12 (I believe) before you can purchase them. I find it hard that you would run out of stone council tiles, even with 5 or 6 people.

And you have 48 building tiles. With 6 guilds x 3 spaces, that's only 18 building tiles. With 6 players, you have 18 community buildings potential spots(I don't know how many are included).

But doing all those things in one game seems pretty improbable.

So what am I missing here? Do I have the rules wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
emcher wrote:
So what am I missing here?

That the OP isn't necessarily saying "every single tile has been taken." They're saying there are no tiles to refill empty spots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Emch
United States
Maumee
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jepmn wrote:
emcher wrote:

That the OP isn't necessarily saying "every single tile has been taken." They're saying there are no tiles to refill empty spots.

Got it. That would happen after the 13th tile was taken, right.

As we've read in earlier/other posts buildings are recycled after you run out pulling from the bag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
emcher wrote:
jepmn wrote:
emcher wrote:

Got it. That would happen after the 13th tile was taken, right.

As we've read in earlier/other posts buildings are recycled after you run out pulling from the bag.

Yes, buildings. But not SC tiles. They are a limited resource.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Daigle
United States
Avondale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After our first play last night, this thread seems baffling... we only bought 2 tiles from the stone council. It’s extremely costly and difficult to buy them. If I understand it correctly

Must have settlers of that time
Must have nobility of the tile
Must have the appropriate die
Must have the goods and money

Again I was the only one who bought them due to their cost where other players found settlers and workshops more beneficial....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hagaf22 wrote:
Again I was the only one who bought them due to their cost where other players found settlers and workshops more beneficial....

They're generally much more useful mid- to late-game. At that point, if you've played it right you are getting plenty of money and goods. Plus, you can only ever play seven settlers, so if you're doing it right you're likely to run out of those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.